Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4,966 of 48,568
I'm hearing consistent distortion in Mass Effect 3, in 2 particular scenes:

- Every time I make a mass effect relay jump, when the electricity crackles around the Normandy.
- Whenever the "Reaper sound effect" (i.e. the Inception-like sound) plays.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix for it?
My setups are: 
Xbox > TOSlink > MixAmp Pro (old version) > DT 880 / HD 600

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #4,967 of 48,568
Like popping? If I remember correctly, the old Mixamp didn't do bass all too well at certain frequencies (I think below 35hz). Those two sound effects are very testy for headphoneas and the Mixamp in general. I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes my 5.8's audio cuts off for a moment with those sounds.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4,968 of 48,568
Like crackling. Pretty sure both headphones are ok, especially the 600 as it's brand new, and I don't hear problems through my separate, music setup.
Oh well. 

I guess I'll try double-amping the MixAmp with that T3 I got from the FS subforum...

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #4,969 of 48,568
It's funny how I just figured out that this thread is based on Dolby Surround, and that you need some sort of amp or sound card that can process it. All this time I've been playing straight off stereo and sometimes wonder, "this is it?" when it comes to positional cues and soundstage. Well, I guess it's pretty obvious now what I'm doing wrong! I just wonder how much better the Q701, HD598, or AD700 will sound with Dolby vs standard stereo...

Guess I'll find out when the the next DLC for BF3 comes out...

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4,970 of 48,568

Quote:
Like crackling. Pretty sure both headphones are ok, especially the 600 as it's brand new, and I don't hear problems through my separate, music setup.
Oh well. 

I guess I'll try double-amping the MixAmp with that T3 I got from the FS subforum...

My mixamp never crackles. Sometimes it distorts under heavy bass (think a grenade, tube, and airstrike all hitting me at once in CoD), though. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #4,971 of 48,568
I agree with that order very much, except I don't have the HE-500 yet. Haven't decided which amp to buy for it and the LYR is just too much for my liking (and it costs a lot shipped to Germany).

Quote:
It's pretty neutral, it has a "big enough" soundstage, it can go extremely low if the game demands it (think about the sub bass in the Skyrim intro - these headphones produce it well), it (to my ears) works well with Dolby Headphone/CMSS-3D, and it is seemingly pretty detailed. I say seemingly, because I don't have much experience with audiophile headphones.

Here's a ranking for gaming, based on what I've heard:

HE-500 > >  Ultrasone PRO 2900 >  DT880 > > > TB HPX/ATH-M50 > > Astro A40 > TB x11 > > > > > > Triton AX PRO*

*They sounded like you were listening to music on the moon, if that makes sense. So muffled.. so weird.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4,972 of 48,568

Quote:
 I just wonder how much better the Q701, HD598, or AD700 will sound with Dolby vs standard stereo...

7.1 times better
smile_phones.gif

My mixamp distorts sometimes when loud bassy stuff is happening.  I think dobly headphone craps out sometimes when its DSP-ing too much LFE or something.  Not a big deal.  The Brumaks in Gears 3 sound horrible and clip constantly, but I think that's just the game.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #4,974 of 48,568

Quote:
My DSS1 doesn't have that problem.  Journey has low frequency stuff out the wazzo and I didn't have any trouble.  

The DSS1 is better about it than the wireless mixamp.  I had them both and compared them, and the DSS1 distorted less on the bass, especially when bass boost was turned on both.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #4,975 of 48,568
It's funny how I just figured out that this thread is based on Dolby Surround, and that you need some sort of amp or sound card that can process it. All this time I've been playing straight off stereo and sometimes wonder, "this is it?" when it comes to positional cues and soundstage. Well, I guess it's pretty obvious now what I'm doing wrong! I just wonder how much better the Q701, HD598, or AD700 will sound with Dolby vs standard stereo...

Guess I'll find out when the the next DLC for BF3 comes out...

Honestly, BF3 is not a great game to test the surround sound capabilities with headphones. While the audio is GREAT, positioning is quite literally nothing special in that game.

A better game to demo is Mass Effect 3. Or plenty of others. Modern Warfare 2 (multiplayer, not the single player), has fantastic positional cues. MW3... not so much.

It REALLY REALLY REALLY is dependent on the game you're playing. So do yourself a favor and try out as many games as you possibly can, because you will be impressed with some more than others.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #4,976 of 48,568
A bad situation of gaming is that you have to go back to less recent titles in order to have quality audio, as virtually all new games have little to no positional cues accuracy.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4,977 of 48,568
Quote:
Honestly, BF3 is not a great game to test the surround sound capabilities with headphones. While the audio is GREAT, positioning is quite literally nothing special in that game.
A better game to demo is Mass Effect 3. Or plenty of others. Modern Warfare 2 (multiplayer, not the single player), has fantastic positional cues. MW3... not so much.
It REALLY REALLY REALLY is dependent on the game you're playing. So do yourself a favor and try out as many games as you possibly can, because you will be impressed with some more than others.

Hmm. That's kinda what I figured. I personally thought BC2 was leaps better with positioning. But I'm guessing it would still be better than just using stereo format wouldn't it? I'll be using the Q701, and I guess now I'll be deciding between the Mixamp Pro or the M-Stage, as I'll be playing BF3 for the most part. The whole surround thing is really intriguing though, especially when I play other games besides BF3. Hmm...

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4,978 of 48,568
Look at the first post. There's a cool DH demo there. If the time stamps I mention don't impress you on positional cues, then it probably won't ever satisfy you.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #4,979 of 48,568
This might be asking for too much but is there a headphone like the DT990's (theather like bass with lots of impact when called for and big sounstage) that is also suitable for music i.e mids are not recessed? The FA-011's would probably come to mind going by reviews, but I have a feeling the bass is over exaggerated on those. I have the HTF600's and I find them kinda boring for immersive gameplay. Bass impact is weak and the lack of quantity makes the rest of the sound is kinda hollow, especially with DH. For music it's great though.

I've already got the x41's, and with the bass boost on they give enough bass but I'm getting tired of the closed sound and the constant hissing. Would something like the AD900's be sufficient with a fiio e11 bass boost?

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4,980 of 48,568

Quote:
Would something like the AD900's be sufficient with a fiio e11 bass boost?

Probably not.  AD900 are still pretty bass light and I doubt bass boost will give you the level you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back