Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #24,632 of 48,562
  can someone recommend and all rounder headphone for me, I plan to use it for gaming mainly but I still want my music to sound good, I listen to all sorts of music btw and I watch movies from time to time.

-prefer it to be comfy (not leather) for long hours of use, and my budget is 200$
-hearing small details in games like footsteps is very important to me (CS:GO) 

I have my eyes set on these so far:
1-HD558 (open but I heard it lacks bass)
2-Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (closed but I heard the soundstage on these is pretty good)
3-Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 (heard this one is pretty bad) 
4-Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (semi-open)

if you guys have any other suggestions or something in my budget that would be great.

FOTM right now seems to be the AKG K612 Pro.  I haven't personally heard them, but everyone who has says they're amazing for the price.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #24,633 of 48,562
Do you happen to have an amp? If so I would recommend the Q701s. They can easily be made a bit more bassy (or fun) with either a change of pads or removing a small piece of tape that covers the bass port. They fit within your budget (on amazon new or used) but would definite be outside of it if you don't have a headphone amp. A lot of ppl seem to like the 880s, but I'm not sure if they require any extra juice or not.

I dont have an amp but I plan to get a sound card with amp

Also, if you are open to buying a used set of cans you can likely get the fidelio X1 for just under 200. That would likely fill all of your must haves. Judging by the review for MLE you wouldn't need an amp.

fidelio X1 looks perfect but I am scared of the pads since they cant be replaced.

FOTM right now seems to be the AKG K612 Pro.  I haven't personally heard them, but everyone who has says they're amazing for the price.

anyone know more about the AKG K612 Pro, and AKG in general I have no clue about em.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #24,634 of 48,562

anyone know more about the AKG K612 Pro, and AKG in general I have no clue about em.

Not to be too much of a dick, but there's a huge guide on the first page of this thread with lots of information on the K612 and other cans.  There's also a search button where you can read up on what everyone thinks about the K612, since we've discussed it many times.  

Maybe start there and if you have more specific questions let us know.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #24,635 of 48,562
I just received my Soundmagic HP100's!  My Soundblaster Omni is in the mail and should arrive tonight as well, but for now I am testing it merely using my laptop's Realtek DAC/Amp (laughable, I know).

First impressions: I like the build overall!  The HP100 is surprisingly light, and don't exert too much clamping force on my head.  Compared to my Sony Pulse Elite, I feel like I can wear them for a lot longer because my head is no longer in a vice grip.  However, the ear pads themselves are not as comfortable as my Sony Pulse Elite headset.  Both headphones use pleather cups, but the Sony's are angled and have extra padding near the back, which I prefer.  I am considering getting the SRH1540 replacement alcantara pads from Amazon but I'm not sure how to remove the pads on the HP100 without damaging them.

Although the HP100's are not hard to drive (I can listen to them at a decent volume just using my onboard headphone jack), they are noticeably quieter than my Sony Pulse Elites, which is no surprise.  I'm sure they will sound a lot better once I get my Omni later today.

Sound wise, even without an amp I am amazed at how "clear" my music now sounds.  However, this also comes at the cost of bass.  I can't tell if the HP100's are bass-light or bass-heavy as I don't have much to compare them to, but the Sony Pulse Elites have much more immersive bass by far.  Overall though, I much prefer the sound profile of the HP100 as I find the bass quite overpowering on my Sony's.

Oh, I dislike the audio cable.  I don't get why Soundmagic chose a proprietary connector, as the coiled cable adds unnecessary weight and tends to "pull" my left headset down to the ground a bit.  It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but I'd rather have a straight cable.

I haven't tested it in any games yet, but I will update later once my Omni comes in!  I'm planning to take it through the ropes with some Borderlands 2 :)  I do hope that an amp will improve the bass.  Like I said, I don't mind that it's not as bass heavy as my previous headphones, but the lack of bass is noticeable in some songs like Massive Attack - Angel.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #24,636 of 48,562
I do hope that an amp will improve the bass.  Like I said, I don't mind that it's not as bass heavy as my previous headphones, but the lack of bass is noticeable in some songs like Massive Attack - Angel.

The Sonys probably had bloated bass. I would guess that the HP100 has more accurate bass, which is far more preferable for me and others. The Omni could tighten up the bass a bit and maybe even add a little ommph. If you can drive them louder, that will certainly help. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #24,637 of 48,562

The Sonys probably had bloated bass. I would guess that the HP100 has more accurate bass, which is far more preferable for me and others. The Omni could tighten up the bass a bit and maybe even add a little ommph. If you can drive them louder, that will certainly help. 

This is correct.  The HP100 has pretty neutral bass for the most part, but it actually has a sub-bass hump.  Once you start hearing that, you're going to love them I think.  Certain music will really bring it out, like electronic.  Go listen to something off Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" if you want to hear the bass shine.  (And thanks to @AxelCloris for the recommendation on that awesome album!)

Agreed that the cable sucks.  I tried finding a few replacements and nothing quite fit right.  I know @Change is Good basially hacked up his Boompro to work with it.  Eventually I just got used to it... *shrug*

If you try the pads, let me know what you think.  I've heard good things, but haven't felt the need to upgrade mine just yet.  Change might be able to give you some tips on getting the stock pads off.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #24,640 of 48,562
  can someone recommend and all rounder headphone for me, I plan to use it for gaming mainly but I still want my music to sound good, I listen to all sorts of music btw and I watch movies from time to time.

-prefer it to be comfy (not leather) for long hours of use, and my budget is 200$
-hearing small details in games like footsteps is very important to me (CS:GO) 

I have my eyes set on these so far:
1-HD558 (open but I heard it lacks bass)
2-Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (closed but I heard the sound stage on these is pretty good)
3-Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 (heard this one is pretty bad) 
4-Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (semi-open)

if you guys have any other suggestions or something in my budget that would be great.

The HD558 have just enough bass to be called decent bass, also the 50-Ohm HD558s can be used with or without a headphone amplifier.
Amazon will sell used HD558s for under $100.

The Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990 need to be used with an amplifier.
The DT990s are full bass and full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear
DT880s are more well balanced, treble is a little on the bright side.
I would rather use open headphones like the DT880/DT990, but the DT770s are fairly good closed headphones.

Check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, they are only 40-Ohms and will work plugged into anything.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #24,642 of 48,562

Oh come now Stillhart, we all love to be dicks around here; even the ladies.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am a huge a-hole.  I just want to scare away any noobies by being too mean too soon.

In other news, any PS4 owners streaming Destiny right now?  I need a fix until I can get home and fire up the PS3 beta (to hold me over until Xbone beta).  @Evshrug I'm lookin at you!

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #24,643 of 48,562
I was just emailed my beta code, three of them, actually. Might stream later tonight...

If any PS4 owners that didn't pre order Destiny wants a beta code just inbox me.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #24,644 of 48,562
In other news, any PS4 owners streaming Destiny right now?  I need a fix until I can get home and fire up the PS3 beta (to hold me over until Xbone beta).  @Evshrug
 I'm lookin at you!

I'm doing the same thing. Just fired up the ps3 beta but will be primarily playing on xbone. I really hope this game is good from a competitive side. I need something to hold me over until MCC releases in November.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #24,645 of 48,562
I'm doing the same thing. Just fired up the ps3 beta but will be primarily playing on xbone. I really hope this game is good from a competitive side. I need something to hold me over until MCC releases in November.

I thought MCC was going to be released "in time for the Holidays", which translates to "mid- to late-December".  Either way, I'll be grabbing it; this is my first Xbox and I've never played any Halo so it should be interesting.

But yeah, there are a LOT of good games coming out between Destiny and Halo MCC.  Dragon Age, Shadows of Mordor, Sunset Overdrive, FH2, Evolve, etc etc.  I didn't even list the games that I'm not interested in (CoD, Drive Club, AC Unity, etc).  I'm sure there will be distractions if Destiny doesn't hold up!  It's going to be a good autumn for gaming!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back