Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #20,731 of 48,566
Daddy, I'm interested if only because I'm more into simplicity over elaborate setups. I was always interested in the Sony headsets.

Shenay,I'm not talking about the use of headphones in general. I'm talking about the sudden surge of interest in headphones by casuals. Before Monster, before beats, headphones were just a device people used to listen to music. Now, it's become integrated with pop culture. It's become a 'Monster', literally. The funny thing though, even though it has become a lot more mainstream, it DOES grab a lot of individuals that didn't know about headphones and audiophilia in general. These people, then look into more serious, less well known offerings, and find their way here. that's where they learn of other types of headphones. I myself came here after only jumping into headphones with the mainstream Astro A40 gaming headset.

So no, before Monster and Beats... headphones were nowhere near the juggernaut business that they are today.

To be fair, this is true. I myself am one prime example of that. I got into headphones because I heard the Beats but wanted something better in the end... That's exactly how I got here and look at me now. I am a headphone guy xD

I am with Mshenay on this one too I passionately hate Apple and Monster for ridiculously pricing their products, charging way too much for design. IMO of course. But I too respect them for what they accomplished, though I'll try to stáy away from anything Apple from as long as possible, although it might be inevitable one day ;/ luckily there is Sony for now :wink:
As for Monster, it's great that they are finally making decent headphones after pricing their previous trashy cans in the 300-500$ range... I might give them a chance in a few years xP

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #20,732 of 48,566
The soon-to-be upgrading to the HD 800 man called Mad Lust Envy is right. 

By lowering price sensivity (yeah kinda funny) Monster also raised new potential customers for mid-fi to even high end as people become more and more interested in headphones outside Beats.

I am also very confident about binaural audio in that regard as many many developers like Harman are investing into DSP tech lately.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #20,733 of 48,566
  I am also very confident about binaural audio in that regard as many many developers like Harman are investing into DSP tech lately.

What tech is Harman investing in?

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #20,734 of 48,566

What tech is Harman investing in?

No clear product on the horizon. Like the non-existence of a headphone that targets the Sean Olive Curve perfectly. I think stuff that stems from these researches and investments is many years away. At least it's going forward now that headphones are serious business and not just a gadget anymore.

Until then you can buy the Realiser A8 my friend. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #20,735 of 48,566
You know what's REALLY cool, Office Depot. They sell Beats headphones and the take returns on anything that is with box recipt and in working condition under a week old!

I've gotten a few pairs of $100+ Koss headphones there before and Im fairly certain I may be able to buy and return a pair of Monster headphones as well, 

I hate Monster, for the image it represents BUT... if monsters becomes to headphones what Apples is to computers, I'll still hate it... but I will also respect it. I hate Apple, all their products and their entire... just everything about the company aggrivates me. BUT I do respect them, they make a solid product that is reliable and easy to use. I respect the technology and hate teh buisness :3

If monster can produce a good headphone, that's Fantastic for the money... I'll still hate the company... but it'll be with up most respect :3 

I used to work at Office Depot, lol. I didn't feel like there was anything fun about that store at the time, except for some of the electronics (cameras).
And... I have to laugh at the Apple hate. What, is it the fact that they do a basic check on apps before allowing them to be installed on consumer devices, or is it because they created the first of many types of products and didn't lower the segment value by cheapening price and build quality?
A $50 monster HDMI cable is one thing, a custom $650 smartphone or $1200 MacBook Pro are something entirely different. I'm not saying you should buy Apple stuff or agree with their every move (surely they could offer more storage in iDevices by now?), but I am saying that their stuff isn't just pricey, it's NICE pricey stuff.

Daddy, I'm interested if only because I'm more into simplicity over elaborate setups. I was always interested in the Sony headsets.

Shenay, I'm not talking about the use of headphones in general. I'm talking about the sudden surge of interest in headphones by casuals. Before Monster, before beats, headphones were just a device people used to listen to music. Now, it's become integrated with pop culture. It's become a 'Monster', literally. The funny thing though, even though it has become a lot more mainstream, it DOES grab a lot of individuals that didn't know about headphones and audiophilia in general. These people, then look into more serious, less well known offerings, and find their way here. that's where they learn of other types of headphones. I myself came here after only jumping into headphones with the mainstream Astro A40 gaming headset.

So no, before Monster and Beats... headphones were nowhere near the juggernaut business that they are today.

I think my first headphones were a pair of Philips closed, noise-cancelling, behind-the-head 'phones, but I got those more for the NC and plane flights. And, they hurt. I've always liked audio, but the first pair of headphones I got for myself for their audio quality were Etymotics in 2005. Still have and like 'em, I just need NOT to have that level of noise isolation most of the time.

The soon-to-be upgrading to the HD 800 man called Mad Lust Envy is right. 

By lowering price sensivity (yeah kinda funny) Monster also raised new potential customers for mid-fi to even high end as people become more and more interested in headphones outside Beats.

Great to hear that even Harman is looking into DSPs...

I just played a few hours of CoD: Ghosts with... my Koss KSC75 clip ons. I forgot how ridiculous they are! If I got into massive debt, the Koss would probably end up my keepers, just a huge value. I'm SURE Mad would love to hear and own a pair of HD800, but he listens to his Koss even more than me, and I think the ridiculous value of those will give him great pause before buying an HD800.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #20,736 of 48,566
I'll never rid of my Koss clip ons, unless there is a better clip on that hits the same kind of notes. :)

The Yuin G1A was nice, but not $150 nice, and the tonal balance wasn't suited for all around purpose like the KSC35...

But yeah... my KSC35 is used basically 99% of my headphone time. This is why I wish there was a truly high end clip on. :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #20,737 of 48,566
I feel like my $12 koss sound at least as technically proficient as my Polk monitor 40s. There were actually a few moments last night where I was like "Are my speakers on? Am I gonna wake up the house?"

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #20,738 of 48,566
I have been using my DT 990 premium, with pleasure for a year now. For voice i have been using a Blue snowflake, which has good sound quality, but picks-up ALL background noise. Which is pretty annoying for the people i'm speaking with.

I have been looking for some add-on/clip-on mic, which can either be placed on the cable, or top of my shirt, to record my voice.
The Mod Mic v2, has been mentioned a lot, but it's from US, which will cost alot of TAX, import and shipping to Denmark.
Cheapooo mics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35DI-3-5-mm-10-PCS-Computer-Clip-on-Mini-Microphone-Audio-Amazing-Sound-Earphone-/330950953133?pt=UK_Computing_Microphones&hash=item4d0e36c8ad
Speedlink mic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-INT-SL-8691-SBK-01-Spes-Clip-On-Microphone/dp/B004YEWC22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391791677&sr=8-2&keywords=mod+mic
Zalman mic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MIC1-ZMMIC1-Lapel-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391791677&sr=8-1&keywords=mod+mic

Which of the above will you choose for skyping, ts etc. I'm not recording for any live tv or anything, only voice speak.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #20,739 of 48,566
Is a mic like this available in Denmark? I recently had a head-fi'er I was playing with on PC tell me that the mic was good, seemed tuned for radio (vocals).

Another nice but inexpensive option is the Deal Extreme lapel mic that Mad listed on the guide. Ships slow, but from China, so I assume it can be shipped anywhere.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #20,740 of 48,566
But ain't that mic the same as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35DI-3-5-mm-10-PCS-Computer-Clip-on-Mini-Microphone-Audio-Amazing-Sound-Earphone-/330950953133?pt=UK_Computing_Microphones&hash=item4d0e36c8ad
Just 10x of them for 6£?

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #20,741 of 48,566

Shenay,I'm not talking about the use of headphones in general. I'm talking about the sudden surge of interest in headphones by casuals. Before Monster, before beats, headphones were just a device people used to listen to music. Now, it's become integrated with pop culture. It's become a 'Monster', literally. The funny thing though, even though it has become a lot more mainstream, it DOES grab a lot of individuals that didn't know about headphones and audiophilia in general. These people, then look into more serious, less well known offerings, and find their way here. that's where they learn of other types of headphones. I myself came here after only jumping into headphones with the mainstream Astro A40 gaming headset.

I used to work at Office Depot, lol. I didn't feel like there was anything fun about that store at the time, except for some of the electronics (cameras).
And... I have to laugh at the Apple hate. What, is it the fact that they do a basic check on apps before allowing them to be installed on consumer devices, or is it because they created the first of many types of products and didn't lower the segment value by cheapening price and build quality?
A $50 monster HDMI cable is one thing, a custom $650 smartphone or $1200 MacBook Pro are something entirely different. I'm not saying you should buy Apple stuff or agree with their every move (surely they could offer more storage in iDevices by now?), but I am saying that their stuff isn't just pricey, it's NICE pricey stuff.
I think my first headphones were a pair of Philips closed, noise-cancelling, behind-the-head 'phones, but I got those more for the NC and plane flights. And, they hurt. I've always liked audio, but the first pair of headphones I got for myself for their audio quality were Etymotics in 2005. Still have and like 'em, I just need NOT to have that level of noise isolation most of the time.
Great to hear that even Harman is looking into DSPs...

I just played a few hours of CoD: Ghosts with... my Koss KSC75 clip ons. I forgot how ridiculous they are! If I got into massive debt, the Koss would probably end up my keepers, just a huge value. I'm SURE Mad would love to hear and own a pair of HD800, but he listens to his Koss even more than me, and I think the ridiculous value of those will give him great pause before buying an HD800.

All good points,

I guess my perspective is different, I grew up with my Step Dad who was  Dj, so he was into Stero and headphones already, as where his and by extension my friends. So growing up I was always into better sounding headphones.  Headphones where good buisness back when I was 5-6 years old... then iPod came along and suddenly you stop seing Sony Walkmans, and DiscMans and Koss headphones, now every one has Apple Ear Buds and an iPod. Apple really killed the Audiophile scene where I am, and did so before I even got a chance to get into the good gear! 

But that is a good point, Monster is a bit of a gate way for a lot of new consumers

and why do I hate apple? Because the over charge for their products. I grew up with Windows, the cheaper "budget" operating system and I'm in the process of moving to Linux. Apple get's away with charging people a huge preium for most of the time Average Hard Ware, and a glorified Unix OS. They make a great product! They support it wonderfully, but they just charge to much for it. I can understand it's market, and why it's successesful. I just find it a shame that Apple within the US Market has never needed to price there computers competively. Well I take that back, Google Android [Linux] is starting to compete nicely again'st them. FINALLY, 

Apple just is not a "smart" buy for me. It's a simple solution to Computing but I can do more with less money. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #20,742 of 48,566

All good points,

I guess my perspective is different, I grew up with my Step Dad who was  Dj, so he was into Stero and headphones already, as where his and by extension my friends. So growing up I was always into better sounding headphones.  Headphones where good buisness back when I was 5-6 years old... then iPod came along and suddenly you stop seing Sony Walkmans, and DiscMans and Koss headphones, now every one has Apple Ear Buds and an iPod. Apple really killed the Audiophile scene where I am, and did so before I even got a chance to get into the good gear! 

But that is a good point, Monster is a bit of a gate way for a lot of new consumers

and why do I hate apple? Because the over charge for their products. I grew up with Windows, the cheaper "budget" operating system and I'm in the process of moving to Linux. Apple get's away with charging people a huge preium for most of the time Average Hard Ware, and a glorified Unix OS. They make a great product! They support it wonderfully, but they just charge to much for it. I can understand it's market, and why it's successesful. I just find it a shame that Apple within the US Market has never needed to price there computers competively. Well I take that back, Google Android [Linux] is starting to compete nicely again'st them. FINALLY, 

Apple just is not a "smart" buy for me. It's a simple solution to Computing but I can do more with less money. 

Can't agree more with you bro 
beerchug.gif

They gave premium price an extra Premium meaning 
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #20,744 of 48,566
Is a mic like this available in Denmark? I recently had a head-fi'er I was playing with on PC tell me that the mic was good, seemed tuned for radio (vocals).

Another nice but inexpensive option is the Deal Extreme lapel mic that Mad listed on the guide. Ships slow, but from China, so I assume it can be shipped anywhere.

That looks exactly like my Deal Extreme clip on mic that I was using :p And I stand by my words. When you changed from the first mic to the one you linked your voice became more focused and had more body in the lower register; almost the same way that most talk radio is EQ'd today.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #20,745 of 48,566

Seems plausible... Stuff is rebranded so much these days. The "Deal Extreme" mic may well be the exact same internally as mine, and this eBay one as well.

That looks exactly like my Deal Extreme clip on mic that I was using :p And I stand by my words. When you changed from the first mic to the one you linked your voice became more focused and had more body in the lower register; almost the same way that most talk radio is EQ'd today.

Yeah I'll use that again next time.
I actually got my volume knob working! ... For a second. A moment after the Creative software sensed it, the knob stopped adjusting it. I wonder if that happens cuz I have volume keys on my keyboard?

I haven't contacted tech support about the static bursts yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back