Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #21,858 of 48,562

Wasn't really a question of the money so much as what might end up bringing me more satisfaction for the time being.  Truth be told I may end up ordering both pairs - it'd still come in at less than I would have paid for the Alpha Dogs and those are still on my radar as well lol.

+1 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #21,860 of 48,562

Wasn't really a question of the money so much as what might end up bringing me more satisfaction for the time being.  Truth be told I may end up ordering both pairs - it'd still come in at less than I would have paid for the Alpha Dogs and those are still on my radar as well lol.

Fair enough.  But all other things equal, that's a massive difference.  When everything else is so close, it's something to help with the decision.

That said, trying them both is probably the best thing to do.  Then return the MA when you discover that's it's close enough.  :wink:

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #21,865 of 48,562

The HP50's are considered excellent for classical music; check out the review by Headfonia.

If you have a small head, maybe look into the smaller versions of the K550's, the K551's and the even more portable and stylish K545's. The K545's were on my shortlist, but I think they might be too diminutive for my 'Elf' ears. :)

Honestly, if you're new to headsets and headphones like I am, don't be afraid to experiment. Find a few cans you like the visual style of, are on sale, have the features you require (such as closed-back, detachable cable, carrying pouch, etc.), and have generally favourable reviews, and maybe consider buying a few different ones and sending back the ones you don't get along with as well. Of course, if you like them all, you may end up not knowing which ones to part with. ^_-

And don't solely go by the guide here. It's just one man's opinion, and he hasn't reviewed all the headphones out there. I had to look elsewhere because none of the ones listed fitted my criteria.

If you're confused by the jargon that people use in reviews, so am I! That's why it might be better to focus on features and price more so than sound signature. Because let's face it, basing  your opinion on another person's interpretation is rather silly by definition. There are so many factors that need to be considered, such as source music, amplification, how tight the seal is, etc. Then of course you have the myriad of different ways the human ear is formed based on your DNA.

I've not tried the X1's so I can't say how well you will get along with the lack of isolation. It's been on my mind as well. I live in Ireland, though, so returning items bought from Amazon or elsewhere is expensive and not easy. Otherwise I'd buy them and see for myself whether I can live with the noise or not.

thanks for the help.  I ended up buying the HP50s.  Now all I have to do is wait until I get them so I can try them out.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #21,867 of 48,562
hey everyone,

check this out :

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-audio/razer-megalodon/

it is basically a new surround engine, the so called maelstrom engine...I emailed razer and asked them whether this engine is the same engine used in the razer surround app, and they said that it isn't...I hope razer will make a separate sound card that can be used with any headphone, kinda like a sound card like Xonar U3 that isn't attached to a headset/phone...

it has cool features ... you can increase the volume of virtual surround speakers...

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #21,868 of 48,562
  hey everyone,

check this out :

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-audio/razer-megalodon/

it is basically a new surround engine, the so called maelstrom engine...I emailed razer and asked them whether this engine is the same engine used in the razer surround app, and they said that it isn't...I hope razer will make a separate sound card that can be used with any headphone, kinda like a sound card like Xonar U3 that isn't attached to a headset/phone...

it has cool features ... you can increase the volume of virtual surround speakers...

It's not really anything new, it's been around since 2009. I find the headset uncomfortable.

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #21,869 of 48,562
what about the surround engine ? is it as good as the DH and razer app ?

I only care about the sound card...I wish they made a separate sound card...like just the soundcard part with headphone output and mic in jacks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back