Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5,491 of 48,578
Quote:
Hahaha, triple negative. That's how excited I was when I heard of them. XD
You all know what I meant.
tongue.gif

I must have those.

lol yeah.  

i regret putting my mod mic on where i did. it makes it kinda awkward. i put it right in front of where the cable goes into the bottom of the cup.

May 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,492 of 48,578
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q71TaPCmdtU[/VIDEO]

So Steggy FINALLY got around to reviewing the PC360. Even did comparisons to the A40s. Verdict: His favorite headset ever.

:D

May 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5,493 of 48,578
Orders have been placed.

1- Modmic
2- AKG Q701
3- Mixamp Pro

It takes about 5 days to get stuff here (Costa Rica) after it arrives to the postal office (in Florida).  I'm getting the modmic probably tomorrow, the Q701s in 3 days, and I just ordered the mixamp, so it will take a little over a week.

Can't wait.....

L3000.gif

May 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #5,494 of 48,578
Quote:
Orders have been placed.

1- Modmic
2- AKG Q701
3- Mixamp Pro

It takes about 5 days to get stuff here (Costa Rica) after it arrives to the postal office (in Florida).  I'm getting the modmic probably tomorrow, the Q701s in 3 days, and I just ordered the mixamp, so it will take a little over a week.

Can't wait.....

L3000.gif

Me too. (just ordered yesterday)

1 - AKG Q701
2 - Xonar Essence STX

Should be pretty screwing sweet. I think I'll get the modmic eventually.

May 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #5,495 of 48,578
Awesome thread Mad Lust! was really helpfull in narrowing down my choices. Im now trying to decide between these two
Quote:

DT990 Pro
These are just different enough from the Premiums that I felt needed their own rating. Most of what I've said about the Premium DT990 holds true about the DT990 Pro. However, there is a big difference, and that's in it's mid bass. The kind of bass that attacks your senses directly. The Premium DT990 isn't particularly strong in that department, instead doing the lower bowels of bass some great justice for an open can. The DT990 Pro however has some pretty strong emphasis in all areas of bass. The mid bass hits DAMN hard. It was actually a bit too much for me, as I'm quite sensitive to strong mid bass, as I felt like a jack hammer was hitting me directly in the ears. If bassheads were disappointed in the Premium DT990's bass, they need not look further than the DT990 pro, which is a different beast in that category. But that's the biggest difference. The Premium DT990 and DT990 Pro sound very much the identical to one another otherwise, though the stronger midbass actually helped smooth out the treble a bit, so I felt the treble to be considerably easier on the ears. In this case, it trades off treble discomfort for bass discomfort. Still, I'm a special case, so I'm sure most bassheads would welcome the DT990 Pro with open ears. As for virtual surround placement, these are almost as good as the DT770 Pro 80. They do an amazing job, even more so than the Premium DT990's in this regard. That's why I have to rate them very high on the fun list. They are incredibly immersive. If you can handle aggressive mid bass (not bloated or smothering, but just...very strong), the DT990 Pro is one of the best values in headphones. I just wish I wasn't so sensitive to the particular range of bass that it's so good in.
Fun: 9/10
Competitive: 7/10 (the bass while not exactly obtrusive like closed headphones with such a strong emphasis, it is still quite emphasized, so it may distract you)

HD598
You all know it as an improved HD595, which is a consistent fave among gamers, especially those who use virtual surround amps like the Mixamp. My opinion? The hype is well justified, at least when it comes to the HD598. They are incredibly well balanced. Somewhat bass neutral, mid rich, and energetic treble (never harsh) translates to a very promising headphone for gaming on paper. And I'm happy to report that they are ABSOLUTELY phenomenal for gaming. They belong right up there with the AD700 and K701 when it comes to my very faves hardcore gaming headphones. Soundstage? Check. Positional accuracy? Double check. Detail retrieval? Triple check. The trifecta. It's missing nothing for those needs. The bass may be a bit too laid back for those wanting some immersion in their non-competitive gaming however.
I have to note, these are not a typical Sennheiser. It is not warm or smooth. It's bright and energetic. All for the better, IMHO.
Fun: 6/10
Competitive: 9.5/10

In terms of aesthetics i much prefer the HD598s to the DT990 Pro. (like by a lot). But ultimately what will decide it for me is the quality. Going by your review both of these headphones are an excellent choice, but i just dont know which one to go with. I'll be in it more for the fun factor than the competitive edge, so it seems like the DT990's are the right choice, but how much of a difference is there between the 6/10 and 9/10 score for fun (keeping in mind this is my first audiophile set). I want to immerse myself in the sound (i imagine explosions going off as if im right there in the game and bullets whizzing past). Reason i ask is if the difference isnt that great (ie. a sound noob wont be able to differentiate), then i will choose the HD598s (i honestly really dont like the look of the DT990s). But obviously the look wont matter if the 598's leave me bored and missing something while all hell is breaking loose.

Oh and what difference is there between the 50Ohms impedance that the 598's generate as a pose to the 250Ohms of the 990s?

note: i will be using them only on PC coupled with a Asus Xonar STX

May 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,496 of 48,578
Sony has come out with some new open headphones.  Sony said the new flagship model, MDR MA900, is based on the their old MDR-F1. 

It's got 70mm drivers!

Here's an engrish interview where they talk about it and the MDR-F1.  Not a lot of useful information, but still interesting.

May 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #5,497 of 48,578
Those pads... interesting. Not sure it can stack up to velours, but I'm sure they're infinitely better than leather/pleather.

That is one seriously open looking headphone.

They look cheap looking, as well. Not really feeling the design, a bit too utilitarian for me, almost 80's style. They look like they'll be priced at around $200 MSRP, though knowing Sony, I wouldn't put it past them to cost double that.

The cables look thin too. They should honestly use their flat style cables more. I LOVED the flat cables on the XBs.

May 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #5,498 of 48,578
Ya, it's like Sony was trying to make them as skinny as possible.

May 23, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #5,499 of 48,578
Quote:
Those pads... interesting. Not sure it can stack up to velours, but I'm sure they're infinitely better than leather/pleather.
That is one seriously open looking headphone.
They look cheap looking, as well. Not really feeling the design, a bit too utilitarian for me, almost 80's style. They look like they'll be priced at around $200 MSRP, though knowing Sony, I wouldn't put it past them to cost double that.
The cables look thin too. They should honestly use their flat style cables more. I LOVED the flat cables on the XBs.

That material should handle sweating very well, a very breathable material, that is if it's the type of material I think it is.  Should be very cool.  

And by the way, to my knowledge no artificial leather matches the porosity of leather.  

70mm drivers has me concerned about driver rebound in the lower frequencies and the general level of detail these will be able to put out.  

May 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #5,500 of 48,578
Hmm 70mm drivers. Makes me wonder if it's repurposing the XB1000 drivers. Everyone should know by know that drivers are only one part of the sound equation, so I wouldn't put it past Sony. The fully open design is enough to completely alter the sound signature though.

May 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #5,501 of 48,578
There are some numbers here.

The big driver is just to get normal bass levels in spite of the very open design that lets all the bass leak out.

May 23, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #5,502 of 48,578
Just got my Q701's in the mail, much earlier than expected. So for now I have to use them out of my iPod Nano 3G or iMac 27 inch (with Cirrus Logic CS4206A sound chip). I know they are underamped, I can hear it in the sound. However, if I just want to burn them in with random music, will this be okay? That is, is underamping bad for headphones? Or will they just not sound good?

May 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #5,503 of 48,578
Underamping is not bad for headphones at all. They're just not getting enough power for their potential, is all.

May 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #5,504 of 48,578
Enjoyed the information in the thread. I ended up upgrading my Ultrasone HFI-650 DVD headphones to the DT990 Pro to use with my mixamp. I was able to pick them up for around $150.00 and it seemed the best bang for my buck. I am curious if it would be worth picking up another pair for competitive gaming in the future or is the sound positioning more then up to the task.  If I do get a second pair in the future I would like to limit the purchase to around $100. Is the AD700 the only game in town for that price or is there another contender for that price range. 

May 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5,505 of 48,578
HD555 can be found near that price too. Mod it, and it will come close to sounding almost like the HD595, if not the same. The PC360 is based off the 595, so the 555 seems like a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back