Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #13,653 of 48,583
Quote:
Get the Mad Dogs (new ones). They seal amazingly well, are extremely comfy, and sound amazing. I'll be uodating my review of them to account for the differences.

Basically looking at an 8.75 fun, 7.25 competitive.

Looks like the last MD just didnt fit me right. That and it wasn't nearly as engaging as this one.

They have always been at the top of my priority list, but seeing as I need a monitor type pair of headphones, not one for strictly enjoyment, I would rather spend the $300 I have on something that goes well with that. Going into college is making me have to watch my money more then I'd like...

May 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #13,655 of 48,583
Quote:
Worse than even the cheap on-ear ones schools have that feel like a vice (and sound like a toaster)?

Most likely, yes. Many say these have what they call a "vice grip of death." I never even noticed it until I decided to wear them today while I had(have) a migraine. I believe before my often done stretching, they would apply somewhere between 5 to 10 pounds of force. With the constant stretching every so often, I can get them down to a little less then 5, maybe even down to 3 if I use books over night.

Edit: I just tried to see how much force I had to use with my hands to replicate the 280s. I'd say its close to half my full force.
Edit2: okay nevermind, they are nowhere near half force. They just felt that bad while my migraine was even worse.

May 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #13,656 of 48,583
Hello, thanks for the wonderful guide.

I have some questions in regarding to certain products:
I currently have AKG-K701 with FiiO E10 DAC for my desktop set up. However, I would like a virtual surround device for my PS3 and upcoming PS4. I'm having hard time choosing one between these two devices: Mixamp pro and DSS2. Which one should I pick? or is there any other different device I should get?
Also, please note that I don't really need mic support as I just want a decent device with no issues/problems.

Thank you.

May 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #13,657 of 48,583
How about the Q701s?
tongue_smile.gif

May 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #13,658 of 48,583
Good luck removing the headband without breaking something. :blink:

Also, it would've been much cheaper getting the K601 headband which is also flat. :wink:

Noooo... I wouldn't dare. I'm paying AKG to do it.

I'm getting the Annie headband for $20 more because it will give my Q701 that all black look after I dye the stitching. In the end (pads, black cable, headband, labor) it will all add up to the same price as the Annie. I know... that sounds like alot. Yes, I'm loonie when it comes to my cans. I'll call it my very own Q712 Pro :)

May 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #13,659 of 48,583
Good luck removing the headband without breaking something. :blink:

Also, it would've been much cheaper getting the K601 headband which is also flat. :wink:

Noooo... I wouldn't dare. I'm paying AKG to do it.

I'm getting the Annie headband for $20 more because it will give my Q701 that all black look after I dye the stitching. In the end (pads, black cable, headband, labor) it will all add up to the same price as the Annie. I know... that sounds like alot. Yes, I'm loonie when it comes to my cans. I'll call it my very own Q712 Pro :)

Edit: DP

May 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #13,660 of 48,583
Quote:
making my old $80 Sony computer speakers sound laid-back and thin by comparison.

I have the Creative T40s and they're pretty decent for computer speakers.

Edit: They're no bookshelf monitors but do perform well for what they are.

May 19, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #13,661 of 48,583
Quote:
I've DONE that! the clamp fixes itself after whatever time you left it unclamped. 1 day on book stack? 1 day unclamped. 1 week on books? 1 week unclamped. Then again, they don't have that amazing isolation without the clamp, so I'm completely okay with it. But when I have a headache and I don't even need isolation because its night time... ugh... I shall go on though, because I need me my music!

All that work to fix what is the most uncomfortable headphone ever and for what? And even if it does become slightly less uncomfortable, what fix do people have up their sleeve to address the worst sounding headphone ever that is absolutely no good for anything? Cut your losses and move onto something that deserves play time.

May 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #13,662 of 48,583
I still completely disagree on that. There are times when I listen to these that music can come pretty close to making me cry out of sheer joy from the beauty of the sound. If these headphones are somehow truly bad, then what would a good pair even do to me? I don't think that would be good for my health.

Edit:What is so bad about them? I don't get it...

Edit 2: Now that I don't have a headache, these are really comfortable again! I bought some dark blue spray paint to make these things look good enough to take outside.

May 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #13,663 of 48,583
Ok guys, let's not put people on the defensive...
I don't honestly know that much about the HD280, other that it's intended for studio use, because it is almost never recommended by virtue (or should I say, vice) of it's unusually strong clamping force. I honestly think the people that can wear it have a narrower head, and/or their ear area goes numb from the pressure. I don't usually see people complain about their sound, but I HAVE read reviews where Grados and even Bose are regarded as having superior sound.

The main benefits of the HD280 is strong passive isolation, and durability. Those are "pros" for Pros in the industry. Cons are comfort and compromised soundstage, and the SQ is still below the highly reviewed "best value" headphones even after you take out the "tuned for studio mastering" facet. I wouldn't say they are a BAD headphone, rather I would say they fulfill a very specific need and may be too purpose-biased for the general consumer. IMO, I'd rather have Etymotics for isolation and portability in noisy situations, they're comparatively more comfortable for me than closed supra-aural headphones and scientifically proven to offer much more isolation (like +60 dB I believe), and then have a super-comfy, open, reference headphone to relax to at home.

I think what RogueGeek's main point was one I experienced when I first got into higher end audio: I heard it, and I was immediately like "why did I wait so long?" Same thing with past computer purchases. Learn vicariously from us.

May 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #13,664 of 48,583
Quote:
Ok guys, let's not put people on the defensive...
I don't honestly know that much about the HD280, other that it's intended for studio use, because it is almost never recommended by virtue (or should I say, vice) of it's unusually strong clamping force. I honestly think the people that can wear it have a narrower head, and/or their ear area goes numb from the pressure. I don't usually see people complain about their sound, but I HAVE read reviews where Grados and even Bose are regarded as having superior sound.

The main benefits of the HD280 is strong passive isolation, and durability. Those are "pros" for Pros in the industry. Cons are comfort and compromised soundstage, and the SQ is still below the highly reviewed "best value" headphones even after you take out the "tuned for studio mastering" facet. I wouldn't say they are a BAD headphone, rather I would say they fulfill a very specific need and may be too purpose-biased for the general consumer. IMO, I'd rather have Etymotics for isolation and portability in noisy situations, they're comparatively more comfortable for me than closed supra-aural headphones and scientifically proven to offer much more isolation (like +60 dB I believe), and then have a super-comfy, open, reference headphone to relax to at home.

I think what RogueGeek's main point was one I experienced when I first got into higher end audio: I heard it, and I was immediately like "why did I wait so long?" Same thing with past computer purchases. Learn vicariously from us.

Actually, it strongest ability isn't studio use, its DJ use, and it truly is one of the best headphones in the price range for that. It has almost a 5 db boost on the sub bass that kind of cuts through the rest of the sound. When DJing, this allows you to hear exactly when the beat happens, and of course allows you to get into the rhythm of the song for that purpose. For what it was designed for, the 280s do their job perfectly.  Of course it also does great on isolation for a full sized can (I don't know if anyone could pull off DJing with an IEM, really). I'm so used to the sound, though, that it works wonders for me, even if everyone else hates it.

My HA-S500s will be in next week, so we will see if these are really so bad at the price point
smily_headphones1.gif

Then I'll be getting the Q701s a month from now, so I'll get to finally hear some high end audio!

May 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #13,665 of 48,583
I think the 280 Pro is a pretty decent sounding headphone, signature-wise. Well balanced, with no real strengths or weaknesses. It's what I've come to expect of Sennheiser. Workhorse headphones with inoffensive sound quality, and strong clamp, lol.

It just isn't good for virtual surround gaming with it's extremely closed soundstage.

I apologize for the lack of 'proper' review of them. I wrote it when I was starting out this guide, and had obviously not hit my stride in terms of review quantity and quality. All I basically said was that they were uncomfortable and they didn't do well for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back