Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,412 of 48,562

Quote:
The Beyer headzone has been posted a couple of times. In any case the one posted ISN'T the one made for gaming. That's the one with head tracking which is USELESS, as it changes the sound relative to where your head is current fixated on. Unless you are planning on gaming while looking away from the screen, this contraption mainly works just for music concerts and other things where you don't have to look at the screen. Who's gonna do that WHILE gaming? Lol.

The Headzone GAME (not pictured above), is the one that sounds like a glorified Dolby Headphone DSP, where it will give you a home theater setup in your headphones, and SHOULD in theory do better than said DH, CMSS, Silent Cinema, and other virtual surround DSPs. I'd love to try it, but that is one prohibitively expensive gaming amp.

51zPGenIu0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #1,414 of 48,562
i want to ask something, trying not to hijack the thread, but i want to know if there is am amp that adds virtual 5.1/7.1 like the astro mixamp other than the turtle beech dss, and how the dss stacks up against the mixamp

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,416 of 48,562
Tritton AX720. Same price as the wired Mixamp, less clutter as it stays near your game consoles, and all controls are in line. PLUS, free headset! It does have its hiss as a tradeoff, though I've used it and recommend it regardless.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,418 of 48,562

Quote:
Tritton AX720. Same price as the wired Mixamp, less clutter as it stays near your game consoles, and all controls are in line. PLUS, free headset! It does have its hiss as a tradeoff, though I've used it and recommend it regardless.

Why not just go for the 5.8 Mixamp at that point? Trittons are awful, I've had 2 and I hated the first even when it was my very first gaming headphone, and that says a lot.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,419 of 48,562
Why not just go for the 5.8 Mixamp at that point? Trittons are awful, I've had 2 and I hated the first even when it was my very first gaming headphone, and that says a lot.

I think you're exaggerating. the AX720 headset may not hold a candle to our fave gaming headphones, but they aren't that bad for beginners looking into gaming with a headset. I liked it more than the VERY popular Astro A40s, which to me is saying a lot. Besides, the main attraction isn't the headset, it's the AMP that works just well as the Mixamp, can be bought locally (Best Buy), and you won't have to incur a ridiculous shipping charge. Best Buy has a good return policy too, so should you not like the AX720 package, it can just be returned. I believe even Walmart stocks it.

The 5.8 is quite expensive when you factor everything (it will run you near $200 when adding the rechargeable battery pack...and trust me you'll want it as this thing eats up my Eneloops, and not to mention the PS3 chat cable which is also extra) and is still more cumbersome than the AX720...just that you're not directly tethered to the console. Just because you have a more expensive taste doesn't make the Ax720 useless. It's a robust package that appeals to quite a lot of people.

The AX720 is entry level headset, no doubt. Those who wanna get into this hobby should START here, and should they wanna upgrade, all they have to do is upgrade the headset later on, and use it with the AX720 decoder box. Easy breezy.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,420 of 48,562
I'm sure this has been asked a million times in this thread, but how would I go about using a 3.5mm headphone and a 3.5mm microphone on this thing? I heard you needed an adapter that didn't come with the mixamp itself. Will I still be able to use the voice mixer? And I've read somewhere about not being able to use this with HDMI. What's that about?

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,421 of 48,562
Mixamps come with a Y cable. You plug your cans and mic in. That's it.

Where did you hear about it not being able to be used with HDMI? Of course it can.... @_@

However to get the true Dolby Digital signal, you have to run an optical digital cable from the game console straight to the Mixamp. Getting the audio from the HDMI feed will most likely result in a downmixed signal.... most likely 2.1 stereo, which will just ruin the Dolby Headphone processing.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #1,422 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:

I think you're exaggerating. the AX720 headset may not hold a candle to our fave gaming headphones, but they aren't that bad for beginners looking into gaming with a headset. I liked it more than the VERY popular Astro A40s, which to me is saying a lot. Besides, the main attraction isn't the headset, it's the AMP that works just well as the Mixamp, can be bought locally (Best Buy), and you won't have to incur a ridiculous shipping charge. Best Buy has a good return policy too, so should you not like the AX720 package, it can just be returned. I believe even Walmart stocks it.

The 5.8 is quite expensive when you factor everything (it will run you near $200 when adding the rechargeable battery pack...and trust me you'll want it as this thing eats up my Eneloops, and not to mention the PS3 chat cable which is also extra) and is still more cumbersome than the AX720...just that you're not directly tethered to the console. Just because you have a more expensive taste doesn't make the Ax720 useless. It's a robust package that appeals to quite a lot of people.

The AX720 is entry level headset, no doubt. Those who wanna get into this hobby should START here, and should they wanna upgrade, all they have to do is upgrade the headset later on, and use it with the AX720 decoder box. Easy breezy.

I don't know about the 720, but the AX360 and AXPro were both absolutely worthless even when the best audio I knew back then was iBuds. Maybe the 720s aren't god-awful, but I'm sure they're not great. The A40s suck too, so that's not saying much. The only headsets I can take seriously after trying so many are the PX5, PC360, and hopefully that new one you showed.

Yes the 5.8 was expensive, especially for me because I paid for 1 day shipping and bought 4 accessories, but it was more then worth it because I can use audiophile cans without issue (mostly) and wireless (mostly). But if you don't have the $, sure go for the 720 pack I guess. Or "Xjacker" (whoever thought of that name is just amazing) if it's any good.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,423 of 48,562
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxOaI8PHxw&feature=feedu

MLGSteggy's review of the PX5.

What I get from the PX5 is that if you're into heavily personalizing your equipment, this may work for you. Personally, I just want something that works, and works well without much input from me. That's the PC360 for me.

That 2.4ghz frequency is also a huge dealbreaker to many.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,424 of 48,562
You sure? I heard they don't come with the Y cable anymore, is there a place where I can buy it if it doesn't?

Quote:
Mixamps come with a Y cable. You plug your cans and mic in. That's it.

Where did you hear about it not being able to be used with HDMI? Of course it can.... @_@

However to get the true Dolby Digital signal, you have to run an optical digital cable from the game console straight to the Mixamp. Getting the audio from the HDMI feed will most likely result in a downmixed signal.... most likely 2.1 stereo, which will just ruin the Dolby Headphone processing.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,425 of 48,562
My Mixamp 5.8 definitely came with a Y cable, as did my OLD wired Mixamp. I'm not sure about the new wired Mixamps however, but I'm pretty sure Astro would put it on their site for sale if it's not included in the new Mixamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back