Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #19,516 of 48,565
Well... this wouldn't be an issue if I did, now, would it? LOL
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #19,517 of 48,565
Just out of curiosity, I inquired with Emusic Enterprise and their K702s in Amazon's warehouse are the 2013 models that are made in China (assuming those have the flat headband).

Here is their reply from when I emailed them:

Our K702s were assembled in 2013. I believe the picture was provided by manufacturer. We can upload picture of the item but may we ask if there is any difference? All K 702s are now made in China and K712s are made in Austria.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #19,519 of 48,565
  Yea.. too bad I don't have a place around here to go try them on, kinda worried I'm going to get something that doesn't adjust far enough out, or puts a vice grip on my head lol

Then avoid the dt770 80ohms then, just after a week I feel like I have blisters on my jaw bones from the insane clamp of these. I am glad they are going back for an open set.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #19,520 of 48,565
  Yea.. too bad I don't have a place around here to go try them on, kinda worried I'm going to get something that doesn't adjust far enough out, or puts a vice grip on my head lol

I got the X1 today and have a large head, no issues so far. Had the Beyer mmx 300 and that was fine, 990 pro was a bit clampy but stretched them over a box over night, was fine then.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #19,523 of 48,565
Hi guys,
I'm building myself a gaming rig and torn between these  options:
K702 Annie, Q701, DT990, Fidelio L2 (Cant find the X1 here), or the D5000.

The pc will have a Sound Blaster ZXR capable of 600 ohm amp.

I mostly play Battlefield 4 and listen to old songs from Guns n Roses among others.

Would really like to hear some thoughts from experts here as I'm really a noob audiophile with only a GR07 before this :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #19,524 of 48,565
I currently use PC360 for gaming and was wondering how good are the X1's compared to the PC360? I know they have a different price point but was curious.

My PC360 will be dedicated gaming and I intend to use the X1 more for music with a little bit of gaming.

and also, how is the X1 compare to K702 Annies? Thanks.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #19,525 of 48,565
I currently use PC360 for gaming and was wondering how good are the X1's compared to the PC360? I know they have a different price point but was curious.

My PC360 will be dedicated gaming and I intend to use the X1 more for music with a little bit of gaming.

and also, how is the X1 compare to K702 Annies? Thanks.

I used HD598 for years and would say the X1 are 598 + 30% but nothing overwhelming. Honestly blown away by these. New favourite can. Seem to pair with Dolby HP really sweet too.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #19,526 of 48,565
For anyone who is kinda struggling between the Sony MDR-MA900 and the Philips Fidelio X1, I've decided to compare them a bit.
Though as MLE stated, they are apples and oranges.(and I generally speaking I agree with what MLE said, so a lot of things will overlap)
The important thing is that they are both amazing headphones for the price with different tonalities that share some similarities. So, whichever you get, you'd most likely be happy with it.
Nonetheless, I'll try. I'd like to add my 0.02 anyways.
To put things into perspective, I hate V shaped signatures, or purely bass centric headphones. I do like bass, but I also need my mids and highs!

Ok, Let's get to it.

Bass:

MA900 - Tight bass with some warmness to it and enough punch. Not really wonky or bloated. It's the kind of bass I like as it "knows" when to hit hard and when not. Still it is not that fully controlled audiophile bass only and the headphone certainly can provide enough of it to fill in every genre. It is adequate with all kinds of music.
I give it a 9/10, as for me it is warm enough but still tight as well to not intrude into the mids or other frequencies. There is just enough for me.
:]

X1- Now, I'd not call this headphone a bass-head can.per se. The bass is warmer than the MA's bass, but it is rather borderline bass-head than pure bass-head. I've heard a bunch of bass-heavy cans [Ultrasone Pro900, Audio Technica ATH-1000X. Sony XB series. Any Beats, etc.] but while these had a bad impact on the midrange, the X1 keeps it to a minimal. [Undeniably thanks to its spatial soundstage as well, but more about that later]. It can be tight and again adapts well to the genres you listen to, so no need to fear there. It always adds a bit more than the MA's obviously but I don't think I'd be enough to satisfy someone who wants just pure bass. Nevertheless, there is more bass and sub-bass, while still keeping it all linear to the mids as much as possible.
I give the bass a 9/10 as well, as even though it is not as tight and precise as it could be, it is still well within boundaries to not be considered loose and boomy.It is a smidge slower than the 900's bass but still fast enough. Very nice bass.

Midrange:

MA900 - This is where the headphone undeniably shines the most.Vocals & most instruments are presented clearly and vividly. There is a bit more midrange bloom as well, and due to their forwardness, the presentation is more airy than that of the X1's. Midrange & bass are thereby very nicely connected together. I feel the need to stress that thanks to more air, the soundstage might feel a bit bigger than that of the X1's, but I don't really think it is as I still feel that the X1 does have slightly superior imaging and slightly inferior instrument separation. More on that later.
The midrange gets a 9.5/10. I really like my midrange, probably the most of all the frequencies so a good bass to midrange transition is very important for me.

X1 - I've read comments saying the midrange is recessed. Now, I can't really agree with that. No, it is not as forward & exciting as the MA's nidrange but it is still very linear and surprisingly clear when one consider the relative increase in bass. There is less air in the mids [but more air in the bass & highs] but this seems like an intentional step to me rather than a negative side-effect of the low frequencies. Less air makes for a slightly better imaging. Still, I'd prefer a bit more air and the a pinch more forward mids [which is possible].
Still an 8.5/10. While they are not the star of the show [like the MA's] they do prove that a relatively bassy headphone can still have linear and clear midrange. Well done Philips! Other audiophile brands could definitely learn a lesson off you!

Highs

MA900 - Now, should the MA's manage here as well as it did in the bass & mids section, they'd be a perfect headphone, right? Unfortunately, they don't. There is a steep roll-off above 11khz [I think, don't quote me here], which does cause some instruments to lose their breath a bit too soon and feel a touch too smooth. Cymbals being the most affected. Still, the airy presentation detracts a bit from the fact. The good thing is that there is absolutely no sibilance at all and sibilants ["S" and "P"] can even feel a bit soft [!] sometimes. Still this is a plus in my book.
The score for high range is an 8/10. While the highs are smooth and unoffensive, they just roll-off way too losing or masking some details in the highs and causing some instruments to feel soft, taking away some transparency.
It is certainly not the most impressive reproduction I've heard [this spot being taken by the HE-6, while it might seem a bit too bright, after a month I got used to it and learnt to love the highs & vocal extension especially].
I still rank them high enough here and IMO the bass & mids more than make up for the treble.

X1 - We have the same situation here as we had with the mids, just reversed. The X1 does drop the highs off a bit too soon for my taste, but it is still late enough to not leave as many negative side effects as the MA's did. The cymbals have more bite and so do the electric guitars. The instruments in the highs have longer decay thereby, which is definitely a plus. I like long decays, just not in the bass. The sibilants gain a bit of weight, but it is the right amount for me. Not too smooth yet not too much to cause sibilance.
In direct comparison with the MA900, it is definitely the technically better high range. It still leaves a bit to be desired, but it is a point a point better.
A 9 from me then.

Imaging & soundstaging is neck and neck IMO.
The imaging goes to the X1s, while the instrument separation goes to the MAs. Soundstage width and depth is similar. Maybe the MAs is slightly wider, while the X1s is a bit more rounded. Both well above average and I really gotta say both are exceptional at these. 

Build quality goes to the X1. I think it is both a great made and gorgeously looking headphone. It feels very solid in the hands. The memory velour pads are very comfortable and the only shame is really just the fact that they are not removable, [owww :/]. Otherwise they are very soft and plush and are not the worst in terms of lint attracting [HiFiMAN is the king here...].
Removable cable is great too! [The stock cable is pretty, but is not ideal sonic wise. Any 1/8/3.5mm cable willl fit though!]
A 9.

The MA's, while comprised of  magnesium, they feel a bit wonky in the hand [though they are quite a bit lighter as well].
Anyway I feel like they are still very well build and am confident that if treated similarly [that means no table falls and throws] they can last as long as the X1s for a Thailand made product, they are fairly impressive.
The cloth earpads are non-removable too, but it is less of an issue here cause they are, well... cloth.
The headband pading and earpad padding could have been a bit more dense though.
My ears still fit both, which is an admirable effort [ They are not gargantuan, but I've had problems fitting many stock pads. Since these are not replaceable, I applaud Sony & Phillips for getting it right.]
Cable is not replaceable either, but even though it is a bit thin. It is very well  made & doesn't tangle, so good.
An 8+.

In terms of their respective price ranges, they are both a very good deal. The MA's at $200 slightly more perhaps, but the slightly more expensive [$300] X1 definitely makes up to it in build quality and some may definitely prefer their sound qualities.
I admire them both for what they are. They sound really, really well for their price and I'd really hate to choose only one.

Currently I use the X1 for gaming and movies and the MA for anything else [well, music]. But it's 1/2 and 1/2 in terms of usability and BOTH are great all-rounders IMO, I just find it more convenient [The X1s being a bit more comfy for me and has deeper bass, + mids are not as important in games/movies, though they are still good, MAs for those walks in the nature and listening to music at home due to their more balanced character, minus the bi too smooth [for my taste] highs.]

Conclusion - If you like balanced sound and smooth highs and are on a budget, get the Sonys, if you want a bit more bass, a smidge less midrange and can stretch there, get the Philllipses.

Ok, that should do. Should anyone have any further questions [or complaints :p] ask me [or MLE, though I am just trying to help here to give him a bit of a break so that he doesn't have to write this later on :D]

Hope this helps somewhat! :]
Cheers!

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #19,527 of 48,565
Nice comparison/impressions ^.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #19,528 of 48,565
If anyone wants the latest Splinter Cell: Blacklist game for PC (download code), make me an offer for it.  It came with a GPU I bought.

popcorn.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #19,530 of 48,565
Tempting...
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back