Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 6, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #20,717 of 48,566
My Astro 5.8 RX unit dies out quickly using AAA batteries with a 7 year shelf-life from Costco. I'm talking around 3 hours of usage. Is this normal?

I was getting about 4hrs from an Energizer batt. I just kept it plugged in using USB.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #20,718 of 48,566
My Astro 5.8 RX unit dies out quickly using AAA batteries with a 7 year shelf-life from Costco. I'm talking around 3 hours of usage. Is this normal?

Buy the rechargeable battery pack for the 5.8 on Ebay. problem solved. It charges through the micro usb, which is SUPER convenient.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for-Astro-Gaming-wireless-MixAmp-5-8-RX-3ABAT-XXT9W-929-/251093901067?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item3a765cdf0b

Got that same one, and have zero issues.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #20,719 of 48,566
Buy the rechargeable battery pack for the 5.8 on Ebay. problem solved. It charges through the micro usb, which is SUPER convenient.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for-Astro-Gaming-wireless-MixAmp-5-8-RX-3ABAT-XXT9W-929-/251093901067?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item3a765cdf0b

Got that same one, and have zero issues.
I know about the battery pack butI just don't think it should be dying so quickly which leads me to believe that something is wrong. I might go ahead and order another one as a replacement. That's if I don't end up returning it and going with the new Gold Playstation 4 headset.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #20,720 of 48,566
So the Monster DNA doesn't suck and you like it more than the X1 maybe :O...  not bad I'll never support that company :3 but I'm happy to hear they are at LEAST brining some decent souding quality to the masses 

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #20,721 of 48,566
I know about the battery pack butI just don't think it should be dying so quickly which leads me to believe that something is wrong. I might go ahead and order another one as a replacement. That's if I don't end up returning it and going with the new Gold Playstation 4 headset.

Nothing is wrong with it. The Mixamp 5.8 literally eats through batteries, hence why you'll want to get the pack. I thought I could live with recharging my eneloops while not playing, but it became quite a hassle, as the 5.8 kept dying, and the recharge rate of the eneloops was way too long (double the hassle, as you had to remove them from the Mixamp to charge them). The battery pack lasts awhile, and you can recharge as you play too. More than worth it.

As for the DNA Pro, it's not a decent sounding headphone. It's a fantastic sounding one. If they can get the next version to be comfortable, and extend more for larger heads, it'd easily be among my top faves of all time. The sound quality is that good for the price.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #20,722 of 48,566
Nothing is wrong with it. The Mixamp 5.8 literally eats through batteries, hence why you'll want to get the pack. I thought I could live with recharging my eneloops while not playing, but it became quite a hassle, as the 5.8 kept dying, and the recharge rate of the eneloops was way too long (double the hassle, as you had to remove them from the Mixamp to charge them). The battery pack lasts awhile, and you can recharge as you play too. More than worth it.
An Astro rep said that it's supposed to last 7 hours with batteries and 17 hours using the battery pack. I'm guessing that's BS...

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #20,723 of 48,566
I'm pretty sure they rate it in the most convenient situations, as in low volume, etc. No batteries have lasted that long for me with either the first or second 5.8. The battery pack lasts long enough for a days worth of gaming, and it charges quickly too. You're literally throwing money at the 5.8 if you use standard batteries. Buy the pack. Just do it.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #20,724 of 48,566

As for the DNA Pro, it's not a decent sounding headphone. It's a fantastic sounding one. If they can get the next version to be comfortable, and extend more for larger heads, it'd easily be among my top faves of all time. The sound quality is that good for the price.

You know what's REALLY cool, Office Depot. They sell Beats headphones and the take returns on anything that is with box recipt and in working condition under a week old!

I've gotten a few pairs of $100+ Koss headphones there before and Im fairly certain I may be able to buy and return a pair of Monster headphones as well, 

I hate Monster, for the image it represents BUT... if monsters becomes to headphones what Apples is to computers, I'll still hate it... but I will also respect it. I hate Apple, all their products and their entire... just everything about the company aggrivates me. BUT I do respect them, they make a solid product that is reliable and easy to use. I respect the technology and hate teh buisness :3

If monster can produce a good headphone, that's Fantastic for the money... I'll still hate the company... but it'll be with up most respect :3 

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #20,725 of 48,566
Monster =/= Beats, just in case you didn't know. Beats is it's own thing now. Monster is a better company for it.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #20,726 of 48,566
Monster =/= Beats, just in case you didn't know. Beats is it's own thing now. Monster is a better company for it.

Agree'd but you know the company history, Monster wants Money, I respect them for making a better product for this goal and I respect them for severing ties to Beats, how ever... this is still Monster, maybe in 20-30 years they can establish some credibility as Koss and Sony has, but for now I'd rather avoid them, and support more passionate and smaller companies 

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #20,727 of 48,566
All companies want money. This is a business. If it wasn't for Monster, headphones wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #20,729 of 48,566
All companies want money. This is a business. If it wasn't for Monster, headphones wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

That  is very true, although I don't credit Monster for the popularity of headphones, back when I was in elementary school, plenty of the High Schoolers I knew then where rockin Sony CD players and headphones

I will say though, that Monster and Apple both... revelutionized portable Audio, I still feel how ever they charge far to much for the "cosmetic" value of the product they sell. Monster may be moving... in a direction within which it looks and sounds as good as other headphones in it's class but at the end of the day I'd still rather own a Audio Technica, or better yet maybe an Alpha Dog here soon

Non the less, I'd like to hear them. Just for the sake being able to confidently recommend them to others, I'm not sure if I've mentioned how little I care for the DJ 100, it's a nice enough Koss closed back that I've owned twice and never liked, but I see the potential in it and can comfortably recommend it

Although I do like Koss, non teh less lookin forward to hearing these some time this month. I'll have to stop buy and see who's got them, along with a generous return policy! 

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #20,730 of 48,566
Daddy, I'm interested if only because I'm more into simplicity over elaborate setups. I was always interested in the Sony headsets.

Shenay,I'm not talking about the use of headphones in general. I'm talking about the sudden surge of interest in headphones by casuals. Before Monster, before beats, headphones were just a device people used to listen to music. Now, it's become integrated with pop culture. It's become a 'Monster', literally. The funny thing though, even though it has become a lot more mainstream, it DOES grab a lot of individuals that didn't know about headphones and audiophilia in general. These people, then look into more serious, less well known offerings, and find their way here. that's where they learn of other types of headphones. I myself came here after only jumping into headphones with the mainstream Astro A40 gaming headset.

So no, before Monster and Beats... headphones were nowhere near the juggernaut business that they are today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back