Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #21,826 of 48,566
Just get an AD700x if all you want is an FPS headphone. PC360 if you need a headset. No need to spend so much for an AKG K70x for those purposes.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #21,827 of 48,566
I kinda liked the M500 from the few hours I listened to it. Lightweight, comfortable, polite, fun non-offensive sound with a little thumping bass but not really good isolation so not ideal for trains.

Would like to try the NAD HP50 again but those hideous looks on my larger head doesn't combine well together.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #21,828 of 48,566
Was looking to add another pair to the current set Fidelio X1 and ATH-M50 - Bouncing between the K702 Annies, MDR-MA900 and Alpha Dogs.  Anyone able to provide any other insight to how these would work with a PC setup using a Magni/Modi stack?

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #21,829 of 48,566
What do you need the other (3rd) pair for? I'd rather save up and upgrade in a year (or earlier, depending on your budget) in to high end territories. 

HD 800, K812, TH-900, HE-560.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #21,830 of 48,566
Hi im looking at the X1's or 701/702's. Im a pc FPS Gamer with dedicated sound card. My dilema is I need to use a microphone as i play all online multiplayer fps bf4 dayz (clan etc). Should I just go for a headset incorporating microphone? Im more interestef in the competative rating at this stage. Help! Any ideas?
Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been covered a million times. (Amazing reviews by the way)

For gaming, in one word: outstanding. Sound stage, tonal balance and detail are three major key factors if you game competitively. For example, if you headphone has a wide sound stage, but average tonal balance, and very aggressive detail, you may not get those baddies behind you. Thankfully, the ADG1 has the correct amount of all three, which is a wide, discrete sound stage, superb tonal balance, and detail that is slightly aggresive. With these tangibles, tracking footsteps in Black Ops 2 is simple, as I was easily able to detect them even when heavy intense sections, like firefights, where in motion. Other games like Tales of Xillia definitely got a boost, as the soundtrack and sound effects came to life, so much so that I almost thought I was it the game, which again, something only the PC 360 and MMX 300 achieved. Now all that sounds awesome, but what if I told you that I was only using stereo? With Dolby Digital 5.1 engaged, tonal balance, detail, and sound stage were boosted so much if it was as I was cheating. Every single minute amount of transformation cues in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron was just awe inspiring. GTA V's sound was just jaw dropping to experience, as I could pick out many different forms of conversing that was happening on screen. Midnight Club: Los Angeles' sound of the engines never felt more pleasing with the ADG1, as I could almost feel the roar of the engine and hear the screeches of the tire tracks, all the while being well defined. In terms of what you should use between the Mixer, Astro Mixamp, and Turtle Beach ACU, that depends on your gaming preference. Competitive users go with the ACU, Casual's go with the Mixer, overall best usage go with the Astro Mixamp. Again, this will depend on preference. Movie sessions were no sweat. Firing up Aliens vs. Predator, the creepy sensation of the Xenomorphs were so good I almost felt like I was being followed by one. Avatar's heavy usage of dialouge, musical score, and explosions weren't good enough to slow the ADG1's down, as those heavy intensive sections were a breeze. For the microphone, for a gaming headset one of, my new favorite's overall. Easily one of the clearest microphone's I have ever tested during my two weeks. No forms of static, distortion, or hiss were present. In addition, it did a great job blocking out ambient noise, even though I found it a bit sensitive Now, for comparison's. The PC G4ME Zero can best the ADG1 in bass, but in everything else? Nope. The G4ME did let me hear footsteps just as good as the ADG1, but in music, the G4ME felt slightly tonally daker to my ears, and for movies, specfic sections were slightly hampered due to the Zero's slighlty narrower sound stage. For the MMX 300, I would have to say same outcome. There really is no comparison at all between the ADG1 and MMX 300. For microphone? I still have to crown the MMX 300 king, although the ADG1put up one heck of a fight. I had to test extensivley: going back and forth to try to find differences, and the only major difference is the amont of ambient noise each blocked out. With that, the MMX 300 did it slightly better. For the G4ME Zero comparison, this fight goes to the ADG1, as my voice sounded slightly more natural and fuller, and I know I keep using slightly constantly, but it was that close in terms of which one is superior. While there are very small quibbles, the ADG1 is my new favorite gaming headset to use. I have always used the MMX 300 up to this point, but now, it is time for a new champion, and for me, that champion is the ADG1. With that out of the way, time for the score, and after that, the final verdict. Design/Appearance: 3.5/5 Build Quality: 4/5 Comfort: 5/5 Features: 3/5 Performance: 5/5 Total: 20.5/25 Final Verdict: Audio Technica has been hitting stride for a while now. From their ATH M50's, to their ATH-AD700's, its hard to imagine how anyone can argue with their success. Now, the Japanese giant plunged into gaming audio, and the result is this: If you truly care about every single aspect of sound for a gaming headset, mind some small design issues, and price isn't an issue at all, then the ADG1 is for you. If not, you may want to wait for a North American release date, as there are too many issues that factor in with the price. However, it's sound is not an issue, and to my ears, the ADG1 is easily a gamers dream.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #21,831 of 48,566
  What do you need the other (3rd) pair for? I'd rather save up and upgrade in a year (or earlier, depending on your budget) in to high end territories. 

HD 800, K812, TH-900, HE-560.

Well I just recently started getting into this whole audio appreciation thing.  The M50's and X1's were my first foray into things and later came the Magni/Modi.  Like I said - these are mostly for PC use and I'm just craving something new.  Not sure I'm quite ready to truly appreciate something on the higher end of things.  I appreciate the suggestions though and I'll definitely look into those options you listed!

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #21,832 of 48,566
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/03/18/superhuman-sound-infamous-second-son/

Sony 1st party almost always delivers in terms of Audio, especially recordings. 

http://www.bradleymeyer.com/ is the engineer. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #21,833 of 48,566
Hello MLE

I have a set of Stax 202 with the 212 amp; I have just ordered an Astro Mixamp, not received yet to hook to my xb1 for the Dolby signal.

Do you think the Q701 would perform much better for FPS games like COD.

I am looking for a set for gaming, since for music the 202 are giving me enough pleasure, and I also have a set Martin Logan Sequel speakers.

Thanks for the advise

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #21,834 of 48,566
I need that ATH-ADG1. I probably would still be using my AD700 for competitive gaming had I not destroyed them trying to get them to fit. My only concerns are going to be the same I have with my AD700 which are the wing design and no horizontal pivot point for the cups. I wonder if it's based on the AD700X or AD900X.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #21,835 of 48,566
  I need that ATH-ADG1. I probably would still be using my AD700 for competitive gaming had I not destroyed them trying to get them to fit. My only concerns are going to be the same I have with my AD700 which are the wing design and no horizontal pivot point for the cups. I wonder if it's based on the AD700X or AD900X.

They have two models, an open and a closed. I'm curious about these as well, but they're not really available yet so I guess we'll see.

I'm curious about the pricing.  People kept saying the AD700 is <$100, but I've never seen one at that price.  If these headsets are in that price range, I suspec they'll do well.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #21,836 of 48,566

They have two models, an open and a closed. I'm curious about these as well, but they're not really available yet so I guess we'll see.

I'm curious about the pricing.  People kept saying the AD700 is <$100, but I've never seen one at that price.  If these headsets are in that price range, I suspec they'll do well.

They used to retail for that before they were discontinued. The new models are around $150 IIRC. These will probably pop up for $250 or more. I'd honestly be surprised if they were lower. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #21,837 of 48,566
Hey Mad Lust Envy and everyone else ... what are your thoughts on true 5.1/7.1 gaming headsets such as these : 

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71/

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1964/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

I hear they are very good  in competitive gaming, but the soundquality is garbage....what are your thoughts ? 

If you'd looked at his Tritton AX Pro review on the first page, you'd find that Mad Lust Envy found it awful to the point of making it his first AND LAST multi-driver surround headset review.

There might be one set that doesn't totally suck, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. On top of that, if that caption about costing "under $2400" is to be believed, I'd rather treat myself to a good pair of Stax and a virtual surround processor.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #21,838 of 48,566
  Im pretty sure I fall into the small/regular size of ears and I know i have a smaller head than a lot of folks (wear size 7).

I dont live near any place where I can go and try these on so I have to try to figure out what i might like just from reviews and such.  For me the most important feature would be to be able to hear distinction between the sounds and have crisp sounds.  I think that something that allows me to listen to classical music I think would work well for me as for gaming I would like to hear everything as clear as possible over say, having a bass heavy headphone.

the issue i run into is that for every person who knows what they are talking about who likes a given headset, there is another person who is just as qualified who doesnt like it.  This is an issue because Im new to the premium headphone market and I dont have a lot of experience trying various models out and being able to interpriute a lot of the reviews other than "ok he liked it and it was clear" "ok he didnt like it because this other headphone had clearer highs".

At the moment I am leaning towards the X1s, but im just not sure about the openness.

The HP50's are considered excellent for classical music; check out the review by Headfonia.

If you have a small head, maybe look into the smaller versions of the K550's, the K551's and the even more portable and stylish K545's. The K545's were on my shortlist, but I think they might be too diminutive for my 'Elf' ears. :)

Honestly, if you're new to headsets and headphones like I am, don't be afraid to experiment. Find a few cans you like the visual style of, are on sale, have the features you require (such as closed-back, detachable cable, carrying pouch, etc.), and have generally favourable reviews, and maybe consider buying a few different ones and sending back the ones you don't get along with as well. Of course, if you like them all, you may end up not knowing which ones to part with. ^_-

And don't solely go by the guide here. It's just one man's opinion, and he hasn't reviewed all the headphones out there. I had to look elsewhere because none of the ones listed fitted my criteria.

If you're confused by the jargon that people use in reviews, so am I! That's why it might be better to focus on features and price more so than sound signature. Because let's face it, basing  your opinion on another person's interpretation is rather silly by definition. There are so many factors that need to be considered, such as source music, amplification, how tight the seal is, etc. Then of course you have the myriad of different ways the human ear is formed based on your DNA.

I've not tried the X1's so I can't say how well you will get along with the lack of isolation. It's been on my mind as well. I live in Ireland, though, so returning items bought from Amazon or elsewhere is expensive and not easy. Otherwise I'd buy them and see for myself whether I can live with the noise or not.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #21,839 of 48,566
Thanks, Chris.  I thought so, but the prices were so different it threw me.  Anyway, based on the discussions I've read, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a Turtle Beach headset.  Besides, the deal on the Tango has passed.  So, I'm back to this.  I really want a wireless surround sound headset, for my XBOX 360 (and XBOX ONE, since that may come later).  I don't want to hassle with wires between me and the XBOX.  I'm OK with a wire, from my headset to the controller and/or wires from the transceiver to the XBOX.  I sit across the room from the TV.  Anyone who passes by, has to walk behind me or step over the wires.  The players that I see are:

Skullcandy PLYR1
Turtle Beach XP510 (and COD special editions)
Steelseries H Wireless
Astro Gaming A50
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D or Recon3D
Madcatz Tritton Warhead 7.1 Dolby

Because of cost, I'm leaning towards the Skullcandy PLYR1.  The Astro Gaming A50 reviews are quite good.  And, the Stellseries H wireless is intriguing, but the review have been mixed.  If there is a big difference between the Skullcandy and the others, I'd go with a more expensive choice.  If there are other I should consider, I'm interested.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #21,840 of 48,566
K612>MA900>X1. IMO. YMMV.
I think they are very good headphones though to my ears the cheaper K612 or MA900 are cheaper and a bit more special.
I feel like the X1 is really good with bass but the midrange leaves a bit to be desired and the highs are too smooth and lack air with just a little spike. The soundstage and instrument separation is still very good though and so is imaging. The MA900 shines in the mids with very good punchy but still tight bass.the highs are even smoother hut the (bass-)mids-highs transition is better.
Soundstage is great and so is instrument separation. Imaging leaves a bit to be desired. There is great air in the mids.
The K612 is a real reference headphone for 200. The bass is tight and extended all the way. The mids are very even and natural. The treble is bright and can ne edgy sometimes but it depends on the mastering a great deal. Imaging is easily the best of the three, separation is top notch and soundstage is very well rounded if slightly smaller than the two but still the most even in terms of width and depth. Sheer air quantity is akin to the X1, MA900 wins here.

If I had to rank them price/performance wise I'd go K612>MA900>X1. Because while they are all great headphones the two kicks well above their respective price ranges, while the X1 is "only" a good value at their MSRP (not counting some of the recent temporary discounts)

Then again I value natural, neutral reference headphones where all their performance sides are equally important to me.
I still can appreciate the X1 quite a bit, but they'll be the first of the three to go probably X/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back