Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #20,836 of 48,583
I was thinking about picking up the DT990s (250 ohm) as my first set of hi-fi headphones, primarily for gaming. I was comparing it to the 558, but this has the more "fun" sound and deeper bass, which I'm a fan of. This is right on budget for me at $150, but being my first set I don't own or have budget for a nice amp.

My question is, are the beyers particularly bad w/o amp (as you seemed to mention envy), enough to make the 558 sound significantly better? I am by no means an audiophile, and I'm not sure I would even hear a difference. For reference, I have the Realtek 898 on my board, with a supposed '600'ohm amp on it. Is it really worth it to go 60-70 over budget for a cheap amp? Thanks everyone.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #20,837 of 48,583
I can't speak for the 250ohm beyers, but I had a 600ohm DT990 and it sounded perfectly fine running straight out of my iMac's soundcard.  The whole amping issue is severely overstated on head-fi as a general.  There are very few occasions where there's night and day differences or eye-opening experiences.  What a better amp and dac will do will give you a marginally better sound, and that has more to do with better refinement than raw output power.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #20,839 of 48,583
  Why are you selling it if you don't mind me asking? Tired of the wires?

It was a gift to a friend who used it alongside a DT990 and antlion modmic.  He loved the sound but over time he didn't use the setup as much.  He gave it back to me to sell off.  He ultimately decided he'd take a loss in sound quality and build quality to get a sony gold headset for the convenience.

I can't speak for this 2013 mixamp hiss issue because I havn't tried it with games myself-- maybe I should do that.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #20,840 of 48,583
So, I called the MS Store to get a return shipping label for my Astro 5.8 + a30 bundle and the rep told me that instead of returning them, I can keep them and get a refund of $60 to my Visa. I canceled my Gold PS4 headset order as soon as I hung up the phone. So I got the Astro 5.8 with the a30's for basically $60 after taxes. Deal! I guess I can live without being completely wireless for the price and the fact that I don't have to have inferior sound with the Gold PS4 headset and be able to use my Philips X1's. Awesome!

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #20,842 of 48,583
Running a Mixamp 5.8 and PC360's with my PS4, I use the usb chat cable, everything works great. Can't believe how much longer the Astro rechargable battery lasts than AAA's.

my question is this:

the mixamp 5.8 and the pc360's both have a volume control.  Is there a best 'level' to set the PC360 volume control at and then only use the 5.8 volume ?

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #20,843 of 48,583
  Running a Mixamp 5.8 and PC360's with my PS4, I use the usb chat cable, everything works great. Can't believe how much longer the Astro rechargable battery lasts than AAA's.

my question is this:

the mixamp 5.8 and the pc360's both have a volume control.  Is there a best 'level' to set the PC360 volume control at and then only use the 5.8 volume ?

Yup. Max it out on your PC360 then use the volume control on the 5.8 RX unit.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #20,844 of 48,583
Microsoft is going to release a an adapter that plugs into the Xbox One controller for $25. Apparently any headset will be able to plug into this adapter and the controller has some kind of built in surround sound feature. I'll be buying this on the day it comes out and plugging in my Philips X1 + BoomPro. It will be a nice compliment to my Astro 5.8 I have connected to my PS4.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #20,845 of 48,583
  Microsoft is going to release a an adapter that plugs into the Xbox One controller for $25. Apparently any headset will be able to plug into this adapter and the controller has some kind of built in surround sound feature. I'll be buying this on the day it comes out and plugging in my Philips X1 + BoomPro. It will be a nice compliment to my Astro 5.8 I have connected to my PS4.

Eventually devices like the Astro may not be needed at all. Since the PS4 has AMD TrueAudio and can stream audio into the controller, then it too could eventually get wireless sound without the need of an external DSP unless you specifically want different processing.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #20,846 of 48,583

Eventually devices like the Astro may not be needed at all. Since the PS4 has AMD TrueAudio and can stream audio into the controller, then it too could eventually get wireless sound without the need of an external DSP unless you specifically want different processing.

I can only hope PS4 releases a device that's similar. I'm thinking if Microsoft's adapter sells well, Sony will follow in their footsteps. I wonder if it will be as good if not better at surround sound/positioning than what Astro has put out.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #20,847 of 48,583
Let's liven this place a little, ladies...

I know most of you are PC beasts... but here is my console setup at the moment.

K612 was shipped off for recabling... so it's the 1540 playing both roles for now...

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #20,848 of 48,583
  Let's liven this place a little, ladies...

I know most of you are PC beasts... but here is my console setup at the moment.

K612 was shipped off for recabling... so it's the 1540 playing both roles for now...

Out of curisity how does the SRH-1540 sound compared to the K612. I know it's comparing closed verses open. I'm just curious about the Shure's sound signature with the K612 as a baseline.

Are you getting a dual-entry recable?

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #20,849 of 48,583
  I can only hope PS4 releases a device that's similar. I'm thinking if Microsoft's adapter sells well, Sony will follow in their footsteps. I wonder if it will be as good if not better at surround sound/positioning than what Astro has put out.

Is this the device you were talking about? It looks like that adapter is stereo only. If that's the case you'd still want something like the Mixamp to pair with the controller to get surround. The PS4 could potentially do this without any adapter since the controller accepts standard 3.5mm.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #20,850 of 48,583
What would be some good headsets/-phones if one want to limit possible extra parts?
I'm looking into making a mITX build with either ASUS Maximus VI Impact, MSI Z87I Gaming AC or whatever next generation equivalent is, so a soundcard is not really an option (and hopefully not needed).

So far the PLYR 1 seems most interesting, though I'm a bit concerned about some comments in regards to it's comfort.
Next is the DT 990/770, but the prospect of possible having to get an amp turns me slightly off.
I've considered the Sennheiser 350 SE or 360, but both seems to having comments of boring(?) bass.
Lastly I also have considered the Turtle Beach Ear Force Z Seven and MMX 300.

I currently have a G35 and have had an Icemat (current Steelseries) Siberia, so that is what I have experience with to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back