Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #45,451 of 48,562
Right now all it has is a sort of ear height setting. I set mine 1 step lower to number 4 which sounded the best to me. But they need a sort of ambience size adjustment setting. Right now its just too close to your head. Good for sound quality, bad for surround awareness.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #45,452 of 48,562
And if I not wrong some games have special 3D sound in game. So developer when making game already do it witch special 3D and tempest audio on ps5. For example:
- Spider man and demons souls - they have this special 3D sound. And tempest audio make it better
-other games not have special 3D sound, but tempest audio make sound in game like 3D

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #45,453 of 48,562
To get Atmos Headphones/DTS Headphone X out of my Xbox Series X and later Tempest 3D PS5 there's of course things like the LucidSound LS50X and Sony 3D Pulse.

But I'm thinking of connecting a portable amp to my controller to feed the HD800S.
I was thinking of iFi Audio Micro iCan SE or xCan since these seem to be pretty powerful, the SE more powerful I think.
Would you guys recommend one over the other or another powerful portable amp?

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #45,454 of 48,562
You don't need those headsets for the 3D audio. I assume that's not what you meant, but just want to reiterate this with everyone. Works fine on the Penrose, as well as whatever you plug to the controller.

Now when I get home in 2 hours I'll test the other stuff.

Also I know this is early, but holy smokes does the Penrose shine with the Tempest 3D audio. One impressive headphone/headset.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #45,455 of 48,562
You don't need those headsets for the 3D audio. I assume that's not what you meant, but just want to reiterate this with everyone. Works fine on the Penrose, as well as whatever you plug to the controller.

Now when I get home in 2 hours I'll test the other stuff.

Also I know this is early, but holy smokes does the Penrose shine with the Tempest 3D audio. One impressive headphone/headset.

Hmm, damn. Penrose(X) will probably be better than Ls50X or 3D Pulse?

But yes I meant I'm looking for a good portable amp to connect to my controller so I can use other phones as well, like the LCD-X and HD800S.

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #45,456 of 48,562

But yes I meant I'm looking for a good portable amp to connect to my controller so I can use other phones as well, like the LCD-X and HD800S.
Maybe you won't have to. Apparently the G6 works. I'll let you know in just over an hour.

If the G6 works, that opens up dac amps that can attach to the G6 through optical or analog.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #45,457 of 48,562

Would the G6 be able to drive the HD800s optimally?

Also does the LCD-X even require amping? I was under the impression they were sensitive and with low-impedance

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #45,458 of 48,562

Also does the LCD-X even require amping? I was under the impression they were sensitive and with low-impedance

Depends on what you mean with amping required or not, a HD899 produces sound straight from the controller, for some loud enough for others not but the SQ sucks and at max volume distortion occurs. Just tested it straight from the controller, then from the controller through a Jotunheim.

The LCD-X is easier to drive but being a full size planar it will benefit from some amping as well. I tried my Drop THX Panda from the controller and it does get l;oud enough but the sound through the Jot just was better.

I do wonder about those Penroses though. I find my Drop THX Panda used wireless with a PC for example, so using the internal amp, lacking power.

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #45,459 of 48,562

Well, ideally you'd send the G6 signal to another dac or amp that's better equipped. But the G6 has a well known high output volume if anything.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #45,460 of 48,562
Well, ideally you'd send the G6 signal to another dac or amp that's better equipped. But the G6 has a well known high output volume if anything.
So just to clarify, in order to utilise the PS5 3D audio, you must either connect headphones directly to dualsense, or connect via headphones into dac/amp, which is connected via optical to the display?

And just to confirm Tempest Audio and any other VSS does not work directly via USB from PS5?

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #45,461 of 48,562
So just to clarify, in order to utilise the PS5 3D audio, you must either connect headphones directly to dualsense, or connect via headphones into dac/amp, which is connected via optical to the display?

And just to confirm Tempest Audio and any other VSS does not work directly via USB from PS5?
He's testing it and will report back in a few hours.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #45,463 of 48,562
Popping my head in here as MLE's guide has been a great resource over the years. There's a thread on Era as well as a portion of ACG's review of the PS5 that confirms that UAC1 DACs work on PS5 (same as PS4) and UAC2 are still in the dark.

UAC2 doesn’t seem to work. My X7 just gives me a buzzing noise when I hook it up via USB. Everything still functions properly if I use optical out from my TV to connect to the X7, but I am then missing out in Tempest.
That said, DD5.1 via bitstream sounded very clean in Demons’ Souls, so I am very curious about how much I’m leaving on the table by losing out on Tempest. If it’s just another VSS solution, then I might just forget about it, yet I do have a Penrose on order. Even with hifi cans, there is something to be said about the convenience of wireless gaming headphones.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #45,464 of 48,562
edited: to remove bad idea of using usb c to 3.5mm dongle for ps5. Don't do it

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #45,465 of 48,562
UAC2 doesn’t seem to work. My X7 just gives me a buzzing noise when I hook it up via USB. Everything still functions properly if I use optical out from my TV to connect to the X7, but I am then missing out in Tempest.
That said, DD5.1 via bitstream sounded very clean in Demons’ Souls, so I am very curious about how much I’m leaving on the table by losing out on Tempest. If it’s just another VSS solution, then I might just forget about it, yet I do have a Penrose on order. Even with hifi cans, there is something to be said about the convenience of wireless gaming headphones.
Sorry if I wasn't clear UAC2 does not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back