Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #9,556 of 48,583
Quote:
"This sucks, but it may also be a blessing. We may finally get these companies to make devices like the Mixamp to accept HDMI and convert all forms of multi channel sources to virtual surround, and not just Dolby Digital."

This would be awesome!!!!

for real man! 

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #9,557 of 48,583
Envy - This guide gets better and better every time I stop by. Truly awesome!

Anybody here game with Q701 and Mixamp? If so, do you use an additional amp?

The original E9 seems like an OK option. The newer E9K er whatever has different connections.
I want a headphone amp to beef signal power to the Q701's. I love these cans but I can tell sometimes they are a lil power starved. 

Any suggestions for amps under $300?

I wish the damn ODA would come out already.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #9,558 of 48,583
I just got my mmx 300's and am loving them! they are ALOT more detailed and accurate sounding than the 2013 a40's. I will post up more impressions as I play around with them more. The only problem is that I have the wrong y-splitter for my mixamp. I need the 2 female to 1 male, and I have the 2 male to one female. 

Will this splitter on ebay work? Or should I go straight from astro? I figure I can find a splitter for cheaper somewhere in the U.S. preferrably so im not waiting a long time to get it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3-5mm-Jack-Combo-Headphone-Microphone-Splitter-Cable-for-i-Phone-Phone-Tablet-/271115231784?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f1fba2228

or what about this one 
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Headphone-Splitter-Separate-Controls/dp/B0016CFZQ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1355163057&sr=8-7&keywords=microphone+headphone+splitter

in other words, does the microphone and headphone jack have to be specified as being different? Or is any 3.5mm female going to work both ways whether if it has an input going into it or an output going out.

let me know what you guys think

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #9,559 of 48,583
Quote:
Might wanna rethink that. The Wii U uses LPCM, not Dolby Digital, as well as it not having an optical output.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=500865
The only way(s) to get virtual surround on the Wii U is most likely through receivers with HDMI inputs that convert multi-channel PCM to virtual surround. Probably Silent Cinema, and other non-DH surround.
I wonder what Astrogaming and other headset makers are gonna do with the Wii U.
This sucks, but it may also be a blessing. We may finally get these companies to make devices like the Mixamp to accept HDMI and convert all forms of multi channel sources to virtual surround, and not just Dolby Digital.

It'll be about time if we can get some headphone surround processors with HDMI input and 5.1 LPCM decoding. So far, that leaves us with only a few options:

-old A/V receivers with Dolby Headphone support (Harmon Kardon AVR 254/354 look promising)
-Smyth Realiser A8 (Do you really have $3,000+ to spend on one of these, let alone access to a theater where you can make a recording?)

Quote:
This is a really old quote, I know, but I had a question, which I will present a bit later in this post. Yes, only your own ears will decide what sounds best to you. So, knowing that CMSS-3D, Dolby Headphone (which is actually an ERTF [which is unrealistic]), THX TruStudio, DSS2 whatever, Silent Cinema, and all the other random companies' version of virtual surround sound, is all GENERIC/AVERAGE HRTF, why the hell hasn't anyone checked out something that is CUSTOM/USER TAILORED, like uhh, MyEars!?

It works because those are all averages, albeit different averages, so some work better than others. Totally agreed. I would think the best setup would be (since this is a console thread) a PC card that supports HDMI in and Out (only Auzentech that I know of) coupled with MyEars, to a high end receiver (Yamaha Aventage line), then obviously out to an OLED monitor (when it's available) or an IPS LED LCD for now, with Audiophile grade headphones plugged into the receiver. Who's with me? I've been doing hella research to find this out, but this seems to be the answer.

Very good question there. I recall Sensaura Virtual Ear allowing for some adjustments (it was featured on a few Crystal Semiconductor-based sound cards and some Analog Devices SoundMAX integrated audio codecs 'til Creative bought them out and likely used the tech to help develop CMSS-3D Headphone), but so far, you can't really get anything personalized without shelling out the big bucks for a Smyth Realiser.

I did see an article posted here some time ago about constructing a personalized HRTF simply by taking three photos of the user's head-one from the front, and one for each side. If someone were to implement that in a commercial surround processor, it could allow for personalized 3D audio, seeing as it's not constrained to simulating a surround system like the Realiser, and hopefully at a much more affordable price since all you'd need is a camera.

Quote:
AUREAL MONSTER VORTEX 2 Sound Card PCI w/driver CD BA88DL30A-03 (New condition) - Somebody tell NamelessPFG I just picked this up :p I only got it due to some of his posts. Hard to find as well, quite rare. I did an Ebay, Amazon, All of Craigslist, and Google shopping search. This seemed to be the best option as it was the most recent card. I'll keep this handy for when I build my Windows 9x machine :D I'll need help getting the rest of the parts (not building it as I will have someone do that for me) as I do not know much about computers.

Nice. The neat thing about most Aureal Vortex chipset cards is that unless you're looking for something really rare like the Aureal SQ3500 Turbo (a not-quite-made-it-to-market variant of the SQ2500 paired with a DSP daughterboard), you can generally find them dirt cheap if you're not too picky beyond "must have an AU8830 chip on it".

They also have some pretty good Sound Blaster Pro emulation for DOS games. (Just don't use it in conjunction with the Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack; for some reason, installing that and leaving the SB Pro emulation enabled results in a BSoD. Said pack also gives me a few issues with some other games, so I don't bother.)

While you're planning this Win98SE build (don't see any reason to use Win95 or WinME in its place), you might want to do some research over at VOGONS, since it's a forum full of people who build retrogaming rigs.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #9,560 of 48,583
Quote:
Anybody here game with Q701 and Mixamp? If so, do you use an additional amp?

The original E9 seems like an OK option. The newer E9K er whatever has different connections.
I want a headphone amp to beef signal power to the Q701's. I love these cans but I can tell sometimes they are a lil power starved. 

Any suggestions for amps under $300?

I wish the damn ODA would come out already.

I do, and I use the M-stage.  I actually get enough volume from the mixamp alone, but the M-stage seems to improve the soundstage a little.  I tried the E9 too, but it didn't seem to improve anything.

I'm not sure I'd recommend getting a $250 amp just for the purpose of double amping, but If you use it for music too, then it's more justifiable.

The ODA is the only other amp that I'm curious to try, so I wish it would come out too. 
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #9,561 of 48,583
I find the mixamp does provide enough volume when turned up to about 75% which is fine. As you and others warned me though if I turn up the mic volume for chat it falls off a cliff. All this is fine though as I still use my Razer Charcharias (er something) for "headset" gaming which I now rarely do anyway.

I think I will replace the Razer's with PC 360 at some point.  On the fence with this though because I was not thrilled with the sound of the HD 558's I tried out. I digress.

Trouble is when I plug into the headphone jack on my PC speakers I have to turn the volume knob alarmingly close to full. Full out is just a bad place for any amplifier. 

All I know is that I love my Q701's. Sound, comfort, quality build, I just love em'. I feel like they need something with a lil more chutzpah to be their best.

Come on ODA!!!!

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #9,562 of 48,583
Quote:
I find the mixamp does provide enough volume when turned up to about 75% which is fine. As you and others warned me though if I turn up the mic volume for chat it falls off a cliff. All this is fine though as I still use my Razer Charcharias (er something) for "headset" gaming which I now rarely do anyway.

How are the Razer Charcharias compared to other stuff?  I've read they are better than some of the other headsets...

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #9,563 of 48,583
With a grain of salt here. For a headset the Razer's are quite good. Figure in the price and I was very pleased. I listened to my friends Triton's (which have since fallen apart) and they sounded like crap. TBH the Razer's sound kind of bloated compared to my Q701's which should not be much of a surprise. Overall they do gaming and music well. Where they really shined for me was sound stage.

I agonized over what headset to get for months and read a thousand headset reviews before choosing the Razer's. It was my first use of Dolby Headphone with an open can but I spent weeks whipping them off of my head to check if the sound was also coming out of my speakers. Once on AC2 on a crowded street I got startled when I thought someone was in my house but it turned out to be a passerby on the street in the game. Oh, and they are oh so comfy. 

In short, the Razer's with Dolby Headphone was shockingly good for a headphone noob like me and is the reason I got the Q701's because I want to see how good it can get.

I am sure they would fail to please many an audiophile but if anyone wants a relatively cheap "headset" I would recommend them easily.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #9,564 of 48,583
@Chicolom

ooooOOOOoooo. I see you have the PC 360. I so want to try those. I have almost bought them but for $250 I am worried.

There was just something about the HD 558's that I did not like. They sounded very good but I did not feel like the $180 was justified. I have not tried even a 1/4 of the stuff most of the head-fi community has so I always say take my opinions lightly.

However, if you asked me what I though I would say it sounded like everything was well separated and balanced and pretty good but like there was a blanket hung between me and all that sound. I dunno what to call it but It was not for me. I am much happier with my Q701's.

Still I wouldn't doubt anyone who said you would be hard pressed to find a better "headset" then the PC 360's. Which is what nearly everyone tells me.   

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #9,565 of 48,583
Quote:
@Chicolom

ooooOOOOoooo. I see you have the PC 360. I so want to try those. I have almost bought them but for $250 I am worried.

There was just something about the HD 558's that I did not like. They sounded very good but I did not feel like the $180 was justified. I have not tried even a 1/4 of the stuff most of the head-fi community has so I always say take my opinions lightly.

However, if you asked me what I though I would say it sounded like everything was well separated and balanced and pretty good but like there was a blanket hung between me and all that sound. I dunno what to call it but It was not for me. I am much happier with my Q701's.

Still I wouldn't doubt anyone who said you would be hard pressed to find a better "headset" then the PC 360's. Which is what nearly everyone tells me.   

Removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558 might make them sound better to you (like more open).

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #9,567 of 48,583
Quote:
@Chicolom

I had the PC360.  There is a lot I like about the PC360.  It has an excellent soundstage, good detail, and a pretty balanced sound.  It's the best headset I've heard.  

The Q701 is more fun/immersive though.  It has a thicker warmer sound, and stronger bass. 

If you already prefer the Q701 to the HD558, I probably wouldn't bother with looking at the PC360 (I'm going to assume that the HD558 and PC360 sound at least fairly similar).

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #9,568 of 48,583
FYI, right now Amazon has a "Like New" PC360 for ~$139, which is definitely the lowest I've ever seen them. 

That's a great deal on a really nice headset.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #9,569 of 48,583
Quote:

I had the PC360.  There is a lot I like about the PC360.  It has an excellent soundstage, good detail, and a pretty balanced sound.  It's the best headset I've heard.  

The Q701 is more fun/immersive though.  It has a thicker warmer sound, and stronger bass. 

If you already prefer the Q701 to the HD558, I probably wouldn't bother with looking at the PC360 (I'm going to assume that the HD558 and PC360 sound at least fairly similar).

I guess I need to keep looking for a good deal on an M-stage. Maybe if I mention the ODA a thousand times that guy will finally release the thing. jk. last time I bring it up. 

Sometimes I swear man.... I work at an electronics manufacturer in R&D. I should make my own damn amp. I know my boss (the pres.) would let me prototype some stuff here. Just sayin'  

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #9,570 of 48,583
Anyone remember if anyone has posted using the akg k272 hd's with dolby?  I called up a speaker shop today to schedule an appointment to listen to some speakers and we started talking about headphones.  The owner deals high end speakers and was swearing by these for regular music mixed with a dragonfly dac.  He said they were seriously easy to drive and no need for an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back