Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #24,721 of 48,564
Does anyone know how much different the dt770-80 sounds compared to the 250 omhs? I am going to demo the 250 version and the ultrasone pro 900 with a Fiio e12. They don't have the 80 in stock so the 250 is my only option.

Also, is the Fiio e12 better than the e17? I will also be pairing with a mix amp when gaming.

Is

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #24,724 of 48,564
Is that really true though? I mean I love the the look of the q107's but I've read so often that it's a complete waste without proper amping. I'll be running them with my xbox one without a mixamp and through either a SB Omni or Xonar U3 (haven't researched that one yet, any advice?) with my laptop.

As for the KRK closed cans, I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice that much positional accuracy. But I'll look into them, thanks!

It's not a "complete waste" if you're not going to amp it.  It's just that you're not going to hear them at their best with no amp.  You'd be better off buying a slightly "worse" headphone that doesn't need amping.

Heres how my math brain thinks of it:  
Q701 with no amp = 8/10
Heaphone X with no amp = 9/10
Q701 with amp = 10/10

You're not getting a BAD headphone when using the Q701 with no amp.  You could get one that's a little better with no amp and come out ahead.  OR you could get the Q701 and then get an amp later when you can afford it and you'll end up with a better setup overall.  Options are nice.

The important thing is to understand that, if you've never heard any of these audiophile headphones for gaming before, an 8/10 will still blow your ******* mind.  You should only be sweating the finer distinctions if you already have some experience to guide your decision.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #24,725 of 48,564
Random Destiny thought:  I've never played a Halo game before, but I've read about how great the controls are and how all other games try to emulate it as the benchmark.  I can say that the controls for Destiny feel amazing.  If this is what people are talking about, I'm a believer.  I suck at FPS games, yet here I am using a Scout Rifle and just getting headshot after headshot.  Thumbs up!

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #24,726 of 48,564
Random Destiny thought:  I've never played a Halo game before, but I've read about how great the controls are and how all other games try to emulate it as the benchmark.  I can say that the controls for Destiny feel amazing.  If this is what people are talking about, I'm a believer.  I suck at FPS games, yet here I am using a Scout Rifle and just getting headshot after headshot.  Thumbs up!

If you're getting "headshot after headshot" and you never player Halo, the game must suck and not be anything like Halo 1,2 or 3.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #24,727 of 48,564
Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums after doing alot of research around the internet.

I tried my best to try to learn what i needed to go it myself but im just absolutely overloaded with options and information to the point where i just cant process it all myself.

So this is my first venture into audiophile headphones, my G35 snapped off the earphone when i accidently dropped it off my bed and i decided it was time to go another venture in technology into the audiophile area.

Firstly i mainly intend on the headset being used for gaming, followed closely by music/movies. Ill be using it on a desktop computer, the mobo is a sabertooth 990fx if that information is needed at all. If you need any more info just ask.

So basically after pouring over the OP and alot of other reviews around the net ive gone ahead and ordered a AKG K612 Pro, i havent ordered an amp or a dac for it nor a sound card. I am leaning towards getting a mod mic for it as i do need the mic for gaming. 

So my questions are;

1) Is there a best option for being on a budget? (amp/soundcard??/mic)

2) From my understanding the K612 is on the harder side of headphones to drive, does this basically mean to get good sound quality from it i need to invest in an amp?

Tldr;

I need help understanding the relation between dac's/soundcards/dedicated amp's, im on a budget and would like the cheapeast possible median to get good sound quality/experience from a AKG K612.

Its to my understanding that all onboard soundcards are just balls and just picking up a starter DAC would help tremendously, at the moment im just looking for small purchases that give big increases in quality if such things exist, if i can afford the more expensive-for-minor-upgrades later i can look into that then.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #24,728 of 48,564
I found a store to buy the headphones. Now the only doubt is what is what headphone will be the best for competitive (fps games).
Headphones available:
AD700X
HD598
HD558

I can take this three for almost the same price, the 598 is a little more expensive.
Anyway, i just want to know what is the best one to fps games.
Thanks!

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #24,730 of 48,564
My Shure 1540 pads came in today!
I've never replaced pads on headphones before, so that took a brief learning curve (especially since the 1540 pads don't fit as snug in the groove as the original HP100 pads), but overall I think they make a big improvement, at least in comfort!  My ears don't stick out much but I did feel that they were a bit close to the fabric covering the drivers at times.  The 1540 pads are definitely deeper than stock pads, so I no longer have this problem.  I've never worn velour pads before, so I can't compare to that, but I do feel these are slightly more "breathable" than the stock pleather while still giving a nice seal around my ears.

I haven't listened to enough music yet to make a judgment on sound, but I DO feel that they increase the "bass feel" noticeably, which isn't unwanted on my part.  When testing with some tracks like Massive Attack - Angel, the bass is definitely more present, while still being more distinct than my old Sony Pulse Elites (which apparently have "bloated bass"?).  However, I also noticed that the snare drums and hi-hat are not as pronounced as they were with stock pads.  I only notice this now because this was a huge difference from my old Sony Pulse Elites, but now the difference isn't as distinct.

I was worried that the pads made my music more muffled, so I put on some classical and electric strings (along with some Daft Punk).  I'm glad to say that strings and vocals sound as clear as before, at least to my ears.  

I'll definitely be keeping these pads on, and I appreciate the recommendation, Change!  Thanks everyone!

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #24,731 of 48,564
Originally Posted by Kammo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snip

AKG K612 Pro,  budget? (amp/soundcard??/mic)

From my understanding the K612 is on the harder side of headphones to drive, does this basically mean to get good sound quality from it i need to invest in an amp?

snip

Yes they are hard to drive! Give them a go with what you have now but if you find them too quiet try and pick up a Xonar DG or something similar.

As mentioned before, grab a desktop mic as having one attached can be annoying. I use a crappy trust branded mic and it does the job well.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #24,732 of 48,564
Kammo,
There are two amping challenges/things amps can help with headphones.

1.) low impedance headphones (like 32 ohm headphones made for iPods, most common today) benefit from a large pool of Current to draw from (at listening volumes) in order to prevent distortion and clipping problems (harsh highs and flabby bass, etc).

2.) High impedance headphones need more Voltage to be able to sound loud enough, but usually they have plenty of current at listening volumes.

A headphone's sensitivity and an amp's "clarity" and design also plays a role in "loudness" and quality, but to keep things simple and speaking in a general sense, a higher Ohm headphone will sound great as long as you can amp it loud enough (and your amp isn't really cheap/crappy/colored).

The K612 has 120 ohms impedance, but it was plenty loud from my Omni and my Turtle Beach DSS. 120 Ohms is higher than most, but it still benefits from a clean amp that also supplies plenty of current. If I lost all my headphones and I wanted a good price value that would be great for years, I'd buy a K612 too.

If you're getting "headshot after headshot" and you never player Halo, the game must suck and not be anything like Halo 1,2 or 3.

There's what feels like a bit of a larger headshot hitbox than what you see, but unlike CoD I don't notice a sticky autoaim that will sometimes drag your aim if someone runs by. It is by no means easy to snipe headshots in the Crucible PvP arena, but in the co-op stuff it feels like you get what you try to aim for.

Some people will just dislike no matter what though. I can understand people disliking hit detection or graphical styles, I only think people are just being ignorant if they get mad at Bungie for "favoring Sony" and "abandoning the Xbox community that made them." Bungie was a Mac-only game dev, then they were bought by Microsoft and much of what's happened since then has been influenced by 3rd parties. I'm glad to see a new IP.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #24,733 of 48,564
I've never replaced pads on headphones before, so that took a brief learning curve (especially since the 1540 pads don't fit as snug in the groove as the original HP100 pads), but overall I think they make a big improvement, at least in comfort!  My ears don't stick out much but I did feel that they were a bit close to the fabric covering the drivers at times.  The 1540 pads are definitely deeper than stock pads, so I no longer have this problem.  I've never worn velour pads before, so I can't compare to that, but I do feel these are slightly more "breathable" than the stock pleather while still giving a nice seal around my ears.

I haven't listened to enough music yet to make a judgment on sound, but I DO feel that they increase the "bass feel" noticeably, which isn't unwanted on my part.  When testing with some tracks like Massive Attack - Angel, the bass is definitely more present, while still being more distinct than my old Sony Pulse Elites (which apparently have "bloated bass"?).  However, I also noticed that the snare drums and hi-hat are not as pronounced as they were with stock pads.  I only notice this now because this was a huge difference from my old Sony Pulse Elites, but now the difference isn't as distinct.

I was worried that the pads made my music more muffled, so I put on some classical and electric strings (along with some Daft Punk).  I'm glad to say that strings and vocals sound as clear as before, at least to my ears.  

I'll definitely be keeping these pads on, and I appreciate the recommendation, Change!  Thanks everyone!

Glad you like the results! I'm guessing the pads fixed that 'sibilance' issue you noticed on some tracks? Yes, the HP100 gets a bit hot up top on some badly recorded tracks. With it's stock sub bass boost and linear mid bass, I can only imagine the wonders these pads are doing for them :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #24,734 of 48,564

So sonically, you'd say they increase bass and decrease highs and mids somewhat?  Have you noticed any difference in isolation levels (specifically in how well they isolate from outside noise coming in)?

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #24,735 of 48,564
Thanks for the help Stillhart, cokker, Evshrug.

I went ahead and ordered the Omni today as it was leaps and bounds cheaper then anything else that i was considering and it has good reviews to boot!

Will come back and let you know how my first experience goes once they've both arrived.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back