Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #21,841 of 48,562
And finally I got my MA900 (been like 7 months or even more since I sat my mind on getting them), everything that can go wrong with an online order I went through it, heck they even got discontinued while I was waiting and going through tons of bureaucratic procedures.
But in the end, putting them on makes one forget all what he went through.
God, they are ravishingly comfortable and sound airy and relaxing yet luscious and involving, putting them on while laying on the couch is simply heaven.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #21,842 of 48,562
K612>MA900>X1. IMO. YMMV.
I think they are very good headphones though to my ears the cheaper K612 or MA900 are cheaper and a bit more special.
I feel like the X1 is really good with bass but the midrange leaves a bit to be desired and the highs are too smooth and lack air with just a little spike. The soundstage and instrument separation is still very good though and so is imaging. The MA900 shines in the mids with very good punchy but still tight bass.the highs are even smoother hut the (bass-)mids-highs transition is better.
Soundstage is great and so is instrument separation. Imaging leaves a bit to be desired. There is great air in the mids.
The K612 is a real reference headphone for 200. The bass is tight and extended all the way. The mids are very even and natural. The treble is bright and can ne edgy sometimes but it depends on the mastering a great deal. Imaging is easily the best of the three, separation is top notch and soundstage is very well rounded if slightly smaller than the two but still the most even in terms of width and depth. Sheer air quantity is akin to the X1, MA900 wins here.

If I had to rank them price/performance wise I'd go K612>MA900>X1. Because while they are all great headphones the two kicks well above their respective price ranges, while the X1 is "only" a good value at their MSRP (not counting some of the recent temporary discounts)

Then again I value natural, neutral reference headphones where all their performance sides are equally important to me.
I still can appreciate the X1 quite a bit, but they'll be the first of the three to go probably X/

So you would recommend the K612 and then slightly behind that the MA900 above the K702 Annies and MrSpeakers Alpha dogs?  Hmmm I hadn't considered the K612 but if they're as good as you say I may need to lean towards those instead!  The reason a big part of me was looking forward to ordering the MA900 is that they're now discontinued and both MLE and Nameless provide high praise for them.  Ohhh dear me... decisions decisions!!!

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #21,843 of 48,562

So you would recommend the K612 and then slightly behind that the MA900 above the K702 Annies and MrSpeakers Alpha dogs?  Hmmm I hadn't considered the K612 but if they're as good as you say I may need to lean towards those instead!  The reason a big part of me was looking forward to ordering the MA900 is that they're now discontinued and both MLE and Nameless provide high praise for them.  Ohhh dear me... decisions decisions!!!

It really just depends on what you want your headphones to do? Do you want a headphone that is neutral and dynamic? Get the K612. Or is a blend between natural, fun and musical headphone more up your alley? Then the MA900. Or do you want a bassy yet still somewhat neutral can? The the X1.
All are good... It's ultimately your music taste and what you value the most that will help you decide :]

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #21,844 of 48,562
  It really just depends on what you want your headphones to do? Do you want a headphone that is neutral and dynamic? Get the K612. Or is a blend between natural, fun and musical headphone more up your alley? Then the MA900. Or do you want a bassy yet still somewhat neutral can? The the X1.
All are good... It's ultimately your music taste and what you value the most that will help you decide :]

Well luckily I already have the X1 and the ATH-M50's so it'd be a toss up at that point between the MA900 and the K612.  I was looking for something a bit more neutral but good for competitive gaming with a nice open sound stage and positional queues.  Ideally also comfortable for long periods of time. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #21,845 of 48,562
I wish the MA900 were still available.  For the amount of good press they get around here, I'm surprised they've disappeared.  I refuse to pay a $100 markup to try them out, even though I suspect I'll really like them.

Does anyone know if they'll be making a replacement or what?  Is it normal for good headphones to just vanish with no upgrades?

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #21,846 of 48,562
  Well luckily I already have the X1 and the ATH-M50's so it'd be a toss up at that point between the MA900 and the K612.  I was looking for something a bit more neutral but good for competitive gaming with a nice open sound stage and positional queues.  Ideally also comfortable for long periods of time. 

Both fit that description. The K612 is definitely the more neutral "reference" of the two, the MA900 is more relaxing and have good bass-mids, but the highs leave some to be desired.
If you have an amp I'd give the nod to the K612 but I love the MA900 too, so... Not easy to choose between these.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #21,847 of 48,562
  Both fit that description. The K612 is definitely the more neutral "reference" of the two, the MA900 is more relaxing and have good bass-mids, but the highs leave some to be desired.
If you have an amp I'd give the nod to the K612 but I love the MA900 too, so... Not easy to choose between these.

So you're saying buy them both!?
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #21,848 of 48,562
ksc75smile.gif

Well, in the best possible scenario. yes 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I probably like the X1 the least for some reason, so... 
If I knew a bit more about your musical taste/value and what's important for you, I might be able to help you choose between the two :D

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #21,849 of 48,562
ksc75smile.gif

One factor that might make a difference is what your using to drive them, the 48-Ohm MA900 should easy work with portable audio devices (DAP & smartphones) or computer audio.
Where as the AKG K612 Pro is 120-Ohm and might like a little more juice, so computer audio to modern A/V receivers would would be good sources for the K612.
If you already have a decent headphone amplifier, then either headphone would work.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #21,850 of 48,562
If the K612 is as good as the Q701 for positional cues and soundstage, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #21,851 of 48,562
  One factor that might make a difference is what your using to drive them, the 48-Ohm MA900 should easy work with portable audio devices (DAP & smartphones) or computer audio.
Where as the AKG K612 Pro is 120-Ohm and might like a little more juice, so computer audio to modern A/V receivers would would be good sources for the K612.
If you already have a decent headphone amplifier, then either headphone would work.

Well I started with the ATH-M50's and then took those to use for the office and travel since they were closed back and a bit more isolated.  That led me to getting the X1's for home use - about 90% PC and 10% portable with iphone/SGS4.  But I'm looking to keep the X1's for the more relaxed at home music listening sessions and wanted to replace them with something that will be used solely for PC.

The biggest interest is in a neutral sound with a good soundstage and positional queues - I currently have a Magni/Modi stack and a Xi-Fi titanium (which I'm not using because for some reason my  motherboard refuses to detect it).  I figure the Magni should be good enough to drive the K612 and Ma900? 

Now it's just a matter of which of the two I really would be happier with.  I know I'll probably be thrilled with the new addition whatever it may be, but as far as PC it's mostly for gaming (FPS/RTS/Moba/MMO) and background music (spotify) during non-competitive gaming sessions. 

Now the kicker is ... which of these two is gonna be in my cart when I click submit on my amazon order?
confused_face_2.gif

Quick edit - as far as music goes I mostly listen to house/DNB/Rock/Classical/Alternative/80's - pretty much anything other than a lot of current pop or country... Not sure if that affects the decision though considering my emphasis is on what will give me the most satisfaction in gaming and competitive gaming scenarios lol.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #21,852 of 48,562
Dude the K612 is like $70 cheaper on Amazon.  If you're agonizing over them and they're both going to make you happy, why not get the SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper one?

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #21,854 of 48,562
  Dude the K612 is like $70 cheaper on Amazon.  If you're agonizing over them and they're both going to make you happy, why not get the SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper one?

Wasn't really a question of the money so much as what might end up bringing me more satisfaction for the time being.  Truth be told I may end up ordering both pairs - it'd still come in at less than I would have paid for the Alpha Dogs and those are still on my radar as well lol.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #21,855 of 48,562

Thank you for your brilliant contribution.

That's what I was concerned with, most reviews on the DT990 complain about the treble, but I see your scores on the DT990 are pretty close to what you rate the Fidelio. On paper for ~$100 it would look like the DT990 has a better price/performance ratio, but if I can't stand them for long sessions, there is no point. They have been described as "ear piercing". I wish I could find the Fidelios locally, usually I would  just go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and pick it up. I don't see it in stock at any brick and mortar store.

I will order the Fidelio online. Thanks!

The FAQ seems to have been written around the concept that each headphone is reviewed and scored on its own merits, not with that of others in mind. In other words, just because one headphone scores 7.5 all round, yet another one scores 8 all round, doesn't mean the cans that scored 8 are 0.5 better than the ones that scored 7.5. At least that's my understanding.

:xf_eek:Change, was it an addition, or replacement?

I went back to BB and tested the Momentum On Ear again. I actually think it'd be a nice headphone to have, and I think it's v shaped sound would actually work for gaming. What keeps me from getting them is that I test the regular Momentum next to it... and it's clear that I prefer the originals in sound. Just wish they had alcantara pads too. Sennheiser really should have aimed the On Ear to have the same frequency response as the Momentum, even if it wasn't as refined. The regular Momentum just sounds amazing. I hope they make a full over ear Momentum soon, not this sorta over ear.

But keep that sexy look. Oh yes!

Functionality wise, the A50 was perfect. It had the convenience and features I wanted out of a headset but overall SQ was lacking. Boomy bass, mediocre mic. The comfort was ok at best.

What I really want is a wireless version of what I use now, AKG K702 65th with Beyerdynamic mic. I basically wish I could take the SQ of the AKGs and Beyer mic and combine it with the A50. That would be the end-all, be-all for me IMO.

The Sennheiser PC363D seems to have an excellent microphone. It doesn't sound as good as the V-Moda or ModMic, but still the better of the headset world.

Thanks, Chris.  I thought so, but the prices were so different it threw me.  Anyway, based on the discussions I've read, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a Turtle Beach headset.  Besides, the deal on the Tango has passed.  So, I'm back to this.  I really want a wireless surround sound headset, for my XBOX 360 (and XBOX ONE, since that may come later).  I don't want to hassle with wires between me and the XBOX.  I'm OK with a wire, from my headset to the controller and/or wires from the transceiver to the XBOX.  I sit across the room from the TV.  Anyone who passes by, has to walk behind me or step over the wires.  The players that I see are:

Skullcandy PLYR1
Turtle Beach XP510 (and COD special editions)
Steelseries H Wireless
Astro Gaming A50
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D or Recon3D
Madcatz Tritton Warhead 7.1 Dolby

Because of cost, I'm leaning towards the Skullcandy PLYR1.  The Astro Gaming A50 reviews are quite good.  And, the Stellseries H wireless is intriguing, but the review have been mixed.  If there is a big difference between the Skullcandy and the others, I'd go with a more expensive choice.  If there are other I should consider, I'm interested.

Also check out the PC363D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back