Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Tony Bennett Signature Edition Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tony Bennett Signature Edition Headphones

post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 

I saw this today and I don't if I should laugh or cry. You see that headphone? It's my favorite DJ100 (or looks like it). I sure hope it's a much improved version or just an early photograph. Seeing this kind of weirded me out. It's a very good headphone, but I don't know what to think at this point. I will say that this "kind of" makes sense because the DJ100 is so good for vocals. The DJ100 does deserve more attention I think. Maybe they did improve it a bit or added better pads. I sure hope so! Maybe Koss will shock me and include memory foam pads or something.

 

http://www.koss.com/duets

 

TonyBennett.jpg

post #2 of 89

The DJ100 on his head looks photoshop'd

 

I got a goo laugh out of that.

post #3 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

The DJ100 on his head looks photoshop'd

 


True that. If you look closer at the headband you can see something unusual. confused.gif

post #4 of 89

Hah!

 

610_bennett_intro.jpg

 

 

Let it be known, however, that my avatar is NOT a photoshop, and is a depiction of actual events.

post #5 of 89

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio View Post

 

Let it be known, however, that my avatar is NOT a photoshop, and is a depiction of actual events.


Well, actually your avatar looks more "Natural" when comparing to the Op's photo. wink.gif

 

post #6 of 89

I really liked the DJ100's when I had them, but they aren't my first choice for vocals.

 

The midrange was definitely there and upfront, but the whole sound signature seemed a little laid back and under a slight veil. I will admit, when I first listened to them, I wasn't too impressed. But after getting tired of the K601 and Q701's treble, I went back and tried again. This time, I gave them a chance. Wow, it seems like my patience paid off! These are really quite fun headphones! I wouldn't call them monitors by any means, or an audiophile's dream, but they offer something much more unique than that. Probably the biggest reason I like them so much.

 

Bass is plentiful and really shows itself when needs be, yet doesn't overpower otherwise. Most likely due to it's closed nature, there is slight reverb that most likely contributes to the slight veil I mentioned. It really just adds a level of darkness and unique flavor. Midrange is very close and upfront, I will admit, but doesn't shine through as good as naturally brighter headphones do. Still, vocals are quite good for headphone of this price. And of course the treble, which is definitely there, yet the whole signature is still dark. Nothing is fatiguing, well, except possibly the comfort with stock pads.

 

You know, I wouldn't buy these as my only headphone. Yet, my collection seems incomplete without them. At their price point, they are fantastic. It almost feels like I'm being a bit harsh to them, as I always seem to get in the mode of comparing to much higher models. But, even then these held their own. Besting the D2000 sonically and the Q701 for preference, I'd say these are worth much more than they are.

 

Seeing this possible new and tweaked model has me intrigued. Color me interested.

post #7 of 89

I've had the DJ100 for a while now and with the standard pads .. they do sound veiled. But with M50 pads on them, they open right up and it's very clear and much more comfortable.

They're my go to phones for a relaxlng listen for long periods of time .. a headphone that you forget it's on your head and just enjoy the music. It's more laid back and doesn't fatique.

 

however when you compare it A-B ing between something like my Shure 940, there just seems to be something musically missing ... I can't put my finger on it but it's like some of the details are just not there or a range is just not there.

 

but I still enjoy them and it's the only 2 headphones I've kept. Both are great at vocals just different enough to keep both of them.

post #8 of 89
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I finally got some M50 pads for them. They were out of stock everywhere for nearly a month. Improves the DJ100 in almost every way and they even gave me the impression of a better soundstage and more treble. Love these pads on them and prefer them to stock, M30, V6 and RX300 pads.

 

You know, have you ever considered a DJ100 vs SRH-940 comparison/review? I seriously bet the DJ100 could hold up very well in some areas. You won't hurt my feelings if the 940 gives my poor DJ100 a beatdown biggrin.gif Actually I hope it does, so I'll be convinced to buy a pair.

 

I tested the DJ100 with stock pads and M50 pads for gaming..couldn't believe the difference really. DJ100 with M50 pads in Uncharted 2 is really something else..
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey99 View Post

I've had the DJ100 for a while now and with the standard pads .. they do sound veiled. But with M50 pads on them, they open right up and it's very clear and much more comfortable.

They're my go to phones for a relaxlng listen for long periods of time .. a headphone that you forget it's on your head and just enjoy the music. It's more laid back and doesn't fatique.

 

however when you compare it A-B ing between something like my Shure 940, there just seems to be something musically missing ... I can't put my finger on it but it's like some of the details are just not there or a range is just not there.

 

but I still enjoy them and it's the only 2 headphones I've kept. Both are great at vocals just different enough to keep both of them.



 

post #9 of 89

hey man, the DJ100's are actuly really good. It's all about the mids, the bass seemed like an after thought and the highs were nicely rolled off.

post #10 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post

hey man, the DJ100's are actuly really good. It's all about the mids, the bass seemed like an after thought and the highs were nicely rolled off.


Man, I LOVE the bass on my DJ100. Just about perfect for me. Just saying...

Just enough for me without screwing up my mids. For good bass on these, they need pad upgrades and a decent amp I think.

I still need to test them more without an amp. Never did that a ton, just enough to know that I didn't like it!

 

 

 

post #11 of 89

Just a reminder that this thread also involves Mr. Tony Bennett, one of history's leading tenor crooners. Don't know him? Check out the 1965 Songs for the Jet Set, a stereo marvel.

post #12 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio View Post

Hah!

 

610_bennett_intro.jpg

 

 

Let it be known, however, that my avatar is NOT a photoshop, and is a depiction of actual events.


Ha!  Well my avatar is a Photoshop job.  biggrin.gif

 

post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR30 View Post

Just a reminder that this thread also involves Mr. Tony Bennett, one of history's leading tenor crooners. Don't know him? Check out the 1965 Songs for the Jet Set, a stereo marvel.



It's kind of ironic that they called the headphones the "duets" - which has been the title of his last few albums that he's done with other artists.  I guess that's better than calling them the "solos".

post #14 of 89

Quincy Jones, Miles Davis and now Tony Bennett. These companies need to stop trying to dressing-up old products and develope something new. Old stuff decorated with chartreuse trim or a signature on the ear cup says to me a few marketing guys need to be taken out behind the barn. OK, I feel better now, I just needed to verbalize that.

post #15 of 89

when you put a "well known" face to a product people will buy it, because people are stupid and buy into things like this thinking that these people use these products. Over ever I could see Quincy Jones and Tony Bennett using their products hahaha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Tony Bennett Signature Edition Headphones