Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #23,821 of 48,579
Silent, honestly i dont, what brand are those?

Martin,
My first paragraph was referring to some of the people in the sound science forums... There's lots of people there giving advice, I just sort through the noise by looking for people who can suggest a logical reason/explanation behind their advice. Audio has a lot of confusing things and misinformation around it.

I wasn't talking about you directly, trying to burn you, but I guess you could take it as a suggestion to help grow respectability.

May 22, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #23,822 of 48,579
I hope the modmic 4.0 is good, because I just bought myself one to use with my ath-a900x. If it works well together I will be be forced to sell my beyerdynamic mmx 300. will be a sad day, because I love that headset, but i can't have too many headphones laying around. 

May 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #23,823 of 48,579
Hey guys, can someone recommend a good pair of gaming headphones? I just got the Xonar U7, running it through my Sager Laptop. Looking for a good surrond sound experience. Also downloaded Razer surround sound. I play tons of FPS.. Thanks guys...

May 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #23,824 of 48,579
Hey guys, can someone recommend a good pair of gaming headphones? I just got the Xonar U7, running it through my Sager Laptop. Looking for a good surrond sound experience. Also downloaded Razer surround sound. I play tons of FPS.. Thanks guys...

Have you tried reading through the front page?

May 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #23,826 of 48,579
No, Because I'm stupid.. Thanks...

Hey, you said it... not me... 
tongue.gif

May 22, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #23,827 of 48,579
Looking for something under $200 canadian for general gaming and occasional music. I have no amp/dac and use the realtek on my mobo. Currently looking at HD 558s, AD-700x and the Bayerdynamic COP. Any suggestions for a canadian whoose looking to buy new?

for competitive gaming only get the 558 and there is a mod to make it sound like the 598.

For fun and competitive gaming get the Fidelio x1 which is of course more expensive. With the Fidelio X1 you get a detachable cable which enables you to use the V-Moda boompro...so basically you have a headset...

May 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #23,828 of 48,579

for competitive gaming only get the 558 and there is a mod to make it sound like the 598.

For fun and competitive gaming get the Fidelio x1 which is of course more expensive. With the Fidelio X1 you get a detachable cable which enables you to use the V-Moda boompro...so basically you have a headset...

I can't seem to find the Philips Fidelio in any Canadian retailers for under $400. I'm on a pretty tight budget of $200 CAD.

I'm not competitive at all and rather something with some bass. I'm really leaning towards either the COPs or HyperX cloud headset as I wouldn't mind save some money. I'm coming from being generally disappointed with gaming on my pair of ATH-M50x (being sent back for a refund).

May 22, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #23,829 of 48,579
  I can't seem to find the Philips Fidelio in any Canadian retailers for under $400. I'm on a pretty tight budget of $200 CAD.

I'm not competitive at all and rather something with some bass. I'm really leaning towards either the COPs or HyperX cloud headset as I wouldn't mind save some money. I'm coming from being generally disappointed with gaming on my pair of ATH-M50x (being sent back for a refund).

I would post a wanted ad in the classifieds, or matter fact just check the classifieds and see if there are any being sold...

Most people will ship to Canada if buyer covers the shipping costs...

May 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #23,830 of 48,579

I would post a wanted ad in the classifieds, or matter fact just check the classifieds and see if there are any being sold...

Most people will ship to Canada if buyer covers the shipping costs...

I'm not really intrested in buying used, especially from the states (exchange rate through paypal is +16-17%, and shipping is usually $30 so it ends out costing a bunch).

May 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #23,831 of 48,579
I'm not really intrested in buying used, especially from the states (exchange rate through paypal is +16-17%, and shipping is usually $30 so it ends out costing a bunch).

As long as you understand that the exchange rate is not a fee, but just the fact that the American dollar holds more value than the Canadian dollar, then yes sometimes shipping between countries can add expense. However, there can be more selection, greater value, and possibly still a lower overall price than buying from a local brick-and-mortar store.

The Beyer COP is decent, I haven't heard of the hyperX cloud (sounds like a cheap headset with a price boosted/inflated by gaming marketing). Is your heart set on a closed headphone?

May 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #23,832 of 48,579
As long as you understand that the exchange rate is not a fee, but just the fact that the American dollar holds more value than the Canadian dollar, then yes sometimes shipping between countries can add expense. However, there can be more selection, greater value, and possibly still a lower overall price than buying from a local brick-and-mortar store.

The Beyer COP is decent, I haven't heard of the hyperX cloud (sounds like a cheap headset with a price boosted/inflated by gaming marketing). Is your heart set on a closed headphone?

I understand the exchange rate isn't a fee (although paypal tacks on ~6% ontop of the exchange rate of 11%) but recognise it as an additional cost. I'm not partial to brick-and-mortar, but rather the idea of ordering within Canada (incl online stores) because Canada Post in my area tends to break things and takes 6-9 months to process an insurance claim.

The HyperX cloud is supposed to be made by qpad and use beyerdynamic technology, Logan from Teksyndicate gave it a pretty good review. I'm not sure about his credibility but it (seems) like a good contender especially considering it's only $100 CAD.

I'm coming from (returned) ATH-M50s and I'm looking for similar bass as well as a larger soundstage as I find my m50s to be just as good as my monster turbine earbuds for gaming. I'm not sure how the COPs stack up to the m50s but would rather them regardless because i tend to break headphone cables :p

May 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #23,833 of 48,579
Ok I've been using akgk701 for last few years with xbox and ps3 going through a onkyo reciever, I've never had any problems I've loved those headphones, but after reading reviews on here I recently bought.a pair of akg k712 headphones and also a mixamp, I was planning on buying another amp to hook up between mixamp and headphones but as of right now there's not much difference between my reciever sound and the mixamp on its own sound.
Ok so here's my question, does the mixamp on its own drive the akg k712's ok? How much of a difference (if any) will using a different amp with mixamp? I don't know if I've just been underpowering my headphones all this time or if I'm already getting the best I can get as it is, please someone enlighten me and also if I'm actually gonna get a better sound using a amp between mixamp and k712 what amps are recommended for best sound, I don't care about price I just wanna know the facts, how am I gonna get the absolute best sound I can get from my 712's from ps3? How much difference between mixamp on its own and mixamp to amp then headphones? Also I forgot to mention, mic isn't important to me only sound quality,thanks for any and all responses that help me

May 24, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #23,835 of 48,579
Can anyone tell me what if any are the differences between sound from a reciever and sound from a mixamp and desktop? I'm not talking about surround sound I just mean sound quality, I've been using akg K701's and k712's with a reciever with the sane results as with mixamp, is there gonna be a improvement with mixamp and desktop? With the reciever and with mixamp on its own I can turn up volume really high it's not quiet at all but the louder the more distorted it gets, will the addition of a desktop amp give me more volume without distorting? Or just more volume? I kinda need.to know as I dint wanna buy another amp unless it's actually gonna make a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back