Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #11,089 of 48,583
^It's a Bungie thing. I don't think the poster is for real. They do have a dog's head in a jar with formaldehyde preservative though, long story involving a med-student roommate in the early days of Bungie.

It is sorta gaming-related...

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #11,090 of 48,583
So it is going to be a pricey week for me but I think I deserve it.

I just bought D1+ with the full upgrade. I am hoping to use it flat out but if I have to I will pair it with my E9 for my K702 Anniversary and my soon to order HE400. Not sure if I need the E9 at all with both headphones but the added warmth of the tube upgrade will hopefully be a nice pairing for both headphones.

I really wanted the compass 2 but that websites ordering procedure really really really annoys the hell out of me. Kingwa though from his posts seems like a hell of a good guy. If I don't like the sound of the D1 then I will be putting it up on for sale forums in Canada and order the compass 2. Already have to setup my paypal again so I can move the HM5s and 668B from my inventory. I have a feeling the Annies and HE400 will be all I need. (X1s maybe down the road.)

I can report back the difference of the E09K/E17 and D1+ if anyone cares. My source will be a realtek onboard/mixamp so your opinions may vary from mine.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #11,092 of 48,583
I've got some new toys today! (No, I didn't take the image upside-down; blame Dropbox wanting to rotate my pictures for NO reason.)

Not pictured is the capture card I've been waiting on, which coincidentally arrived today; I'll be sure to put that through its paces soon, with my various consoles (but mainly the PS3).

First impressions with the HE-400 itself are that it's very well-built and FEELS like you'd expect of a $400 headphone, it's a lot lighter than I was expecting, and it also clamps a bit less than expected...but I would have liked some slightly bigger cups or earpads, as the top and bottom of my earlobe does noticeably touch the pads, which doesn't happen with a Stax Lambda's noticeably taller earcups. Overall, good marks for comfort.

For sound presentation, the mids don't sound painfully recessed to me like I feared from some other people's impressions. Bass and treble notes are a bit more prominent than vocals, though, in contrast to the SR-Lambda's "vocals first" sort of presentation.

Soundstage is noticeably less "airy" and vast than a typical Lambda, but still pretty good. To be fair, the Lambda line bests even the AD700 for soundstaging in my experience, which is no small feat.

Sense of clarity seems pretty good thus far, with voices coming in mostly unobstructed and treble having some "sparkle" if it's called for. I guess that's something planar driver structures tend to excel at in general, whether driven with magnetic or electrostatic force.

(Also, there were TWO sets of velour pads for some reason. Just goes to show how much MLE loves velour pads!)

The ODAC is also surprisingly small. I've seen 15-stick packs of gum bigger than this thing. Definitely a good choice for portable use. I'll get to testing that later, after I've familiarized myself with the HE-400's sound presentation.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #11,094 of 48,583
I never understood why people want a 300mbps wireless or 1gbps Ethernet connection to their router, when all that awesome bandwidth will be bottlenecked by a 20 Mbps "high speed" Internet. What's my bandwidth performing at now anyway? [Edit: weaksauce, it's 1:30am and we only have 12 mbps, tested twice. why did we pay extra to upgrade from 15 to 20mbps if i cant get even 15 in the middle of the night?] Now I do believe a better wifi signal and a better router help saturate a connection and work more efficiently (making it more likely to get host), and a wired connection is less finicky.
------
Impulse,
You make me hungry. DAMN YOU! I worked the crap outta myself at the gym and a whopper sounds like a delicious setback. Thank goodness I probably wouldn't make it to a BK before they close in 20 mins.

In my house a wireless signal is simply not strong when it has to get past three or four concrete walls to reach certain rooms, throughput is under 10mbps at the farthest rooms...

Plus it's just convenient for PC to PC transfers. USB 3.0 is faster but not every PC here is that recent, and USB 3.0 flash drives top out at like 200/100 MB/s read/write anyway (plus the duality of waiting for it to finish writing at one system before reading it on the next).

I wish the next step up after Gigabit Ethernet was more affordable, it's been years now. :D

Also, the BK closest to me is open 24/7... I think it's because they're near a BK warehouse and they open late for the workers' benefit. I'm not particularly big on BK but I end up eating there often just because of the hours... It's really not good for my waistline. :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #11,096 of 48,583
Quote:

I just quoted that so you would see this, but I wanted to thank you for getting me into Electrostats/Electrets. I got my first pair of electret headphones the other day, Numark ES-701. I am amazed at the sound quality so far. I've been and am currently looking for a nice Lambda or LNS, but these are filling the gap in the meantime.

Thanks!
-Erik

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #11,097 of 48,583
Quote:
I just quoted that so you would see this, but I wanted to thank you for getting me into Electrostats/Electrets. I got my first pair of electret headphones the other day, Numark ES-701. I am amazed at the sound quality so far. I've been and am currently looking for a nice Lambda or LNS, but these are filling the gap in the meantime.

Thanks!
-Erik

You're welcome. I think a lot of the vintage electret and electrostatic models tend to be underlooked for some reason.

I haven't heard the ES-701 specifically, let alone any of the numerous other electrets and electrostatic models released around the 1970s or so (Stax did a lot of OEM work back then), but going by how pleased you are, it doesn't seem half-bad at all. Might be a nice affordable alternative to the more expensive Lambdas.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #11,099 of 48,583
Quote:

I think a lot of the vintage electret and electrostatic models tend to be underlooked for some reason.

You sort of answered your own question in the same sentence...
tongue.gif

I'm not sure Best Buy has a vintage electrostatic demo area...

BTW, what are those green things on your Stax pads?

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #11,100 of 48,583
Could anyone give some insight on this?

AGH... umm, the NFB-11.32 does NOT have an analog in, so you can't hook it up to the soundcard's headphone jack or anything that's not digital. That is why I specifically mentioned that if you need an analog in, you need the Compass 2, or SA-31 instead.

Find out which soundcard allows Dolby Headphone through the digital out. I think Purple Angel knows.

I wanna know too for future reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back