Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #1,427 of 48,562

Quote:
You sure? I heard they don't come with the Y cable anymore, is there a place where I can buy it if it doesn't?

Seems that the MixAmp doesn't, but the 5.8 does.

http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp_manual.pdf
Page 10, Package Contents -- no indication of Y cable
Page 11, Optional Cables -- there's the Y cable (as "Y adapter").

http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp58_Manual.pdf
Package Contents lists the Y cable

JudgeDreadLocks: do you live near a Radio Shack or equivalent store? They might be able to help you out.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,428 of 48,562
No, because the TV will more than likely downmix all audio signals to 2 channel, so all you're getting from the optical out is just that. This is why I'm saying to feed the optical straight from the console.

There's almost NO TVs that keep a Dolby Digital signal through their Audio out...

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #1,429 of 48,562

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxOaI8PHxw&feature=feedu

MLGSteggy's review of the PX5.

What I get from the PX5 is that if you're into heavily personalizing your equipment, this may work for you. Personally, I just want something that works, and works well without much input from me. That's the PC360 for me.

That 2.4ghz frequency is also a huge dealbreaker to many.

I already know it's trappings having used every TB headset and owning the cans I do. It's as good as it gets for soundwhoring+mic and is extremely nice for kicking back, what with wireless, bluetooth, etc. I agree that sound needs to be amazing without my editing, but since I only use it for MP and it sounds good enough while providing maximum footstep advantage and amazing utility. Also, I used to use Steggy's reviews back when I was into the whole Turtle Beach/Astro/Tritton thing but they're of no use to me now. As for the PC360, if someone desires an all in one can w/ mic and is on a limited budget, by all means.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #1,430 of 48,562
Ugg the choices. I'm going to be selling my HD600s and I need a good headphone for my laptop and maybe xbox for gaming and movies with some music. I want something that will be both really fun.I do enjoy the bass rumble from explosions and those type of things but like a well balanced audio sound too. I also want a least somewhat decent sound accuracy on pinpointing things.
Personally I'd like something I can use without a amp. But don't mind getting a cheaper little amp if needed.
I do already have a DAC and tube amp but I move my laptop around a lot and would prefer to get a small amp thats easier to move around if I need to use a amp.
Any pushes in a certain direction are helpful.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #1,431 of 48,562
Quote:
Seems that the MixAmp doesn't, but the 5.8 does.

http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp_manual.pdf
Page 10, Package Contents -- no indication of Y cable
Page 11, Optional Cables -- there's the Y cable (as "Y adapter").

http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp58_Manual.pdf
Package Contents lists the Y cable

JudgeDreadLocks: do you live near a Radio Shack or equivalent store? They might be able to help you out.

I do, but I think I know what you're talking about. I have this:

Is that what it is? I just want to make sure it isn't a special Y adapter.
EDIT: After further research, I've found that this isn't the adapter I need, is different. 

Quote:
No, because the TV will more than likely downmix all audio signals to 2 channel, so all you're getting from the optical out is just that. This is why I'm saying to feed the optical straight from the console.

There's almost NO TVs that keep a Dolby Digital signal through their Audio out...

I see. I've seen a few complaints about the hiss, is it really bad? Is it any reason to get the regular one over this one? Also, any suggestions on a mic to use with it?

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #1,432 of 48,562

Quote:
Tritton AX720. Same price as the wired Mixamp, less clutter as it stays near your game consoles, and all controls are in line. PLUS, free headset! It does have its hiss as a tradeoff, though I've used it and recommend it regardless.

i just found the base with no headphones for 44$, so that is fine with me!

it's 50$ with shipping added in

and you are sure that this is just as good as the mixamp right?

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,433 of 48,562
Yess, it just has some hiss, which you won't be paying attention to when gaming. Other than that, it has the same decoding as the Mixamp.

As for wired vs 5.8 Mixamps, wired has zero hiss, but more clutter. That's the main difference. Also, wired has an RCA input (think Wii use for Dolby Pro Logic II, which does work), as well as a Digital Coaxial input (which is rarely used these days BUT, you can buy a digital coax to optical digital adapter which will give you TWO optical inputs on the Mixamp. This works always, as opposed to gambling on optical splitters/switchers which rarely ever work).

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,434 of 48,562

Quote:
Yess, it just has some hiss, which you won't be paying attention to when gaming. Other than that, it has the same decoding as the Mixamp.

As for wired vs 5.8 Mixamps, wired has zero hiss, but more clutter. That's the main difference. Also, wired has an RCA input (think Wii use for Dolby Pro Logic II, which does work), as well as a Digital Coaxial input (which is rarely used these days BUT, you can buy a digital coax to optical digital adapter which will give you TWO optical inputs on the Mixamp. This works always, as opposed to gambling on optical splitters/switchers which rarely ever work).

how can i hook up a headset with it, do i use a ps/2 cord or will an s video cord work? i want to buy the adapter that goes with the headset but i want to know that i have the right cord to plug into it, it has just the decoder, the power, and the 5.1 optical cable that plugs into the ps3 and 360 console, also is there a way of buying the inline remote cable that breaks off from the headset? does anyone have one lying around that i can buy?

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #1,435 of 48,562

Quote:
Ugg the choices. I'm going to be selling my HD600s and I need a good headphone for my laptop and maybe xbox for gaming and movies with some music. I want something that will be both really fun.I do enjoy the bass rumble from explosions and those type of things but like a well balanced audio sound too. I also want a least somewhat decent sound accuracy on pinpointing things.
Personally I'd like something I can use without a amp. But don't mind getting a cheaper little amp if needed.
I do already have a DAC and tube amp but I move my laptop around a lot and would prefer to get a small amp thats easier to move around if I need to use a amp.
Any pushes in a certain direction are helpful.

Denon D2000. Amazing for the price, still a favorite of mine for music, extremely good for SP, pretty good in MP w/ DH (as long as bass isn't getting in the way as the D2K is muddier than the D7K). Works very well without an amp too. If your budget is higher, I can recommend some even better.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,436 of 48,562

Quote:

There is hiss with every one of these mixamps, DSS, etc. The Astro mixamp overall has the least, and the 5.8 has more than the wired. It makes using some headphones (D7K, T1) with both game and voice up impossible, but on some (AD700, D2000) it is barely noticeable on the 5.8. That's the primary reason I didn't just go ahead and use my D7000 for everything, just too much static for mic play.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,437 of 48,562
The wired Mixamp has zero hiss on certain headphones, and very VERY minor hiss with others. It may as well be no hiss, that's how much of a non-issue it is.

The AX720 hisses at all times, about as much as the 5.8 does at loud volumes. Still, it shouldn't be a problem when actually playing.

Phantasmor, I don't understand you question. Optical cables go to the Mixamp from the consoles. The headsets go to the Mixamp via the 3.5mm input.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,438 of 48,562

Quote:
Phantasmor, I don't understand you question. Optical cables go to the Mixamp from the consoles. The headsets go to the Mixamp via the 3.5mm input.

OK, i bought the ax 720 decoder, you know, the box the headset plugs into, without the headphones, and i feel stupid now, because i realized after i bought it they use something that looks like either a s video or ps/2 jack, i want to know which one it is, and if i can buy the inline remote cable which plugs into the jack, and separates from the headset, because i already bought the thing, so i might as well make use of it

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,440 of 48,562
OK, i bought the ax 720 decoder, you know, the box the headset plugs into, without the headphones, and i feel stupid now, because i realized after i bought it they use something that looks like either a s video or ps/2 jack, i want to know which one it is, and if i can buy the inline remote cable which plugs into the jack, and separates from the headset, because i already bought the thing, so i might as well make use of it

I could've sworn I replied tothis. Stupid phone.

The AX720's 'puck' can be separated to expose two 3.5mm inputs. No extra accessories needed.

For the love of headfi, PLEASE don't ever buy Zalman clip ons. They're pure garbage for most people. Get the dealextreme clip on that costs less than $3 and is BETTER. I speak from experience. The Zalman is trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back