Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #20,641 of 48,565
@Jumper.. the O2 effectively has 4 gain settings I believe; and they are jumper selectable. Sort of 2x or 6x, or 1x and 3x (some variation on the theme). 1x is very probably your safest bet. Check it out.. at least you can test it and the unit will give you plenty leeway unlike a Magni. You can even order one in that config. Hopefully somebody can weigh in here who's used it.

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind my asking, how did you arrive at the 1x suggestion - just curious. Also, I'm not aware of dip switches for the O2 - just the external in/out button selecting hi/low gain. I know you can pick the two gain levels for that switch when ordering the O2.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #20,642 of 48,565
^the 62 Ohm AKGs generally need only slightly more volume than a 32 ohm portable headphone, so you don't need extra gain really. Adding higher gain might make you be in a bad (real low) spot on the volume knob, and some other things to the sound character that I honestly forget at the moment.

However... I HAVE woken up enough to get on BL2!
You coming Axel?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #20,643 of 48,565
Research the O2.. those jumper settings are there all right, and I'd go for the O2 anytime over the Magni. 1x will allways the best setting to go for, but the gain might not be enough. Then go for 2.5x gain.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #20,644 of 48,565
Be specific, please. This is why many people's questions get overlooked... and they wonder why no one has responded...

x2

New members often post short vague questions and then expect to get lengthy detailed responses. 

People, be detailed and specific with your questions if you want to get helpful replies.  We can't help you if your question is too vague!

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #20,645 of 48,565
hi guys out of all of these what is the best i can get that is avaiable can anyone give me a amazon link also heard about the senheiser hd 800 being really good are they for competitive gaming i have the senheiser pc 360 right now but is damaged so wanna get a new headset/headphone what are the best options i dont have any budget just wanna get the best possible

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #20,646 of 48,565
  hi guys out of all of these what is the best i can get that is avaiable can anyone give me a amazon link also heard about the senheiser hd 800 being really good are they for competitive gaming i have the senheiser pc 360 right now but is damaged so wanna get a new headset/headphone what are the best options i dont have any budget just wanna get the best possible

The Sennheiser HD 800 and AKG K812 are basically the two soundstage kings out right now, so either one of those will probably be the best possible headphones for gaming right now.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #20,647 of 48,565

No budget? Best possible for competitive?

HD800, K812...

Stax?

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #20,648 of 48,565

The best you could get? Yeah, I'm sure the HD 800 is way up there, but you're willing to spend that kind of money on a headphone for just competitive gaming? What's your budget?

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #20,649 of 48,565
Thanks again SaLX and Evshrug. A follow up question though... How about the O2's gain settings in relation to the Mixamp - meaning the O2's standard 2.5x gain is stated to be meant for 2v desktop sources and the 6.5x gain for .5v portable sources. The Mixamp is rated at 1.6v, but is that not at max volume? I don't know that running the Mixamp full out is the right way to set it - I think around halfway or a little less would be ideal to reduce hiss. So at 50% volume its voltage would be down to around .8v, which I believe would be suitable for the 6.5x gain setting on the O2 from what I've read. Then don't forget the power draw from using a mic, which I would like to do. I will order the O2 with the 1x/2.5x gain option since that is the recommendation I've gotten here but please let me know if my concerns above make any sense.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #20,652 of 48,565
  What are these AKG K812 people speak of? I don't see them on Amazon or the AKG site.

http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/akg-by-harman/products/akg-k812-pro-superior-reference-headphones

Use coupon K812PRO for $200 off...

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #20,653 of 48,565
  What are these AKG K812 people speak of? I don't see them on Amazon or the AKG site.

Really? 

First result when I google "AKG K812":
http://www.akg.com/k812-1308.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back