Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5,326 of 48,566
Quote:
Well then, adding an amp to my Mixamp, I don't get ANY extra noise from the amps I've used. I just get the noise from the Mixamp itself. With low sensitivity headphones like the Q701, the noise is almost inaudible either way, so it's an absolute non-issue.

Like I said if you have done it and it does not create a noticeable problem than I am sure it is fine.

BUT. When we talk about electronic amplifiers we talk about LOW noise amps and not NO noise amps. A good engineer who does not go too cheap in the design can make a very low noise amp but not a no noise amp. All amps will add "noise" (not necessarily in the audio band mind you) I am talking strictly about this as a principle of electronic circuit design when I talk about signal fidelity and amplification. The trouble with chaining amps is that the "noise" added by the first stage of amplification, however low in amplitude, is then fed to the second amp which adds it's own very low level noise BUT also amplifies the noise added to the signal from the first stage of amplification.

It is all relative though. In the end it is a question of signal/noise ratio. If the total amount of added noise even after the second amp is at it's worst (signal/noise = 1000/1) then you won't even notice it but go cheap on the design of an amp (not a lot of audiophile grade stuff I am sure) and you can corrupt the hell out of a signal in a hurry.

just saying.
wink.gif

Sorry. Not trying to be all anal. It's just that....and I am first to admit.....not an audiophile....I'm not an audio engineer....I bow to all the experience of you good people...but I do work in Electronics Engineering so, for instance, when (somewhere else) a user defined Impedance using the formula for ohms law I was twisting in my seat. It's a character flaw; forgive me
frown.gif

May 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #5,327 of 48,566
As for the Mixamp driving 600ohm cans loudly, I specifically mentioned that it only does so when no voice chat is mixed in.

Maverick, What are those? Those Technicas look awesome, however, no matter what anyone says, I don't trust wing designs AT ALL.

I do wanna try that amp, though I guess it only works for those cans? It looks like it has an RCA pre-out. I wonder if it retains Dolby Headphone through it, so we could feed it to a dedicated headphone amp. Not that it matters. Seems very expensive and rare.

May 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5,328 of 48,566
Quote:
Maverick, What are those? Those Technicas look awesome, however, no matter what anyone says, I don't trust wing designs AT ALL.
I do wanna try that amp, though I guess it only works for those cans? It looks like it has an RCA pre-out. I wonder if it retains Dolby Headphone through it, so we could feed it to a dedicated headphone amp. Not that it matters. Seems very expensive and rare.

It's a Japan only (though you can import it from lots of places) wireless headphone system.  Kinda expensive though.

The headphones are wireless so the amp is in the headphones and runs on batteries.  The box just does decoding, processing, and transmitting.  I doubt the preouts have the DH processing but I don't know for sure.  That's pretty much all I know about it though.  I don't even know what the headphones were before they chopped off the cord and added a receiver and amp. AD700?  AD900?  AD1000?  Something completely different?

If it was cheaper I'd probably just grab it and totally gut the headphones, make the receiver into a standalone box, and add a cable to the headphones so they could be used on their own and sell them.

I'm having a hard time imagining an open AT with bass so I don't think it would be much good for movies or non-competitive immersion in games (what I'd want to use it for) but it's an open AT so it probably rocks with FPS.

May 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #5,329 of 48,566
They look like AD900s with the inner cover removed. AD700s look like that as well once the inner cover is removed.

Hmm, thanks for posting that one. I never knew such a thing existed.

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5,330 of 48,566
I think it's mostly an AD900/AD1000 frame but there's probably no way to tell what drivers it has without cracking it open.

I just took notice of it when I came across a picture and saw the DH logo on the base station.  I'd seen it before but just ignored because I have no interest in wireless headphones.

I figured I'd post it in here because other people do and I figured that some people might be interested in it for FPS console gaming.

May 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #5,331 of 48,566
Quote:
Anyone here ever try the Audio Technica ATHDWL5000?

Wireless headphones with Dolby and DTS decoding plus Dolby Headphone.

I saw those a little while ago.  The transmitter looks interesting with all the different  inputs.  Too bad it doesn't have a headphone out jack. 
frown.gif

May 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #5,332 of 48,566
GIVING YOU THREAD USERS first dibs...

As most of you know, I bought the AKG Q701's and love em.  I use them for everything now so my Denon AH-D1100's have been sitting in the box.  Purchased the Denon's on 09/27/11 so they aren't even a year old.  Locally I'm asking $150 for them, HOWEVER, if anyone on here is interested, shoot me an offer and if it's within my acceptance range, they are yours.  I'll even pay shipping if the offer isn't too low.

Will come with everything included in the box and in the original box as well

May 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5,333 of 48,566
I have the Tritton AX720 right now and I use it for my PS3 and computer. Just wondering if I a DAC will benefit me or is the AX720 decoder box a dac also? 

I want to get the ZO2 or the E11 for my Denon D2000 but don't know if I should pick up a DAC also.

May 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #5,334 of 48,566
Quote:
Well, if you're not using a mic, then you DON'T need an extra amp after the Mixamp. For some people, they don't need an extra amp even with a mic, though I'm still not sure about that.
And dear god, yes. The Q701 is great for many uses, whereas the HD598 isn't exactly full of wow factor other than for straight FPS gaming. I'd prefer the better rounded headphone.
I love the Q701. I really liked the HD598 just for FPS. Money is better spent on the Q701 for me.

Oops, forgot to tell you.  Yes, I'm planning on using a mic for voice chat, very certain I'll get the modmic.  Just to let you know where I come from regarding headphones (don't laugh
tongue_smile.gif
) I used a Genius HS-04U Dolby HD headset on my PC and I've never used headphones (or headsets) with my PS3, just the home theater.  So, as you can see, I know pretty much anything I get will be a huge improvement and blow me away.

I thought about the PC360s at the beginning, more for convenience (less cables and easier to drive), but then kept reading more and changed my mind to those 2 options.

I think I saw somewhere earlier in this thread (or maybe another, not sure), that the E11 would be enough for the Q701s.  Should I try with just the mixamp (as you say some people don't use an extra amp) or just buy an E11 or E9 from the beginning and make sure it has enough power?

May 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #5,335 of 48,566
Noisecr, I'd get an E11 or E9.

I have the Tritton AX720 right now and I use it for my PS3 and computer. Just wondering if I a DAC will benefit me or is the AX720 decoder box a dac also? 

I want to get the ZO2 or the E11 for my Denon D2000 but don't know if I should pick up a DAC also.

The AX720/Mixamp/DSS/Etc are a DACs as they are taking a digital signal (from the optical cable) and then converting it to analog for your headphones.

Basically, anything with a digital input (HDMI, optical or digital coaxial) and a headphone jack/RCA output is a dac.

May 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #5,336 of 48,566
Quote:
I think I saw somewhere earlier in this thread (or maybe another, not sure), that the E11 would be enough for the Q701s.  Should I try with just the mixamp (as you say some people don't use an extra amp) or just buy an E11 or E9 from the beginning and make sure it has enough power?

I would try it stand-alone first.  If your going to be using them for music too, I would go ahead and get an amp/dac or a good soundcard though.

May 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5,338 of 48,566
Quote:
deciding whether to go q701 + modmic or pc360.. i cant get myself to put the modmic on my t1. 

I would just rock the T1 + modmic.  I'm sure if the modmic left anything behind a little isopropyl alcohol could take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back