Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #9,571 of 48,579
Quote:

It'll be about time if we can get some headphone surround processors with HDMI input and 5.1 LPCM decoding. So far, that leaves us with only a few options:

-old A/V receivers with Dolby Headphone support (Harmon Kardon AVR 254/354 look promising)
-Smyth Realiser A8 (Do you really have $3,000+ to spend on one of these, let alone access to a theater where you can make a recording?)

Very good question there. I recall Sensaura Virtual Ear allowing for some adjustments (it was featured on a few Crystal Semiconductor-based sound cards and some Analog Devices SoundMAX integrated audio codecs 'til Creative bought them out and likely used the tech to help develop CMSS-3D Headphone), but so far, you can't really get anything personalized without shelling out the big bucks for a Smyth Realiser.

I did see an article posted here some time ago about constructing a personalized HRTF simply by taking three photos of the user's head-one from the front, and one for each side. If someone were to implement that in a commercial surround processor, it could allow for personalized 3D audio, seeing as it's not constrained to simulating a surround system like the Realiser, and hopefully at a much more affordable price since all you'd need is a camera.

Nice. The neat thing about most Aureal Vortex chipset cards is that unless you're looking for something really rare like the Aureal SQ3500 Turbo (a not-quite-made-it-to-market variant of the SQ2500 paired with a DSP daughterboard), you can generally find them dirt cheap if you're not too picky beyond "must have an AU8830 chip on it".

They also have some pretty good Sound Blaster Pro emulation for DOS games. (Just don't use it in conjunction with the Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack; for some reason, installing that and leaving the SB Pro emulation enabled results in a BSoD. Said pack also gives me a few issues with some other games, so I don't bother.)

While you're planning this Win98SE build (don't see any reason to use Win95 or WinME in its place), you might want to do some research over at VOGONS, since it's a forum full of people who build retrogaming rigs.

Yup, that'd be nice. Okay, still gonna try out the MyEars sometime though.Yeah, I remember that article, man, we should start a startup company! Even if funds were limited, isn't there a website/company that will allow multiple people to donate to a cause? Come on, this is how Facebook started! I can see it now! WaveTracing is back! Console Virtual Surround is a thing of the past now with complete 3D audio. Mannn. Anywho, on to reality... Yup, I got it for $37 with shipping!! Do you have a card? Btw, is this card capable of A3D 3.0? I heard Halo maybe used this? Oh man, lol, good to know. Sounds great. Thanks! Still, I'm interested in the PS3 to Auzentech to Receiver bit.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #9,572 of 48,579
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624979682289/3/ - Can anybody "decode" what that guy on the forums quoting the DICE dev was saying about the audio, and how this relates to software rendering vs hardware accelerated and 3d audio please?

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=844394&page=5 - Also, this is how to force your X-fi to use OpenAL on Borderlands 2. I'm curious if this can be done for all games somehow? Regardless if CMSS-3D is using OpenAL or Direct3Dsound, isn't it still a generic HRTF? Or does it change, becoming all fitting once it's able to be hardware accelerated?

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #9,573 of 48,579
Quote:

I do, and I use the M-stage.  I actually get enough volume from the mixamp alone, but the M-stage seems to improve the soundstage a little.  I tried the E9 too, but it didn't seem to improve anything.

I'm not sure I'd recommend getting a $250 amp just for the purpose of double amping, but If you use it for music too, then it's more justifiable.

The ODA is the only other amp that I'm curious to try, so I wish it would come out too. 
frown.gif

Chico,

If you use the M-Stage how do you get Dolby through the Mixamp. It seems like you would need to use a 1/8" mini to RCA between the Mixamp out and M-stage in. My god!
BNC > RCA > Banana plug > Co-ax > 1/8" > Alligator clips > 1/4". Too many connectors is a signal quality nightmare.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #9,574 of 48,579
Okay, screw the Auzentech, wow, that's had some horrible support, hardware issues, and reviews. Chiefly, check the Amazon and Newegg reviews for this card. No phone number or information other than a support ticket? LOL. Maybe there's one other card that has HDMI in and out. Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3. I guess these things are a "thing" of the past as Graphics cards are now able to bitstream and what not. Yeah, so I don't get to use CMSS-3D on console (it's not available in any shape or form that I know of), but maybe I can try MyEars.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #9,575 of 48,579
Quote:
I just got my mmx 300's and am loving them! they are ALOT more detailed and accurate sounding than the 2013 a40's. I will post up more impressions as I play around with them more. The only problem is that I have the wrong y-splitter for my mixamp. I need the 2 female to 1 male, and I have the 2 male to one female. 

Will this splitter on ebay work? Or should I go straight from astro? I figure I can find a splitter for cheaper somewhere in the U.S. preferrably so im not waiting a long time to get it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3-5mm-Jack-Combo-Headphone-Microphone-Splitter-Cable-for-i-Phone-Phone-Tablet-/271115231784?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f1fba2228

or what about this one 
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Headphone-Splitter-Separate-Controls/dp/B0016CFZQ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1355163057&sr=8-7&keywords=microphone+headphone+splitter

in other words, does the microphone and headphone jack have to be specified as being different? Or is any 3.5mm female going to work both ways whether if it has an input going into it or an output going out.

let me know what you guys think

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SP0WAQ works great.

-Erik

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #9,576 of 48,579
Quote:
Okay, screw the Auzentech, wow, that's had some horrible support, hardware issues, and reviews. Chiefly, check the Amazon and Newegg reviews for this card. No phone number or information other than a support ticket? LOL. Maybe there's one other card that has HDMI in and out. Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3. I guess these things are a "thing" of the past as Graphics cards are now able to bitstream and what not. Yeah, so I don't get to use CMSS-3D on console (it's not available in any shape or form that I know of), but maybe I can try MyEars.

wow grats to you man. Getting  a sound card for your rig! I'm just decdeing to buy a external DAC and live with that xD 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #9,577 of 48,579
Quote:
wow grats to you man. Getting  a sound card for your rig! I'm just decdeing to buy a external DAC and live with that xD 

Yeah, possibly! It seems everything I get is rare, lol. I own a Soundblaster Extigy, Psyko Carbon (which I'm returning now in favor of virtualized with the Q701's), and a 60GB PS3 (hardware ps2 version/4usb ports) that never had the warranty seal broken (which I sent to http://www.fixmypcdoctor.com/product.php?productid=17&cat=4&page=1) for preventative measure. Mine is totally custom. The HDMI port was not working when I bought it, so this guy set up a clean looking HDMI female cord running right out of the back about 6inches. It keeps strain off the port and is surprisingly clean looking. It's pin for pin identical to the original HDMI port, which now has black tape over it (it's very seamless, almost like it's missing an HDMI port, lol).

Installation service includes:
  1. PS3 ezChill Fan Mod Kit
  2. Professional Handling and Installation Into Your PS3
  3. Complete System Cleaning and Dust Removal
  4. Re-Application of Highest Quality Arctic CPU/GPU Heatsink Thermal Compound
  5. Custom Thermal Adjustment For Maximum Cooling Efficiency
  6. Complete System Inspection and Testing Before Returning to Customer

I don't get any compensation for this, but I'm just mentioning this whole thing because this is the only guy that installs a custom, tuneable, fan mod on the PS3, well, maybe there are others, but he offers warranty afterwords (I think I had 6?, but he has some refurb ps3's with all this modding done to it with a 1yr warranty) and all I had to do was ship it to him. Thing is, the stock PS3 fan just is a bad implementation. Basically, if you have a PS3, it's going to fail. It's designed that way. Read here: http://killerbug.net/PS3FanTechInfo.html << So, that's why you need to get this, lol. It's not gonna last indefinitely, but it will for sure extend the life a great deal, especially if it's never had any problems like mine (I got soooo lucky). Funny, because, everything is always a pain with me. Anyway, he's a real personable, nice guy. Spoke on the phone for an hour about games once, lol. That mod is hella better than the 12V fan mod (omg sounded like a jet taking off then a super loud sound continuously [just google on youtube]). He set it to where it's perfect noise to performance ratio. I throughly clean my PS3 with some Orange Rind thing. What a cosmetic beauty it is! A steal as I got this for $200 with like 2 controllers and 8 games, albeit older games. He had a copy of BC2. Good man. My Ps3 runs like a champ though. Couldn't be happier. :D His name is Greg. K, I wrote too much :p My review of his work is on his site as Andrew M. btw.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #9,578 of 48,579
Quote:

Yeah, possibly! It seems everything I get is rare, lol. I own a Soundblaster Extigy, Psyko Carbon (which I'm returning now in favor of virtualized with the Q701's), and a 60GB PS3 (hardware ps2 version/4usb ports) that never had the warranty seal broken (which I sent to http://www.fixmypcdoctor.com/product.php?productid=17&cat=4&page=1) for preventative measure. Mine is totally custom. The HDMI port was not working when I bought it, so this guy set up a clean looking HDMI female cord running right out of the back about 6inches. It keeps strain off the port and is surprisingly clean looking. It's pin for pin identical to the original HDMI port, which now has black tape over it (it's very seamless, almost like it's missing an HDMI port, lol).

Installation service includes:
  1. PS3 ezChill Fan Mod Kit
  2. Professional Handling and Installation Into Your PS3
  3. Complete System Cleaning and Dust Removal
  4. Re-Application of Highest Quality Arctic CPU/GPU Heatsink Thermal Compound
  5. Custom Thermal Adjustment For Maximum Cooling Efficiency
  6. Complete System Inspection and Testing Before Returning to Customer

I don't get any compensation for this, but I'm just mentioning this whole thing because this is the only guy that installs a custom, tuneable, fan mod on the PS3, well, maybe there are others, but he offers warranty afterwords (I think I had 6?, but he has some refurb ps3's with all this modding done to it with a 1yr warranty) and all I had to do was ship it to him. Thing is, the stock PS3 fan just is a bad implementation. Basically, if you have a PS3, it's going to fail. It's designed that way. Read here: http://killerbug.net/PS3FanTechInfo.html << So, that's why you need to get this, lol. It's not gonna last indefinitely, but it will for sure extend the life a great deal, especially if it's never had any problems like mine (I got soooo lucky). Funny, because, everything is always a pain with me. Anyway, he's a real personable, nice guy. Spoke on the phone for an hour about games once, lol. That mod is hella better than the 12V fan mod (omg sounded like a jet taking off then a super loud sound continuously [just google on youtube]). He set it to where it's perfect noise to performance ratio. I throughly clean my PS3 with some Orange Rind thing. What a cosmetic beauty it is! A steal as I got this for $200 with like 2 controllers and 8 games, albeit older games. He had a copy of BC2. Good man. My Ps3 runs like a champ though. Couldn't be happier. :D His name is Greg. K, I wrote too much :p

... all for your PS3... so many Ps3 Games are... no you know what... AWESOME DUDE! I'm happy to hear you PIMPED out your ps3... cuz I know 100 guys with SICK pcs but only like ONE dude with a modded ps3 xD

Also...any one wanna trade some cans :D I'd love to hear the Creative Aural Live [I think it's called that] :D

More importantly I might be selling my zune! Gonna replce it with a 32gb SD card for the hifiman hm 601 I have. the hifiman has better bass... so might as well sell le zune! 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #9,579 of 48,579
I wish I had one widget to:

Optical / RCA in, Digital EQ, Dolby on/off DAC, pre-amp,  Headphone amp capable of driving 600 ohm cans, Voice mix, Freq. response of 10Hz - 28,000Hz (ish).

I even thought it might be cool to have a modular system that inter-connected. I dunno I can wish in one hand right? LOL

The only game in town is the Mix-amp.

And it really is a great little box. It is fantastic for it's market and price point. I just wish they had a more pricey model with a few more bells and whistles.  
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #9,580 of 48,579
Quote:
I wish I had one widget to:

Optical / RCA in, Digital EQ, Dolby on/off DAC, pre-amp,  Headphone amp capable of driving 600 ohm cans, Voice mix, Freq. response of 10Hz - 28,000Hz (ish).

I even thought it might be cool to have a modular system that inter-connected. I dunno I can wish in one hand right? LOL

The only game in town is the Mix-amp.

And it really is a great little box. It is fantastic for it's market and price point. I just wish they had a more pricey model with a few more bells and whistles.  
frown.gif

so how does Vitrual Surround sound work with... headphones :O {*hides in corner for fear or asking the obvious*} as... I don't have one although I do play a decent amount of PC games so... 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #9,581 of 48,579
well I have Dolby Headphone with my mixamp and CMSS with Soundblaster on m PC rig. Neither is perfect and both change the sound a bit but I almost can't stand to game without them anymore. If I am home alone I still use my headphones. It depends on the game and all that but some are awesome.

Some examples: Red Dead Redemption - I had to turn virtual surround off because the sound of horses galloping was awful. It sounded like it was in the bottom of a bucket with echo.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Holy cow awesome. wandering through crowded streets is amazing. As said before it once scared me because I thought someone was downstairs inside my house talking. I whipped off my phones and said "hello?" Then realized it was in game.

MW2 - Again was great. I can hear someone coming upstairs from down and to the left. Sometimes it is that good. Turn pause and, boom, shoot you in the face.

Star Craft 2 - Does not matter. The style of game just does not lend itself to 3-D positioning. You, the player, are playing from above. So, you get a decent left right but 3-D positioning does not really apply.

I hope that helps.
confused_face_2.gif

Or were you asking how it "works" from a technical perspective?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #9,582 of 48,579
Quote:
well I have Dolby Headphone with my mixamp and CMSS with Soundblaster on m PC rig. Neither is perfect and both change the sound a bit but I almost can't stand to game without them anymore. If I am home alone I still use my headphones. It depends on the game and all that but some are awesome.

Some examples: Red Dead Redemption - I had to turn virtual surround off because the sound of horses galloping was awful. It sounded like it was in the bottom of a bucket with echo.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Holy cow awesome. wandering through crowded streets is amazing. As said before it once scared me because I thought someone was downstairs inside my house talking. I whipped off my phones and said "hello?" Then realized it was in game.

MW2 - Again was great. I can hear someone coming upstairs from down and to the left. Sometimes it is that good. Turn pause and, boom, shoot you in the face.

Star Craft 2 - Does not matter. The style of game just does not lend itself to 3-D positioning. You, the player, are playing from above. So, you get a decent left right but 3-D positioning does not really apply.

I hope that helps.
confused_face_2.gif

nah that's cool. And yea I can imagine it would be neat with an exploration heavy game like Metroid... *droooooooooooooooools* man I want to try those with my PC and emulate me some METROID PRIME... that would be seriously cool. Still sounds like fun! Wonder how it works with Car games, I can already hear stuff coming from behind me but... hearing left and right behind would be nifty :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #9,583 of 48,579
For what it's worth I was all worried about whether it would be worth it but jumped and got an Astro Mixamp and Razer Carcharias and I was sold on day one. Virtual surround and open cans with decent sound stage is the best thing to happen to my gaming life since HD graphics. It's just candy but it's so good.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #9,584 of 48,579
I've got a Xonar STX and I feel the same way about Dolby Headphone with PC games, works great with some games, not so much with others... I imagine it depends on what engine the game's using, to an extent. You'll get all sorts of opinions tho, some people will tell you virtual surround is blasphemous and all it does is mess up the sound, others won't play anything without it, it's rather subjective I guess.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #9,585 of 48,579
Yeah I take it the game has to be properly coded to work its best. Both technologies color the sound a bit which can on some occasions be unpleasant. The majority of the time I prefer it on and sometimes it's just fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back