Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #24,346 of 48,566
By sheer irony, my DNA On Ear also broke on one side, like my DNA over ear. This was after not having used them in a while and letting my friend borrow them. I mean, I expected this. The signs were there. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't blame him.

You have to baby the DNAs particularly at the hinges. It still works, though I had to apply quite of bit of black electrical tape. A bit less than last time though. Had I paid for these... I wouldn't have stood for it, however.

From now on, and perhaps via future edits, I'm gonna be adding a section in my reviews labelled something like "Unfiltered Brutally Honest Impressions"

This will be a short section clearly stating what I like and don't like about every headphone. So basically, this section will be like a throwback to my old style reviews where I would bluntly state what I like and dont like. Be ready for this, as this will be the no nonsense opinion of mine, without professional tact.

Nothing is safe.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #24,347 of 48,566
Obvious headphone flaw is obvious... Criminal when not fixed for SEVERAL iterations... All Beats and Monsters have them...

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #24,349 of 48,566
I would respectfully disagree, there, Ev... but that's just me
tongue.gif

Hey, how would the Soundmagic HP200 be for rap/hiphop music and gaming?

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #24,350 of 48,566
I just ordered the akg q701 going to try them just with the astro mixamp then if I need a extra amp I'll pick one up. Last question, how will I know if they need the extra amp?

For gamin you'll know if you just can't get them loud enough once you have your game/chat balance where you like it.

For music, you will always need the extra amp.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #24,352 of 48,566
I just ordered the akg q701 going to try them just with the astro mixamp then if I need a extra amp I'll pick one up. Last question, how will I know if they need the extra amp?

You'll know you need to upgrade your amping situation if:
-the final mix of audio is too quiet
-Bass sounds flabby and has weak impact
-Instruments seem blended together and lack a sense of size
-soundstage lacks a sense of layering (that instrument is further back, behind this instrument)
-any sign of clipping or distortion.

Most of this is subtle differences (but appreciated!), so it is often lost on gaming because so much is going on or because games usually have a resource budget and the audio is presented at less than "full" quality. The new headphones you ordered will definitely have an immediate advantage for you though :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #24,353 of 48,566
By sheer irony, my DNA On Ear also broke on one side, like my DNA over ear. This was after not having used them in a while and letting my friend borrow them. I mean, I expected this. The signs were there. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't blame him.

You have to baby the DNAs particularly at the hinges. It still works, though I had to apply quite of bit of black electrical tape. A bit less than last time though. Had I paid for these... I wouldn't have stood for it, however.

From now on, and perhaps via future edits, I'm gonna be adding a section in my reviews labelled something like "Unfiltered Brutally Honest Impressions"

This will be a short section clearly stating what I like and don't like about every headphone. So basically, this section will be like a throwback to my old style reviews where I would bluntly state what I like and dont like. Be ready for this, as this will be the no nonsense opinion of mine, without professional tact.

Nothing is safe.

Have you contacted them, personally, and brought these issues to their attention? I'm interested as to what their reply was, or would be...

Oooooh that's right... Am I recalling correctly that your first one had a dead driver, but you liked what you heard in the one ear that worked so you tried another pair? And then when that pair had a problem, you had also gotten your soundmagic and basically didn't want to bother with the K545 anymore?

Yea, something like that. Though, the soundmagics weren't the reason (didn't come until way later). The K545s were supposed to be my portables, at the time....

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #24,354 of 48,566

You'll need it. Just trust the Oracle (MLE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back