Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #18,361 of 48,562

Two things, although it is nice that it works on a bunch of systems, it really isn't necessary. The Turtle Beaches I had turned into my PC headset when my other ones broke and now I have neither and probably wont go back and forth connecting to to both the consoles and PC. I just need PC mainly. The other problem is it's $30 over budget for me, which might not sound a lot, but as it is I'm not to happy paying $100 as it is.

Well then I suggest you get a used 720+ or AX720

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008KH7NZA/sr=8-1/qid=1385446456/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=1385446456&seller=&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002ZS6Y64/sr=8-1/qid=1385446469/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=1385446469&seller=&sr=8-1

Then you can buy these velour earpads so you don't have wear someone else's, also because you said you don't like leather earpads.

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4835&idCategory=322

As I said before, it is VERY important that you have surround sound and the ability to balance game/chat audio. You really don't want to get anything lower then this.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #18,362 of 48,562

Well then I suggest you get a used 720+ or AX720

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008KH7NZA/sr=8-1/qid=1385446456/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=1385446456&seller=&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002ZS6Y64/sr=8-1/qid=1385446469/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=1385446469&seller=&sr=8-1

Then you can buy these velour earpads so you don't have wear someone else's, also because you said you don't like leather earpads.

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4835&idCategory=322

As I said before, it is VERY important that you have surround sound and the ability to balance game/chat audio. You really don't want to get anything lower then this.

Ok, that sounds like a pretty good plan actually lol. One thing I'm worried about is like my last two is having the arch break when I got to put the them on. I can safetly say I was not rough with them, although not OCD unplug the cord rap it nicely in a container kinda thing I didn't purposefully stretch it or drop it. Also the last thing that happened on my last headset was the right speaker went out. This seems to be a common problem on a lot of headsets as well and makes me wonder why? One thing that annoyed me while also possibly being the cause of the speak malfunction was the inline volume control that was so bulky it weighed my headset down. Once I had my settings right I never really need to touch them yet a simple bump and my volume went from easy listening to rock concert in 3.5 seconds. I kinda wish those things were only an option. I read a review on the 720+ that said someone had the right speaker go in 6 months. I want my headset to last more then 3 years for once is this even possible?

Lastly my setup is weird and I always wonder if I am getting good sound quality this way. I have the Turtle Beach PX21 going to the DPX module via USB and 3.5mm; from the module to a USB audio box via optical and to my computer via USB; and from the USB audio box to the computer via USB.

Does this make sense to do/continue to do in any shape or form?

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #18,363 of 48,562
Does anyone know how the Beyer T90 would be as a gaming headphone? Does it lack too much bass compared to the DT990 to be competitive? I know chicolom has heard these cans 
smily_headphones1.gif
 but I haven't seen any opinions given at length about the T90's gaming prowess (or lack thereof).

EDIT: Also, any opinions on the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for gaming?

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #18,364 of 48,562

Ok, that sounds like a pretty good plan actually lol. One thing I'm worried about is like my last two is having the arch break when I got to put the them on. I can safetly say I was not rough with them, although not OCD unplug the cord rap it nicely in a container kinda thing I didn't purposefully stretch it or drop it. Also the last thing that happened on my last headset was the right speaker went out. This seems to be a common problem on a lot of headsets as well and makes me wonder why? One thing that annoyed me while also possibly being the cause of the speak malfunction was the inline volume control that was so bulky it weighed my headset down. Once I had my settings right I never really need to touch them yet a simple bump and my volume went from easy listening to rock concert in 3.5 seconds. I kinda wish those things were only an option. I read a review on the 720+ that said someone had the right speaker go in 6 months. I want my headset to last more then 3 years for once is this even possible?

Lastly my setup is weird and I always wonder if I am getting good sound quality this way. I have the Turtle Beach PX21 going to the DPX module via USB and 3.5mm; from the module to a USB audio box via optical and to my computer via USB; and from the USB audio box to the computer via USB.

Does this make sense to do/continue to do in any shape or form?

I'm not 100% sure what your trying to say but if your worried about setup the 720+ and AX720 both have there own decoder box which is like a sound card and you simply plug a USB from decoder to PC.

Or you can use toslink from decoder to PC.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #18,366 of 48,562
@Bakuryu

Sorry but I forgot to mention.

Another option is to get this sound card that would be similar to the Tritton's decoder box, you can get it used for about $43.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0017DJXG6/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

Then get a different headset, my highest recommended headsets would be:

Razer Carcharias
Steelseries Siberia V2
Razer Kraken Pro

The reason I didn't recommend this before was because I somehow got it in my head that you were playing on a laptop....I could have sworn you said something like that...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #18,367 of 48,562
  Does anyone know how the Beyer T90 would be as a gaming headphone? Does it lack too much bass compared to the DT990 to be competitive? I know chicolom has heard these cans 
smily_headphones1.gif
 but I haven't seen any opinions given at length about the T90's gaming prowess (or lack thereof).

The T90s are excellent in terms of soundstage and positioning, right up there with best I've heard.  Their bass is fairly neutral, neither too light nor too heavy in quantity.  I had no issues with the T90's bass.

The only real caveat with the T90s is that their treble is very forward. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #18,368 of 48,562
No one wants to answer my questions? <Sadface>

Maybe I just didn't phrase it well :p 

What would be the main difference between the X1 and the DT990? I'm debating between both. This is my first ever headphone (literally, never even had crappy ones) for anything from gaming to movies/music. This will be paired with a Xonar STX and a ModMic. Also will be used with a laptop soundcard (for when I'm traveling, but that's about 20% of the time).

Any main differences or a why I should go for one or the other? I can afford both, so price isn't an issue. Just don't want to pay too much for nothing if you get my drift. Comfort and fun is a main factor for me as well as good positioning (doesn't have to be perfect).

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #18,369 of 48,562
What would be the main difference between the X1 and the DT990? I'm debating between both. This is my first ever headphone (literally, never even had crappy ones) for anything from gaming to movies/music. This will be paired with a Xonar STX and a ModMic. Also will be used with a laptop soundcard (for when I'm traveling, but that's about 20% of the time).  
Any main differences or a why I should go for one or the other? I can afford both, so price isn't an issue. Just don't want to pay too much for nothing if you get my drift. Comfort and fun is a main factor for me as well as good positioning (doesn't have to be perfect).

The X1 is warmer, has better mids, and is more balanced IMO.  The X1 is easier to drive.  The DT990 is pretty cold with recessed mids, hot treble, and a "V" shaped sound.

I'd go with the X1.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #18,371 of 48,562
What Chico said. As a DT990pro and 600ohm owner/fan go with the X1. You don't want to have to be lugging around an amp everywhere with your laptop. Beyers need juice your laptop most likely doesn't have that juice.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #18,372 of 48,562

The X1 is warmer, has better mids, and is more balanced IMO.  The X1 is easier to drive.  The DT990 is pretty cold with recessed mids, hot treble, and a "V" shaped sound.

I'd go with the X1.

Thanks for the reply! Made the decision to get the X1! Before I order though, I hear it's a good idea to replace the cable, any recommendations?

Also, is pad replacement that much of an issue?

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #18,373 of 48,562
Nov 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #18,375 of 48,562
Will the creative Sound Blaster Recon3D work with a console and sennheiser u320 headset?

The Recon3D USB works with consoles. I believe that you would need an adapter for that headset. Pretty sure it's designed with USB, a 2.5mm connection, and dual RCAs, not the 3.5mm you'd need for a Recon3D USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back