Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 25, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #23,836 of 48,568
May 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #23,838 of 48,568
Can anyone tell me what if any are the differences between sound from a reciever and sound from a mixamp and desktop? I'm not talking about surround sound I just mean sound quality, I've been using akg K701's and k712's with a reciever with the sane results as with mixamp, is there gonna be a improvement with mixamp and desktop? With the reciever and with mixamp on its own I can turn up volume really high it's not quiet at all but the louder the more distorted it gets, will the addition of a desktop amp give me more volume without distorting? Or just more volume? I kinda need.to know as I dint wanna buy another amp unless it's actually gonna make a difference

Anyone?

May 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #23,839 of 48,568
I have the 712's, mixamp and a dedicated amp as well which makes for one long mess in the living room that the girlfriend does not approve of. The mixamp provides a decent amount of hiss at higher volumes, which it needs to be pretty cranked with these headphones so there is that little distraction going on. Also, you do lose a bit of the range and clarity with it as opposed to having a dedicated amp. It'll certainly be better than nothing and still good for games, but you will get a decently better audio experience for games with the dedicated amp. If you're listening to music and such though I'd say the amp is much more important than when gaming.

May 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #23,842 of 48,568
I have the 712's, mixamp and a dedicated amp as well which makes for one long mess in the living room that the girlfriend does not approve of. The mixamp provides a decent amount of hiss at higher volumes, which it needs to be pretty cranked with these headphones so there is that little distraction going on. Also, you do lose a bit of the range and clarity with it as opposed to having a dedicated amp. It'll certainly be better than nothing and still good for games, but you will get a decently better audio experience for games with the dedicated amp. If you're listening to music and such though I'd say the amp is much more important than when gaming.

Thank you for reply, I've been waiting a while to hear back from anyone who could tell me difference in sound with 712's and mixamp and desktop, thanks again

May 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #23,843 of 48,568
I bought them to try and sent them back within a week, I'm used to the soundstage of the K701's though so kind of totally different, if it's for the mic then yes but if it's to hear players movements or weapon spawns etc then I'd go for something wider than the g4me one's, for me anyway

Thanks

May 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #23,844 of 48,568
Well, I picked up a Mixamp 5.8 on ebay for $40 shipped.  Compared to my Recond3D:

- The wireless is obviously super duper convenient.  There's still a little bundle of wires on the couch next to me, but it's way more manageable than a 20-ft cable going across the room that needs to be assembled before and put away after every gaming session.
 - It's much easier to balance game/chat volumes.  Like... MUCH easier.
 - It's got that sucky DH "I'm calling you from the bathroom" reverb effect in chat.
 - I personally don't find the surround cues to be as effective as the THX on the Recon.
 - I don't hear any difference in background hiss.  To be fair, I do have some minor tinnitus and so it may be there but I just can't hear it.
 - It just seems to work.  I was having issues with the Recon where chat was not coming through correctly sometimes (Xbone would autodetect and send chat audio through the controller).  No such issue on the Mixamp so far.

Overall, despite the bathroom effect and the subpar DH surround, I like it a lot better.  I'm glad I have the E11 to pair with it, as it needs to be cranked pretty high with the Q701's.  I suspect my Recon will be on the classifieds here in short order, but I'm going to continue testing it for a bit.

Now, as soon as @Zombie_X finishes his mini-XLR->3.5mm adapter, I'll be able to use the Boompro with the Q701.  That'll eliminate one mic cable and one Y adapter from the bundle of cables in my lap.  I'll braid out the excess length and I think I'll be pretty set for gaming on the console.

k701smile.gif

May 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #23,846 of 48,568
  After months of owning the Philips X1 with BoomPro along with the Astro 5.1 mixamp, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather connect my headphones directly into the PS4/XB1 controller.  A lot more convenient.

I assume you meant the 5.8?  Out of curiosity, are you playing shooters?  If you're not playing CoD or Titanfall or something like that, the virtual surround isn't going to add a whole lot to your experience.  I'm still holding out hope that the consoles will start outputting virtual surround through the controllers without need for a separate Mixamp (etc) so we can get the best of both worlds.

May 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #23,847 of 48,568
After months of owning the Philips X1 with BoomPro along with the Astro 5.1 mixamp, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather connect my headphones directly into the PS4/XB1 controller.  A lot more convenient.

I'm also curious as to what types of games you play. A good majority of the games I play (fps, RPG, racing) benefit from the surround sound and I just cannot stand stereo for gaming anymore. I was worried about convenience when I got my K712s as I would have to use an amp and a clip on mic. After I got the headphones, however, I realized that the amazing sound quality and immersiveness was well worth the inconvenience.

May 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #23,849 of 48,568
  I play shooters, racing and adventure games. The difference in sound isn't big enough for me to bother using the 5.8 mixamp most of the time.

Well... on the plus side, you can sell that 5.8 for some good money since they're so hard to find these days.

One more random question:  have you tried any of those videos that compare the different surround processing techs?  I find the THX on the Recon to be noticeably better than the DH on the Mixamp.  You might have the same thing... of course the Recon is a big PITA to use too, but it really does sound better to me (and others on here).

May 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #23,850 of 48,568
I play shooters, racing and adventure games. The difference in sound isn't big enough for me to bother using the 5.8 mixamp most of the time. 

The difference is night and day when the surround is turned on with the Mixamp. I'd have to ask if you have it set up correctly if you can't hear much of a difference. The DS4 headphone jack is good on convenience but is horrible for gaming because you simply cannot accurately hear which direction the sound is coming from. It's either coming from the left area or right area with stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back