Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #24,317 of 48,562
Hi would the base station from a turtle beach px5 do the job with fidelio x1 and a boom pro mic?
Would I be able to chat on the ps4 and would the sound quality of the dolby headphone from the px5 base station be as good as the astro mixamp?

I am using the PX5 station and the X1 worked fine with it... Though it starts to distort in the bass at roughly 80% volume and up. A second amplifier did improve the sound a bit but not drastically... It does not have a mic output though, so...

The DH processing is the same as the Mixamps though.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #24,318 of 48,562
I am using the PX5 station and the X1 worked fine with it... Though it starts to distort in the bass at roughly 80% volume and up. A second amplifier did improve the sound a bit but not drastically... It does not have a mic output though, so...

The DH processing is the same as the Mixamps though.

Firstly thanks for your reply. So there would be no way to have chat using a boom pro mic and the px5 station? Maybe via the controller?

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #24,319 of 48,562
Firstly thanks for your reply. So there would be no way to have chat using a boom pro mic and the px5 station? Maybe via the controller?

Either using the controller or use one output for both the headphone and the microphone but that way you won't be able to regulate microphone volume levels...
Via controller it should be possible I believe?

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #24,320 of 48,562
Either using the controller or use one output for both the headphone and the microphone but that way you won't be able to regulate microphone volume levels...
Via controller it should be possible I believe?

I think i might just have to get the mixamp, would the mixamp also be good enough use with the pc for movies and music? Im really not looking forward to the bucketload of wires across my floor but the wireless 5.8 mixamp is impossible to order her in The Netherlands nobody has it in stock.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #24,321 of 48,562
I think i might just have to get the mixamp, would the mixamp also be good enough use with the pc for movies and music? Im really not looking forward to the bucketload of wires across my floor but the wireless 5.8 mixamp is impossible to order her in The Netherlands nobody has it in stock.

They don't make the Mixamp 5.8 anymore so it's impossible to order anywhere.  Ebay is your best bet -- I snagged mine for $40!

Personally, I think the Mixamp sounds pretty bad so I wouldn't use it on a PC where you have a lot more options.  Get a good cheap sound card for the PC.  There's a cheap Asus Xonar that people on here like, but I don't recall the name.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #24,323 of 48,562

Would I need an amp for those? Or is my sound card adequate for the task?

Should be fine. Just ask our good friend, Stillhart, from a couple posts up...

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #24,324 of 48,562

Should be fine. Just ask our good friend, Stillhart, from a couple posts up...

Correct, no amp needed for these.  

I haven't actually tried gaming with these yet, BTW.  I use them for music at work (for which they're fantastic).

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #24,325 of 48,562
FYI, Playstation Wireless Gold headset is on sale on Amazon for $70 right now.  Anyone looking for a cheap all-in-one wireless solution for the PS4 (and doesn't care about surround), this is a really good deal.  I can't speak to the SQ, but I haven't heard anyone complain yet.

It's built kinda like the original Beats headphones, but IIRC it actually does Dolby Headphone for PS3/4 audio. And, it has a cable if you want to use it with a mobile device without Bluetooth. It's not going to be a world-beating headphone, but if you want surround, wireless, inexpensive......

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #24,326 of 48,562
  Fiio E9K should be fine

I agree.  Sure there are better out there, but if your options and budget are limited, it will definitely be an improvement.

Disclaimer - I haven't actually heard the pairing.  But Q701 needs amping so any amp will help.

It will be fine, I have an E09k driving my K702 Annies which have the same power requirements as the Q701.  The only thing I'd caution is to buy it from a place with good service/return/exchange policy.  I'm on my 3rd E09k, 1st was dead power brick right out of the box, 2nd had its LED die after 3-4 months (everything else still worked, just no LED), 3rd one is fine so far.  Fortunately I bought it from a local shop that has excellent service so I was able to just got back to the shop and exchange it for a new unit... twice.  Now if I had bought it online then I'd be out some $$$ shipping it back to the shop twice.  YMMV.

Thanks guys :)

At my local retailers here actually they also have good customer service and return policy (fortunately the stores are only about 10-20 mins from my house) sooo if have a problem with the products i can bring back to them straight away.. I think i will get the FiiO Eo9K. Many thanks to everyone :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #24,327 of 48,562
It's built kinda like the original Beats headphones, but IIRC it actually does Dolby Headphone for PS3/4 audio. And, it has a cable if you want to use it with a mobile device without Bluetooth. It's not going to be a world-beating headphone, but if you want surround, wireless, inexpensive......

Eh, no~

The Gold uses Sony's own proprietary HRTF, sounds nothing like DH, not even close. If I have to compare, it's more remotely close to Razer surround with a slightly wider soundstage and just as poor rear cues.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #24,328 of 48,562

Eh, no~

The Gold uses Sony's own proprietary HRTF, sounds nothing like DH, not even close. If I have to compare, it's more remotely close to Razer surround with a slightly wider soundstage and just as poor rear cues.

Knowing that Razer Surround is godawful I think I'm going to pass on these.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #24,329 of 48,562
Is there a headphone out there with a large soundstage, good imaging while still having a lot of bass impact and clarity? 

I bought the X1, and they had all of this, but the fit is really awkward on my head, and that's why the imaging gets weird for me so I had to return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back