Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #19,891 of 48,565
  hi 1st of all excuse me because I am a complete layman here... I am doubting between senn pc 360, senn hd 598 and qpad qh-90. Use: ps4 through the ds4 on the gamepad. I come across some doubts:

- because of the fact that the ps4 gamepad has battery and therefore is not a "strong" power source, will I "lose" sound quality? in what sense (volumen, sound depth, ...)

- what if I connect the headphones to the tv set and then a micro (e.g. zalman clip-on) to the ps4 ds4 connector? That way would the sound be "as it should"?

- between the 3 above (I know one is not a headset), what do you recommend? (or any alternatives welcome...)

Thks in advance

Plugging into the controller will just be a basic downmixed stereo signal (AFAIK), and the DS4 can't have much of a headphone amplifier in it.  So it will be bottlenecking the soundstage/dynamics/etc. of whatever headphones/headset you get with it.

I would just cut to the chase, do what everyone else eventually winds up doing, and get a surround device like the mixamp.  If you use chat a lot the voice mixing knobs will come in handy.

Good deal on the wired mixamp right now (comes with a FREE Astro A30 headset).
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wired-Audio-System/productID.253781900

Here's the wireless.  Not quite as good a deal, but it's getting hard to find wireless mixamp since they're discontinued.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wireless-System/productID.253782000

PC360, HD598, and HD558 are all solid choices for the ~$130-170 range.  If you stretch your budget there's the MA900, K601, and Q701 for 200, the X1 for 250, etc. etc.  For the Q-Pad, I'd look at the Qpad QH-85 instead, as that's the open version.  QH-90 is closed.  You can always attach mics to headphones if you want to use them like headsets.  I wouldn't get the Zalman, as it's not a great clip-on mic (not sensitive enough).

hey Mad Lust and every one, i have a very important question to ask.
i wonder if you guys have heared of the new Mad Catz Freq4d with the new technology that would shake gaming pc ?
the vivitouch technology that is supposdly makes u feel the bass or feel the tank in BF4 instead of just hearing.
i've done alot of research and decided to get the hd 558 since it's a great choice at 130$ maybe do the foam mod.
but this new headset is giving me a hard time choosing since i know that Mad Catz aren't the best price/performance company
and that they are not as good as sennheiser but is it worth to get their headset at 130$ with the new tech instead of the hd 558 ?
i like soundstage and i dunno about theirs so :\

I highly doubt anyone here has heard that headset.  I'd be very surprised if it's better than an HD558 though.

No idea what the "Vivitouch technology" is, but if it's a vibrating bass effect that is NOT new technology as headsets have been doing that for a while now. 

I think it might be something else though.  I read the description of their site, but it wasn't very helpful at all:

ViviTouch 4D Sound transforms your headphone listening experience into a whole new sensory dimension of audio that sounds as if it's alive. It changes how you hear, not what you hear, producing rich, full-bodied sound that you can actually feel — just like you were experiencing it live. Listening to recorded music catapults you straight to the front row, movies become full-on cinematic events, and gameplay engulfs you in an utterly lifelike world. Whenever you want to be there live, all you have to do is plug in.*  
*USB mode only

The marketing runs so thick in that description that you'd need a chainsaw to cut through it.  Note that it says "USB mode only".  That gives you a clue that's it may be some kind of DSP that's tied to whatever USB soundcard the headset comes with.  Or it could still be a vibration effect which needs the USB dongle to work properly.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #19,892 of 48,565
aha so a head set that is wireless and with 7.1 surround sound + vivitouch technology is for 100$ and those damn mad catz are asking for a wired headset with no 7.1 surround sound but only vivitouch technology for 130$... damn am not gonna buy a headset till 7.1 + vivitouch  are in one headset for 100-130$ 

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #19,895 of 48,565
  PLYR1 by SkullCandy.

thanks for the quick reply, i wanted to tell you that there is no need for wireless but only 7.1 and that ( vivitouch or viberating bass or bassimpact ) has so many names xD
is there other options i can choose from ? if not it's okay i just thought if i tell u that wireless isn't needed you might be able to give me more options

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #19,900 of 48,565
Get the SubPac for tactile bass 
evil_smiley.gif

http://www.thesubpac.com/

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #19,904 of 48,565
  He can try the Pulse Elite Edition Wireless Stereo Headset. That's the only one that I know about that rumbles. I loved it for games.

Ugh. Sounds too gimmicky to take seriously. The money these companies must make from all of these "gaming" headsets just makes my butt cry.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #19,905 of 48,565
Ugh. Sounds too gimmicky to take seriously. The money these companies must make from all of these "gaming" headsets just makes my butt cry.

Well, I'm sure many of us have in the distant past, or not so distant past, actually purchased a gaming headset. I bought a Medusa 5.1 10 years ago (3 speakers in each cup job) - thought it was the dog's bollocks at the time. Now I know different. Maybe I should've posted this in Evshrugs "Things that I know now" thread...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back