Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #11,716 of 48,578
Quote:
Hello fellas, and wow, what a progress, over 700 pages already..

Been looking for a closed gaming headset for a while, that is about ~60 $  So firstly Koss KSC75 got my attention and then after i read elsewhere some about PortaPro it kept going, albeit as being not sure which one to choose, i felt asking would be the best option.
Here are my preferences as follows;

* Comfortableness is important
* Isolation is not on top priority, but not on lowest either.
* majority of games will be from new generation, if not all be fps, but H&S and such..

So which models would fit my needs at best,and be as best value tier ?

Thanks for reading.

Keep an eye on the CAL, they fluctuate often and have dipped down to $60 many times. The KSC75 and PortaPro are both open headphones. With those headphones there is no isolation whatsoever. I love both of mine, but if you need isolation you'll want to look elsewhere.

Amazon link for CAL!
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360977305&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #11,717 of 48,578
Quote:

It looks like the "+" is just for some minor changes to the headset.  The box is probably the same.

The main difference between all of the dolby headphone devices is noise floor.

Actually the box is different.  The picture on page 1 is of the the 720+ while the review appears to be of the AX 720.  You can tell the difference by the main volume knob.  One would assume if they took the time to change the case they probably did some work on the internals. 

With that all said, can anyone comment further on the Tritton 720 Dolby box (either AX 720 or the 720+) and how it compares to say the DSS or Mixamp?  Thanks. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #11,718 of 48,578
Keep an eye on the CAL, they fluctuate often and have dipped down to $60 many times. The KSC75 and PortaPro are both open headphones. With those headphones there is no isolation whatsoever. I love both of mine, but if you need isolation you'll want to look elsewhere.

Amazon link for CAL!
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360977305&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live
ir

Gawd. I have to get a Cal now <3 my dt 880 is sadly too noisy 4 mike

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #11,719 of 48,578
Quote:
Actually the box is different.  The picture on page 1 is of the the 720+ while the review appears to be of the AX 720.  You can tell the difference by the main volume knob.  One would assume if they took the time to change the case they probably did some work on the internals. 

With that all said, can anyone comment further on the Tritton 720 Dolby box (either AX 720 or the 720+) and how it compares to say the DSS or Mixamp?  Thanks. 

That new box design has actually been out for about two years.  I remember they had it when Gears of War 3 came out (September 2011) and I think before that even.  I remember someone posting an impression on the updated box in this thread a long time ago, but I don't really remember what they said except for them saying it still had some hiss.

What specifically are you wondering about how it compares to the DSS and mixamp?  Are you wondering about differences in features (chat support,etc.) between them?  Like I said before, they all have the same surround sound processing and the main sound quality difference is in noise floor...

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #11,721 of 48,578
Seriously. Even the most open headphones I've used don't cause noise for the mics I have used. One example is the AD700. That o e is much more open than the 880s, and is extremely popular with mic use.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #11,722 of 48,578
I'm sorry, this question was probably being asked a million times to you guys but i'll risk myself anyway.

Looking for an upgrade over my Tritton AX 720. Been having lots of problems lately with them(mostly the mic and random loss of signal)

I'm in need of an all-around headphone/headset since I don't have money for 3+ pair of headphones. I'll use it mostly for gaming(fps and rts) but also music(all genres) and movies. I'm thinking of getting the AKG Q701 with a clip-on mic(probably the AntLion). Do you think it would be a good choice? is there any better choice/combo out there?

Other options I was considering in the ~300$ price range:

Sennheiser PC360
Sennheiser HD598
V-Moda M-100

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies! I need your help.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #11,723 of 48,578
Hello fellas, and wow, what a progress, over 700 pages already..

Been looking for a closed gaming headset for a while, that is about ~60 $  So firstly Koss KSC75 got my attention and then after i read elsewhere some about PortaPro it kept going, albeit as being not sure which one to choose, i felt asking would be the best option.

Here are my preferences as follows;

* Comfortableness is important
* Isolation is not on top priority, but not on lowest either.
* Low noise on mic
majority of games will be from new generation, if not all be fps, but H&S and such..

So which models would fit my needs at best,and be as best value tier ?

Thanks for reading.

Amazon link for CAL!
ir

thanks for that AxelCloris, any other alternatives would be handy !

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #11,724 of 48,578
JUST got the LCD2. The Bamboo is the lighter one right? If so, it doesn't feel much heavier from the HE-400. I must have a huge head, as I have to have it fully extended.

First impression: Already hate the leather pads... HATE. But I expected that. If the Vegan pads sound the same and cut down on that horrible feel on my skin, I might actually REALLY like the LCD2.

The first thing I felt when I put them on that immediately irked me, was the airplane cabin pressure. I'm absolutely surprised it has this, when it's not a closed headphone. That's gonna take getting used to.

Sound-wise, it reminds me a lot of the HE-650 in tonal balance, with HE-400's bass, and HD650's mids and treble with added refinement. So basically, the LCD2's sound is favorable, as I love both the HD650 AND HE-400.

These are stupid quick impressions, nothing concrete.

edit: Yes, HE-400 bass + HD650 mids and treble+ refinement = LCD2.

I haven't gamed with them yet, but FWIH so far, I'm willing to guess:

Fun: 9
Competitive: 6.5/7 (sounds more like a closed headphone, and I have a feeling soundstage+positioning isn't gonna be great)
Comfort: 7 (good, not great, and I'm not even taking the fact they are leather pads into account. For me personally, comfort is more of a 6, but I'm biased against leather)

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #11,726 of 48,578
I had the Panasonic HTX7. I dunno how the hell they were so popular. They sounded sooooo bad for me. They are cheap and that retro look is nice, but dear god, no.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #11,727 of 48,578
MLE, your HE400s are currently on their way to Evshrug. 

I also modded the parts express headband and added it to the box (*cough* someone owes me $2 paypal)
very_evil_smiley.gif
  JK, don't worry about it.

I jotted down enough notes and impressions on the HE400 to do a full comparison/review, so I just need to write them up in a review format and I'll probably post them in this thread and also in a new side comparison/review thread.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #11,728 of 48,578
That was quick, didn't feel like you had them that long. Easy question: Love, like, dislike, hate?

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #11,729 of 48,578
Quote:
JUST got the LCD2.

First impression: Already hate the leather pads... HATE.

The first thing I felt when I put them on that immediately irked me, was the airplane cabin pressure. I'm absolutely surprised it has this, when it's not a closed headphone. That's gonna take getting used to.

LOL, you mean they don't "disappear on your head"?

I never would have guessed that....

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #11,730 of 48,578
Quote:
That was quick, didn't feel like you had them that long. Easy question: Love, like, dislike, hate?

Ya.  That's the exact same thing Evshrug said
tongue_smile.gif

I had them for less than a week but I got several solid hours of listening on them.

Definitely like, and parts of it love...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back