Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #8,011 of 48,579
I've read about less bass, but most reviews I read underlined that there wasn't much difference between the two. Maybe PurpleAngel can bring some light on this if he's around? :)

A comment on that review point out that the frequency response is of the DT770 Consumer, not Pro. From what I've read, the 80 and 250 models are different by a bit more than just ohm difference, their build is a little bit altered too, bringing those differences in sound.

Ah, interesting. I didn't even know Beyerdynamic even had a line called "consumer"

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #8,013 of 48,579
Ah, just found a message from PurpleAngel saying that at most there isn't much difference between the two versions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612345/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-for-classical-music

Since it's one of the only reliable comments from someone who owns both, I'll keep with that :)

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #8,014 of 48,579
I really wish someone would test the AKG K550 with Dolby Headphone in some games and movies. Because everything else about them is perfect for my needs (closed with good isolation, good sound for price, good built quality and materials, comfortable -or so they say- and light, no need for powerful amp). I've read some user impressions and they say it has a good soundstage, but no one really tested them in games or movies, with virtual surround. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #8,015 of 48,579
Just picked up a pair of Tony Bennet Signature Edition Koss Headphones, which is a tricked out version of the Koss Pro DJ 100, for $57 with shipping. They are still on sale if anyone feels the need to burn some cash. I'm excited to try these out with my DH setups. I just wish I had the money to pick up the M50 pads that Tdockweiler recommends for them. I also have to figure out if I need an amp in addition to my DH hardware to power these. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #8,016 of 48,579
Dead Ghost,
While I haven't heard them, the AKG K550 does seem to check the right boxes for good-with-DH. Detail, soundstage, bass that while "fuller" is also described as textured and rivaling the Denon D2000 and not overpowering. If Best Buy or Amazon offers a liberal return policy, you could be the one to test them out and give them a go at gaming with little risk :)

Fa11ou7,
Interesting, please post impressions when you have them set up :) if you like them, you can always add pads or an amp upgrade once you can afford them. As a general rule of thumb, don't expect adding an amp to make such a large change as to sound like a different headphone, unless the headphone really needs the juice to play at all, like a Stax (costing considerably more than $57). I may eat my words once my custom tube amp arrives, but even with the challenging-to-amp Q701, I still appreciate it for what it is, and detect improvement over my other headphones on the same audio hardware.

Ah, just found a message from PurpleAngel saying that at most there isn't much difference between the two versions: "beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-for-classical-music"

Since it's one of the only reliable comments from someone who owns both, I'll keep with that :)

Ah.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #8,017 of 48,579
Quote:
Fa11ou7,
Interesting, please post impressions when you have them set up
smily_headphones1.gif
if you like them, you can always add pads or an amp upgrade once you can afford them. As a general rule of thumb, don't expect adding an amp to make such a large change as to sound like a different headphone, unless the headphone really needs the juice to play at all, like a Stax (costing considerably more than $57). I may eat my words once my custom tube amp arrives, but even with the challenging-to-amp Q701, I still appreciate it for what it is, and detect improvement over my other headphones on the same audio hardware.

Thanks Evshrug, your post is encouraging, after reading a little more about the headphones from tdockweiler (see quote below) I was starting to worry that maybe I wasn't geared enough to sufficiently power the Koss TBSE. For the price that I paid for them I really don't think I would have much to regret even if they weren't powered enough. Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me pick up the Headroom Total Airhead amp that tdockweiler talks so much about, which is also at ~$50 
atsmile.gif
 (link)

Gaming:
Xbox 360 (RCA) > RCA to Mini > Fiio E9 (Wow! Note: large jack ONLY!!!)
Compared to the E11 from Xbox 360 I noticed more foward and fuller mids, clearer sound, more detail and better bass. Biggest difference was soundstage size increase.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #8,018 of 48,579
I'd go with the DT770 pro 80 if you like bass and can't afford the Pro 900. Best positioning I've heard on ANY headphone. It's a really immersive headphone.

DT770 pro 80s have good bass and positioning? Did not know... I was thinking of some for dubstep and to use when my wife watches here comes Honey Booboo....

Also I really really really want to try those K550 if anyone knows any stores that sell them. E.G. major stores, best buy, etc.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #8,021 of 48,579
Then why did you say you didn't know? Lol.

Also... I wouldn't call it GOOD bass. Just really overemphasized. The bass bleeds into the mids quite a bit, muddying up details. The DT990 Pro is in the same price range and much better at keeping details.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #8,022 of 48,579
Didn't realize you updated again...  lol Sure looks nicer and that super gaming headphone section was a nice read. I like the fact it has that theatre feel. I think I might buy some Pro 700MKII for dubstep and try them for gaming for lolz. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #8,023 of 48,579
What do you mean? The DT770 Pro 80 have been on my list since I created it, lol.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #8,024 of 48,579
Ok, well I got a pair of PC360's in, and I couldn't wait to try them out with a mixamp, so I went and purchased a Astro A40 set. This is the MixAmp I recieved.

astro%20front.jpg

astro%20bottom.jpg

astro%20top.jpg

The biggest bummer is the use of mini toslink cable instead of standard imo. Also, they got rid of the coaxial input. I have no idea what the STREAM jack is for yet (I assume it is taking the place of the L and R RCA inputs. Still recovering from my wisdom teeth and feel like ****.

-Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back