Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #19,906 of 48,565
I sent James (of FiiO) a PM. 

Hi James,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there has been interest for quite some time among gamers-who-use-headphones for an "audiophile" company to come out with a device (Amp/DAC) that supports virtual surround sound, and based of FiiO's proven track record of making affordable high quality audiophile devices, they seem poised as an ideal company to make such a device.

If you could a get a chance, could you PLEASE pop into the thread below, as there is a lot of interest in this, and we would LOVE to discuss the possibility of such a device with the FiiO reps. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added/19845#post_10150863

Thanks for your time,
Chicolom

Here's his reply:

Quote:
Hi, Chicolom,  
     We will see whether we can do something for that but currently we are quite busy in the DAP line up and need to upgrade our e11/e17/e6 and such etc, anyway, it is a 

good idea. 

Thank you very much!

James

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #19,907 of 48,565
Nice!

I was wondering if we got his attention... because I noticed this morning he had posted in the E18 thread right around the time I tagged him.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #19,909 of 48,565
I may be willing to part with mine for a short while once the Alpha Dogs come in. I'm hoping to receive my upgrade email this week, but I may not have been quick enough to be one of the first 10 to sign up.

I'd definitely be down to babysit them for a bit... should you decide to do so :wink:

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #19,910 of 48,565
I'd sure be down to babysit them for a bit... should you decide to do so
wink.gif

It's possible that the AD may replace the HD650s in sound quality for me, potentially, we'll have to see. If that happens, I may get the newly announced HE-400i as my open cans. Crossing my fingers that I get to power them with a SuperDuper Geek from Light Harmonics CES competition. They used that little guy to power a pair of LCD2s at RMAF, and impressions were glowing. I'll know around 3am if I won or not.

So if the AD do end up replacing my HD650 I'll probably do a short tour of the gaming thread for a few members to try them before I sell them off for the new HiFiMan cans.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #19,911 of 48,565
I'm going to start a new thread on the FiiO forum petitioning for a device, so we can keep this request alive this time.

Once it's posted, everyone should go over and subscribe and express their support/interest for it (so that FiiO can see it), and ALSO help build a list the requirements the device would need to support (Optical input, Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding, line out, etc), AND any additional feature request hat you would like to see on the device (Digital Equalizer, DTS decoding, etc. - let's try and keep these realistic though and consider the cost certain features would add to the device). 

Aaaaannndddd, here it is:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/699717/petition-for-a-gaming-device-from-fiio

GOGOGOGO!!!

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #19,912 of 48,565
+1 for ma900. They are phenomenal for gaming. Just played Last of Us, and the positional ques are spot on the bass is just delicious for an open headphone. And ohh yeah thewe were made for battlefield 4. I also have no problems locating footsteps. overall the best allroudner for gaming,comfort and movies.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #19,913 of 48,565
  +1 for ma900. They are phenomenal for gaming. Just played Last of Us, and the positional ques are spot on the bass is just delicious for an open headphone. And ohh yeah thewe were made for battlefield 4. I also have no problems locating footsteps. overall the best allroudner for gaming,comfort and movies.

I liked the MA900's a lot but I needed bigger bass impact. Other than that, I thought they were amazing for the price.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #19,914 of 48,565

Plugging into the controller will just be a basic downmixed stereo signal (AFAIK), and the DS4 can't have much of a headphone amplifier in it.  So it will be bottlenecking the soundstage/dynamics/etc. of whatever headphones/headset you get with it.

I would just cut to the chase, do what everyone else eventually winds up doing, and get a surround device like the mixamp.  If you use chat a lot the voice mixing knobs will come in handy.

Good deal on the wired mixamp right now (comes with a FREE Astro A30 headset).
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wired-Audio-System/productID.253781900

Here's the wireless.  Not quite as good a deal, but it's getting hard to find wireless mixamp since they're discontinued.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wireless-System/productID.253782000

PC360, HD598, and HD558 are all solid choices for the ~$130-170 range.  If you stretch your budget there's the MA900, K601, and Q701 for 200, the X1 for 250, etc. etc.  For the Q-Pad, I'd look at the Qpad QH-85 instead, as that's the open version.  QH-90 is closed.  You can always attach mics to headphones if you want to use them like headsets.  I wouldn't get the Zalman, as it's not a great clip-on mic (not sensitive enough).

I highly doubt anyone here has heard that headset.  I'd be very surprised if it's better than an HD558 though.

No idea what the "Vivitouch technology" is, but if it's a vibrating bass effect that is NOT new technology as headsets have been doing that for a while now. 

I think it might be something else though.  I read the description of their site, but it wasn't very helpful at all:

The marketing runs so thick in that description that you'd need a chainsaw to cut through it.  Note that it says "USB mode only".  That gives you a clue that's it may be some kind of DSP that's tied to whatever USB soundcard the headset comes with.  Or it could still be a vibration effect which needs the USB dongle to work properly.

Thks a lot Chicolom,

I have the talking to the astro guys and they say the mixamp is designed for 32-Ohm headsets. Though both the PC 360 & HD 598 Sennheisers are 50-Ohm... would I lose power, bass or anything if I connect them to the mixamp?

And can I get an external microphone to use it with the HD 598, and with a Y adapter, connect both to the mixamp? What micro would you recommend, if not the zalman one?

If I just use a headphone (no micro), is there any device still valid but cheaper than the mixamp? I mean, I am not sure I am going to use the EQ presets and I am thinking over the micro as well... perhaps I just keep the headphone and that is all... with this config, I would then just need a sufficiently powered source to connect the HD 598 (just to amplify)...

thks a lot

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #19,915 of 48,565

Plugging into the controller will just be a basic downmixed stereo signal (AFAIK), and the DS4 can't have much of a headphone amplifier in it.  So it will be bottlenecking the soundstage/dynamics/etc. of whatever headphones/headset you get with it.

I would just cut to the chase, do what everyone else eventually winds up doing, and get a surround device like the mixamp.  If you use chat a lot the voice mixing knobs will come in handy.

Good deal on the wired mixamp right now (comes with a FREE Astro A30 headset).
(deleted)

Here's the wireless.  Not quite as good a deal, but it's getting hard to find wireless mixamp since they're discontinued.
(deleted)

PC360, HD598, and HD558 are all solid choices for the ~$130-170 range.  If you stretch your budget there's the MA900, K601, and Q701 for 200, the X1 for 250, etc. etc.  For the Q-Pad, I'd look at the Qpad QH-85 instead, as that's the open version.  QH-90 is closed.  You can always attach mics to headphones if you want to use them like headsets.  I wouldn't get the Zalman, as it's not a great clip-on mic (not sensitive enough).

Thks a lot Chicolom,

1.- I have talked to the Astro guys and the say the mixamp uses 32 Ohms. But Senn HD 598 &n PC 360 have 50 Ohms. Will I lose power/bass or other? Will I get the Sennheiser's quality out of the mixamp, or does it change in any way the Senn sound and not for good? (I mean if it just acts as an amplifier, sorry I am a layman...)

2.- Can I use an external micro and connect both Senn headphone + external micro (using a Y adapter) to the mixamp? What micro (other than zalman) would you suggest?

3.- Would you recommend between astro a40 & qh-85? But I guess it is preferable any of those 2 Senns above in terms of audio quality, right? Which of both would you recommend for PS4 gaming (esp.  Bf4)?

Thks a lot again

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #19,916 of 48,565
Good petition, Chico, let's try to get more head-fiers involved. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #19,917 of 48,565
  Aaaaannndddd, here it is:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/699717/petition-for-a-gaming-device-from-fiio

GOGOGOGO!!!

I've added an option to "sign" the petition at the top of that thread, so we can collect some of the interest via signatures.

Everyone interested in this (who wouldn't be) please sign and pass it on.

Maybe MLE could link to it for a while on the front page to help bump up the view/signature count (*hint hint)?

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #19,918 of 48,565

Thks a lot Chicolom,

I have the talking to the astro guys and they say the mixamp is designed for 32-Ohm headsets. Though both the PC 360 & HD 598 Sennheisers are 50-Ohm... would I lose power, bass or anything if I connect them to the mixamp?
  If I just use a headphone (no micro), is there any device still valid but cheaper than the mixamp? I mean, I am not sure I am going to use the EQ presets and I am thinking over the micro as well... perhaps I just keep the headphone and that is all... with this config, I would then just need a sufficiently powered source to connect the HD 598 (just to amplify)...

thks a lot

The mixamp will be fine for most 50 ohm headphones.  In your case, neither of those Sennheisers are particularly hard to drive.

If you do NOT need chat support, I'd recommend going with the Turtle Beach DSS (version 1) instead.  It has no options for plugging in a microphone, but it has the exact same surround sound as the mixamp and it can be had for ~$25 from eBay in the US.

2.- Can I use an external micro and connect both Senn headphone + external micro (using a Y adapter) to the mixamp? What micro (other than zalman) would you suggest?

3.- Would you recommend between astro a40 & qh-85? But I guess it is preferable any of those 2 Senns above in terms of audio quality, right? Which of both would you recommend for PS4 gaming (esp.  Bf4)?

Thks a lot again

Two external mic options are the "Deal Extreme Mini Clip-On Microphone", the Antlion Modmic.  There are some more listed on the front page.

I wouldn't recommend the A40 simply because it's overpriced.  It performs about on par with a ~80-100 headhpone, but at it's actual price it is beaten by most $100+ headphones - including the Sennheiser PC360 and HD5x8.

I haven't heard the QH-85, but it will probably be decent at the $100 mark but may not match the Sennheisers in quality.  FYI the QH-85 is a microphone version of the takstar HI 2050 headphone.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #19,919 of 48,565
Speaking about alternative solutions. Is there any headphone device on the market, beyond gaming industries like Tritton, Turtle Beach, Astro etc., which has a DAC and a chat functionality for consoles WITHOUT Dolby Headphone?

btw. awesome petition. 'bout f**ing time!

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #19,920 of 48,565
  Speaking about alternative solutions. Is there any headphone device on the market, beyond gaming industries like Tritton, Turtle Beach, Astro etc., which has a DAC and a chat functionality for consoles WITHOUT Dolby Headphone?

btw. awesome petition. 'bout f**ing time!

I'm not sure.

You can turn OFF Dolby Headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back