Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #48,304 of 48,566
Whats that used for? Must admit I don't think I've ever seen that.
I use it to run my Xbox through my computer to listen to both sources at once through one set of audio gear. I just use the Xbox app on my computer if I need voice with other console players.

X5 seems to still use USB 2.0 / 3.0 as source, so limited by power. Would have been more interesting if it had an option to use USB-C power source.
It is in fact USB-C powered! It also has RCA out and it works with discrete USB headphones!!!! Ooh this thing is getting sexier.

The one thing it doesn't do is Super X-Fi for those who like it. It'll do virtual surround, though.

$279 is the MSRP. It's tempting, this would replace both my X4 as well as my Atom+ DAC while adding a balanced output as well.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #48,305 of 48,566
I use it to run my Xbox through my computer to listen to both sources at once through one set of audio gear. I just use the Xbox app on my computer if I need voice with other console players.

It is in fact USB-C powered! It also has RCA out and it works with discrete USB headphones!!!! Ooh this thing is getting sexier.

The one thing it doesn't do is Super X-Fi for those who like it. It'll do virtual surround, though.

$279 is the MSRP. It's tempting, this would replace both my X4 as well as my Atom+ DAC while adding a balanced output as well.
Do we know if this is like the g6 which needed the optical port for ps5? I might be interested but it would need use usb on ps5 and pc for me.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #48,308 of 48,566
You guys should have a look at that impressions thread on reddit.

The X5 really isn´t that great and the USB-Host-Port doesn´t work reliably. Also the surround sound is "fake", its a upmix from stereo, not a downmix from 7.1.
I don't know if I'm ready to say it's not that great. Keep in mind Creative has said they can't reproduce many of that person's complaints. It does sound like the USB Host port has limited support for devices, which is disappointing. But I really like where this is headed, Creative continuing to work to make a higher-end audio device with gaming features. Just the fact they've got RCA ins and outs and balanced output are great steps. The exclusion of Super X-Fi is definitely odd, I wonder if it has to do with integrating another chip into the architecture they built. Or perhaps it's a cost-savings measure.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #48,309 of 48,566
I don't know if I'm ready to say it's not that great. Keep in mind Creative has said they can't reproduce many of that person's complaints.
They could reproduce the Tidal bug in exclusive mode, they confirmed that in a comment, thats actually a huge bug that can be really threatening to a persons hearing.

There were no other problems with the device, just a (in my opinion) very bad implementation of the volume control.

Creative continuing to work to make a higher-end audio device with gaming features. Just the fact they've got RCA ins and outs and balanced output are great steps.
For me it seems Creative doesn´t really know what they are doing. They market this device for audiophiles and "pro audio lovers", but don´t include balanced outputs on the back. They also make their volume control dependend on the windows volume control, which most audiophiles probably hate.

But its also not really that great for their gaming audience, because the X5 is a pure stereo device. It not only does not have Super X-Fi, it also doesnt have any ability to receive a 7.1 signal at all. The SBX in the X5 is purely done by software and is just a weird upmix of stereo and not a proper 7.1 HRTF simulation.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #48,310 of 48,566
They could reproduce the Tidal bug in exclusive mode, they confirmed that in a comment, thats actually a huge bug that can be really threatening to a persons hearing.

There were no other problems with the device, just a (in my opinion) very bad implementiation of the volume control.

For me it seems Creative doesn´t really know what they are doing. They market this device for audiophiles and "pro audio lovers", but don´t include balanced outputs on the back. They also make their volume control dependend on the windows volume control, which most audiophiles probably hate.

But its also not really that great for their gaming audience, because the X5 is a pure stereo device. It not only does not have Super X-Fi, it also doesnt have any ability to receive a 7.1 signal at all. The SBX in the X5 is purely done by software and is just a weird upmix of stereo and not a proper 7.1 HRTF simulation.
Oh I think your analysis is quite accurate. They say this is an "audiophile" device but I think their target market is gamers or computer owners who want to feel the warm fuzzies of "audiophile quality" sound while gaming or perhaps someone who wants to explore the "audiophile" world who doesn't know better yet. I think the exclusion of a balanced preout is great evidence of that: their target audience wouldn't want more devices or even consider plugging their headphones into something else.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #48,311 of 48,566
The X5 is software SBX, and it would need a virtual audio device to be configured for 7.1, like the G6 does. If it doesn't do that, then you would need an external VSS, like Redscape.
It is in fact USB-C powered!
It has a USB-C port, but if you read the specs, it uses USB 2.0 (5v@0.5A) or USB3 (5v@1A) at max. Even if you connect it to an actual USB-C port on your PC, it won't draw more that that, so it's not a great and powerful amp. It's not designed to function off of the full power of USB-C. Be nice if it did.

As for the USB A header, it only supports up to a 0.1A power.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #48,312 of 48,566
The X5 is software SBX, and it would need a virtual audio device to be configured for 7.1, like the G6 does. If it doesn't do that, then you would need an external VSS, like Redscape.

It has a USB-C port, but if you read the specs, it uses USB 2.0 (5v@0.5A) or USB3 (5v@1A) at max. Even if you connect it to an actual USB-C port on your PC, it won't draw more that that, so it's not a great and powerful amp. It's not designed to function off of the full power of USB-C. Be nice if it did.

As for the USB A header, it only supports up to a 0.1A power.
Man, F USB-C. A great example of how to ruin a really good potential specification.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #48,314 of 48,566
Is there an issue with usb type C?
I think I'm just annoyed at the idea that when you see a USB-C connector that has no bearing on what USB spec is actually in use. From what I recall too different cables with USB-C connectors also support different voltages, meaning that for the consumer you have to be careful to select not only a cable that meets your needs but you also need to understand the specs of the device you're connecting to. I get that it makes it easier for backward compatibility to maintain a physical connector across generations and I'm all for that, it just brings with it other problems too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back