Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 3, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #5,341 of 48,562
Quote:
thought about it. but the mesh-like material over the semi open cups... look kinda sensitive. lol

You could do it like this > http://www.head-fi.org/t/607014/modmic-on-my-dt880

May 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #5,342 of 48,562
May 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #5,344 of 48,562
For most headphones (but to put up an example, say the Q701) what happens when you cover up those tiny holes?  The sound becomes a tiny bit muffled?  I was wondering what would happen when the LVA 7330 covers a portion of those holes, when I tape it on the Q701.  Probably too insignificant to matter or notice huh?

May 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #5,345 of 48,562
Quote:
For most headphones (but to put up an example, say the Q701) what happens when you cover up those holes?

Probably too insignificant to matter or notice huh?

This.

May 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,347 of 48,562
Anyone have any input?

Tried the ATH-AD900. Thought clarity, separation sound stage was great, but sometimes highs were piercing, bass lacking any real depth but punchy yes. Uncomfortable as hell. took em' back

Then tried the HD 558. Less clarity but also less harsh highs smaller sound stage, bass is an improvement in depth. Overall I like the sound better than the AT's and they are more comfortable though the clamping complaint for me is minor but it's there.  Just not feeling WOW about it like I did the clarity and sound stage of the AD900. It's a trade off I could live with but....

I use the above terms loosely not having heard that many different phones.  These are the only phones over $100 I have ever heard and I feel like I still need to zero in on what I like. Looking for $250 or less cans that make good all rounder movie, music, games. mostly gaming for fun some competitive but competitive is in the back seat over fun. I say all rounder but they will be used every day for gaming and what I have found is that open backed with Dolby Headphone rocks my socks off and i am on the quest for gaming Nirvana.

Got the AD900 from Amazon took em' back - bought HD558 from Best Buy taking them back - hahaha maybe they won't catch on if I keep changing stores.

Thinking about Q 701's. Has anyone used these with only the Mixamp?? Impressions?? Anyone out there able to make a comparison to either the AD900 or HD 558 that can help me understand about what to expect from Q 701???

May 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #5,348 of 48,562
Quote:
Anyone have any input?

Tried the ATH-AD900. Thought clarity, separation sound stage was great, but sometimes highs were piercing, bass lacking any real depth but punchy yes. Uncomfortable as hell. took em' back

Then tried the HD 558. Less clarity but also less harsh highs smaller sound stage, bass is an improvement in depth. Overall I like the sound better than the AT's and they are more comfortable though the clamping complaint for me is minor but it's there.  Just not feeling WOW about it like I did the clarity and sound stage of the AD900. It's a trade off I could live with but....

I use the above terms loosely not having heard that many different phones.  These are the only phones over $100 I have ever heard and I feel like I still need to zero in on what I like. Looking for $250 or less cans that make good all rounder movie, music, games. mostly gaming for fun some competitive but competitive is in the back seat over fun. I say all rounder but they will be used every day for gaming and what I have found is that open backed with Dolby Headphone rocks my socks off and i am on the quest for gaming Nirvana.

Got the AD900 from Amazon took em' back - bought HD558 from Best Buy taking them back - hahaha maybe they won't catch on if I keep changing stores.

Thinking about Q 701's. Has anyone used these with only the Mixamp?? Impressions?? Anyone out there able to make a comparison to either the AD900 or HD 558 that can help me understand about what to expect from Q 701???

I've used Q701s with just the mixamp.  It's fine.  Once I tried my M-stage for fun and found out it improved the soundstage I hooked that up as well.

Haven't heard the HD558s, but I've used the AD900s and PC360s.

See my posts here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-12-2012-akg-q701-added/2460#post_7950074
and here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/75#post_8001311

May 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,349 of 48,562
Quote:

I've used Q701s with just the mixamp.  It's fine.  Once I tried my M-stage for fun and found out it improved the soundstage I hooked that up as well.

See my posts here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-12-2012-akg-q701-added/2460#post_7950074
and here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/75#post_8001311

Thanks

May 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #5,350 of 48,562
I'm having a hard time picking between the HD558 and AD700. Directional audio is something I strive for, but at the same time, I want the games I play to give me a "wow!" feeling. I don't have Dolby Headphone, but I do have an X-Fi card using its own proprietary HRTF processor called CMSS. Listening to music is not something I do occasionally. As a matter of fact, the music in the games is what I mainly listen to.

May 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #5,351 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm having a hard time picking between the HD558 and AD700. Directional audio is something I strive for, but at the same time, I want the games I play to give me a "wow!" feeling. I don't have Dolby Headphone, but I do have an X-Fi card using its own proprietary HRTF processor called CMSS. Listening to music is not something I do occasionally. As a matter of fact, the music in the games is what I mainly listen to.

If that "wow!" feeling requires some bass impact, then you won't like the AD700. On the other hand, it has plenty of "wow!" in the "holy crap, this is like having an aural wallhack!" sense when paired with CMSS-3D Headphone.

Can't comment on the HD558; it's a headphone I haven't tried.

May 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #5,352 of 48,562
Quote:

You could do it like this > http://www.head-fi.org/t/607014/modmic-on-my-dt880

hey sorry i missed this post completely.  i was actually thinking the same thing last night debating whether i should order the pc360 or not.  now that i see its possible. that helps a lot! thank you.  

i notice a lot of the pc gamers use internal sound cards.. i guess because of the added effects? wonder how much of an advantage it is over just an normal external dac like the Bifrost.

May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5,353 of 48,562
Quote:

WOW Chicolom! You have a lot of equipment listed there. Given all your experience, what would you say your go to cans and setup are for gaming???

P.S. When you say Q701 with mixamp is "fine" do you mean that in a underwhelmed way or that you liked it pretty well??

May 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5,354 of 48,562
Quote:
WOW Chicolom! You have a lot of equipment listed there. Given all your experience, what would you say your go to cans and setup are for gaming???

P.S. When you say Q701 with mixamp is "fine" do you mean that in a underwhelmed way or that you liked it pretty well??

Yes, I've tried a bunch 
cool.gif
My favorite is the Q701.
k701smile.gif

They have a good balance between fun and competitive traits, with enough bass and punch to be fun and immersive while having a large soundstage with good positioning as well.

My setup is: Xbox >  Mixamp > M-stage > Q701 + modmic.

You pulled "underwhelmed" from the word fine?
tongue_smile.gif

The mixamp is satisfactory with the Q701s.  I get enough volume from it.  It's obviously not a desktop amp, which is what the Q701s like best, but if you want Dolby Headphone on consoles there aren't a lot of options. 

May 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #5,355 of 48,562
I bought the mixamp a long time ago after reading this thread and a few other positive posts and I have to say--I thought it sounded terrible.

My general impression was that it added a thick layer of reverb/echo effect to everything. In Fallout 3, for instance, when I would rechamber a round in my rifle outside, it sounded like I was inside a small concrete box.

I am in no way a fan of Creative, but when I compared DH to CMSS-3D, there was no comparison--DH heavily distorted the sound, while CMSS-3D (with EAX turned OFF) gave me a very believable sense of 360 degree immersion without the fake echo/cave effect. The only thing I did not like about it is that I felt like that it didn't have much LFE, but I didn't hear much low end from the mixamp either ...

What's the deal? Do others just not notice the echo/reverb? Did I have a "bad" mixamp?

I understand that there are different levels of DH, but from what I remember of the mixamp, you could not select different levels. Am I wrong?

Someone help me out here. What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back