Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #4,591 of 48,566

Quote:
Hi,

I could get them for around 350€. I haven't checked into Ultrasone yet and before I sound like a heathen: Are they that good compared to the trio? Unfortunately MLE hasn't tested them in his awesome guide but I have heard about gaming with them or people preferring them over the trio. What's their soundstage?

I thought it had an excellent soundstage, and the positioning was spot on. I think S-Logic worked very well with my ears. The "trio" may be a much safer choice, but you might like what the Ultrasone's can do with virtual surround sound.

As for how they compare to DT880/K701's- I really can't say. I've only heard the DT880 very briefly, and I've never heard the K701. I wouldn't feel comfortable comparing them to the DT880 since there was a gap of many months between when I heard the 880's and when I bought the 2900's.

The 2900's could of been end-game for me, but I always have an itch to upgrade.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #4,592 of 48,566

Quote:
That was one problem I personally had. I was deciding on the M Stage or the Asgard for like ever, and went out of left field and ordered the NFB 5 instead. The Asgard looks good on paper, but tdockweiler says he much prefers the AKGs with the M Stage than the Asgard, and others have stated the M Stage is just a better amp than the Asgard overall. I trust tdockweiler, so I'd have gone with the M Stage if I only had the Q701. Chico also loves his MStage with the Q701. That'd be enough to make me go that route. I didn't get the M Stage because the output impedance was too high for the D7000. In real world testing, I'm sure it wouldn't have been something I'd have noticed I'm sure, but still, I wanted something perfect for both D7000 and Q701, with no technical faults whatsoever.

Thanks, I was leaning towards the m-stage to begin with, but I had neglected to look into other possible amps and then the Asgard popped up somewhere in here and I need to do my due diligence. Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4,593 of 48,566

Quote:
I thought it had an excellent soundstage, and the positioning was spot on. I think S-Logic worked very well with my ears. The "trio" may be a much safer choice, but you might like what the Ultrasone's can do with virtual surround sound.

As for how they compare to DT880/K701's- I really can't say. I've only heard the DT880 very briefly, and I've never heard the K701. I wouldn't feel comfortable comparing them to the DT880 since there was a gap of many months between when I heard the 880's and when I bought the 2900's.

The 2900's could of been end-game for me, but I always have an itch to upgrade.

So not to confuse anything. S-Logic doesn't "interfere" with the way Dolby Headphone and/or CMSS-3D work?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #4,594 of 48,566

Quote:
Well my ears love bass, deep, heavy, just blown my skull up with a frag kind of thing...

AD700s should do the trick.... (kidding)

You'll probably find PC360 too bass light.  K701 as well.  Q701 (my favorite) has more bass than either.  DT990 premium has more bass than Q701 (but the treble was too much for me).  DT990 Pro has more bass than the premium FWIR.

Some people like the Ultrasone Pro 900 or Pro 2900.  Never heard their s-logic sound though, I'm still suspicious that it would conflict with dolby headphone...

Quote:
Is the Tritton decoder noisier than the original DSS? It's noisefloor pretty much sucked-but I'm not sure any of that would be audible with the 600 ohm T1s...guess I'll find out shortly.

-Daniel

Zombie_x said the T1s are very efficient and get louder than the 250 ohm beyers at the same volume level. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,595 of 48,566
In my experience dolby headphone seems to work well with headphones that have a wide soundstage with lots of instrument separation going on within it.  DH then wraps that soundstage around in a circle and the separation carries over.

When I tried the elusive Sony MDR-F1, it seemed to conflict with dolby headphone.  By itself with no DSP, it has a very involving, sphere-like soundstage.  It sounds out of head naturally, but it doesn't have all that much separation.  A good way to describe it, would be "pro-logic" sounding.  When you apply DH to it, it sounds like it has got two DSPs chained together.  Like you applying DH to a small pair of speakers, or applying pro-logic, then DH as well.  The directionality and positioning just wasn't as good as some of the flatter and wider soundstage headphones I've used. 

It seems like s-logic could have a similar effect when used with DH.  Not having heard it, I won't say it does though...

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,596 of 48,566

Quote:

So not to confuse anything. S-Logic doesn't "interfere" with the way Dolby Headphone and/or CMSS-3D work?

It certainly doesn't mess with Dolby Headphone at all (I used the 2900's for many months with the Astro Mixamp and a Xonar ST soundcard), and I wouldn't imagine it would do anything to CMSS-3D either (I didn't have a CMSS-3D source to try them with at the time).

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4,597 of 48,566

Quote:

It certainly doesn't mess with Dolby Headphone at all (I used the 2900's for many months with the Astro Mixamp and a Xonar ST soundcard), and I wouldn't imagine it would do anything to CMSS-3D either (I didn't have a CMSS-3D source to try them with at the time).

Thanks again. :) I will give them a try and see for myself if positioning, ambience and surround pairs well with S-Logic.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #4,598 of 48,566
The m-Stage is considerable better than the Asgard when paired with the K702. In fact I'd go as far as to say the Asgard is a very poor match for them (harsh, bright, brittle) and the m-Stage is very synergistic with the AKG (slightly warm, great bass impact, excellent transient response). I wouldn't be the first one to have these impressions either-it's a no-brainer.

-Daniel

edit: Yes I've owned both, along with a fully burned in K702.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4,599 of 48,566
samsung are bringing 21.9 oled screens out some time this year. they will have a clear border so you can link them up together with out the black borders which the nvidia three screen set up has..should be good when they eventually get around to bringing them out that is..i am still waiting for the super oled..

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4,600 of 48,566
MLE: Thanks for your swift reply, so iam pretty much happy now just choosing between the two you said, will consult my partner hehe.
But whilst iam here can i just ask...

Your K701 thoughts are obviously eye catching with such words as SMACKDOWN & OWNAGE... So what made you recommend the DT990 Pros over the K701 for me?

Lastly, as it's the better choice for me to get the DSS2 not the mixamp, what about the power if i went for the DT770 pro? Should i get the 250 instead of the 80? It's the same price, so is the power there & will there be much difference?
----------------------------------------------------
DCB305: Thanks for your input too, my setup is a messy custom thing and not something i can be bothered to go into lol, but i have had a look at the DSS2 you mentioned, i haven't actually come accross that, thinking that the mixamp was the solution... As it's cheaper than the mixamp & just as fitting to me, i think that's what iam going to get instead now... For the soundwhoring, couple EQ bits & as you said it has got the power too, it's all good for me.

So to confirm... I shall be getting the DSS2 & you mentioned it has enough power to blast your PC360's louder than you need, so do you have any idea about the 80 or 250 ohm versions iam looking at?

Thanks again!

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #4,601 of 48,566

Quote:
Your K701 thoughts are obviously eye catching with such words as SMACKDOWN & OWNAGE... So what made you recommend the DT990 Pros over the K701 for me?

More bass.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #4,603 of 48,566
Just want to throw in that I'm an avid gamer and find the Ultrasone HFI-780's an excellent choice for gaming. Bass is tight and deep , but not distracting. Soundstage is accurate and I find placing NPC's much easier than on my HD650's.

Highly recommended.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #4,604 of 48,566
For me the Pro2900 is my end game headphone. It does movies, games (DH), and music excellently. But with all the talk about the Q701 has definitely piqued my interests and I really want to try them out. If anyone is wondering, just about all the Open-backed Ultrasone cans work really well with DH. Right now I am playing MW3 with some Sony CD2000's and they work pretty well too.

I also use chat on xbox by just plugging a clip on mono mic directly into the controller and it works fine. In the voice preferences I set chat audio to 10, game audio to 8, and play voice out of both the headset and speakers. In the game, I set usually set master volume to around 50%. This is for those of us that don't have a mixamp but still want to use voice chat.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #4,605 of 48,566
To those of us with PS Vitas (for the love of games, BUY ONE EVERYONE), Motorstorm RC (great reviews) is FREE for US PS Vita owners. Why is it free? Scion (aka Toyota's brand aimed at younger drivers), has sponsored the game here, and even added one of their cars in the game. I love free stuff! :D

MLE: Thanks for your swift reply, so iam pretty much happy now just choosing between the two you said, will consult my partner hehe.
But whilst iam here can i just ask...

Lastly, as it's the better choice for me to get the DSS2 not the mixamp, what about the power if i went for the DT770 pro? Should i get the 250 instead of the 80? It's the same price, so is the power there & will there be much difference?
DCB305: Thanks for your input too, my setup is a messy custom thing and not something i can be bothered to go into lol, but i have had a look at the DSS2 you mentioned, i haven't actually come accross that, thinking that the mixamp was the solution... As it's cheaper than the mixamp & just as fitting to me, i think that's what iam going to get instead now... For the soundwhoring, couple EQ bits & as you said it has got the power too, it's all good for me.

So to confirm... I shall be getting the DSS2 & you mentioned it has enough power to blast your PC360's louder than you need, so do you have any idea about the 80 or 250 ohm versions iam looking at?

Thanks again!

Just wanna say, If you were going with the K701, you should go with the Q701 instead. An overall upgrade in pretty much every way. Just saying.

And yes, the DT990 pros have the whole package, while the K701 is strictly for competetive gaming use, and you won't find it nearly half as enjoyable as the DT990 Pros for pretty much anything but Classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back