Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #4,366 of 48,566

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on Silent Cinema.

I didn't find this back in NamelessPFG's thread (which I completely read 2 days ago - I know... crazy...)
Is this Silent Cinema a "real" surround or a "made-up" surround? (I mean: if an opponent comes from behind you, do you hear him from behind? or does it just "randomly" positions sounds?)

Does it work well with a PC? Does it need a DTS or other specific surround standard as input to the receiver? Or does it work as well with a 5.1 PCM input without any dolby stuff?
(Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions here, but I still need to investigate more on this aspect and actually wanted to have this conversation in NamelessPFGs thread at a later point in time... but if you already have answers on this, they are offcourse more than welcome :p )

The reason I haven't really mentioned Silent Cinema much is simply lack of experience with it. I don't have an A/V receiver that has it, nor do I have any plans to get one.

For PC use, though, I find it much more economical to just get a sound card.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #4,369 of 48,566

Quote:
The reason I haven't really mentioned Silent Cinema much is simply lack of experience with it. I don't have an A/V receiver that has it, nor do I have any plans to get one.
For PC use, though, I find it much more economical to just get a sound card.

I have the Yamaha RX-V671 with the Silent Cinema, I usually use my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm plugged into it for Blu-ray Action movies.
it sounds great!

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #4,371 of 48,566
I've bought the older steelseries audio mixer and returned it a day later. These things need usb power to work and every usb plug I plugged it into created so much hiss and static that it was completely unusable with any of my headphones. They might have fixed it with the new version but my hopes aren't high.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4,372 of 48,566
I might give it a shot to hook it up to the TB DSS2, it would allow me to use the mic on the PC360 and I would like the convenience of controlling the the audio volume and voice volume independently on a puck (ala ax720) and it would also allow me to sit the DSS next to the PS3. Hopefully it wouldn't create any noise and keep the audio SQ of the DSS2. Just looking for an alternative for the ax720 decoder box as I will be giving my ax720 setup to my nephew soon and I really like the functionality of it. If i get it I will let everyone know how it works or doesn't. Also I may be getting the Q701 and M-stage but, now I am concerned if it would be to many cooks in the kitchen sort of speak:

DSS2 headphone out -> M-stage -> steelseries -> Q701 ?
DSS2 USB                  ------------------> Steelseries-> mod mic

What do you guys think?

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #4,374 of 48,566
Quote:
Just FYI, there are ways to get DH in Media Player Classic without needing a HT receiver. There's also an HRTF option in ffdshow but I've never heard anyone actually talk about whether it's useful or not.

I use one of them (I forget which right now, one sucks and one is pretty good) and it works pretty well for throwing the soundstage out in front of you for movies.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4,376 of 48,566
I just wanted to put a warning out there to anyone thinking of purchasing the new Tritton AX720 7.1 2012 headset.  It's so much worse than the old model, I returned it immediately.

Compared to the older model, the 7.1 has a significant amount more hum.  Hum is loud enough that it can be heard during quieter parts of games.

I bought it for the amp which offers nothing over the older model.  I thought the volume knob was analog, but just a circular shaped digital volume button.  As with everything Madcatz puts there hands on, the build quality of everything feels cheaper than the older model IMHO.

The headset is SIGNIFICANTLY more veiled than the old headset.  Detail retrieval in shooters is non-existent.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4,377 of 48,566

Quote:
I just wanted to put a warning out there to anyone thinking of purchasing the new Tritton AX720 7.1 2012 headset.  It's so much worse than the old model, I returned it immediately.

Compared to the older model, the 7.1 has a significant amount more hum.  Hum is loud enough that it can be heard during quieter parts of games.

I bought it for the amp which offers nothing over the older model.  I thought the volume knob was analog, but just a circular shaped digital volume button.  As with everything Madcatz puts there hands on, the build quality of everything feels cheaper than the older model IMHO.

The headset is SIGNIFICANTLY more veiled than the old headset.  Detail retrieval in shooters is non-existent.

Same experience I had. Just not worth the money at all.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4,379 of 48,566
anyone have any input on the following?

In regards to the steelseries cross platform audio mixer (http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-cross-platform-audiomixer) to connect to the DSS2 (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/audio-processors/ear-force-dss2.aspx) I already have.
Quote:
I might give it a shot to hook it up to the TB DSS2, it would allow me to use the mic on the PC360 and I would like the convenience of controlling the the audio volume and voice volume independently on a puck (ala ax720) and it would also allow me to sit the DSS next to the PS3. Hopefully it wouldn't create any noise and keep the audio SQ of the DSS2. Just looking for an alternative for the ax720 decoder box as I will be giving my ax720 setup to my nephew soon and I really like the functionality of it. If i get it I will let everyone know how it works or doesn't. Also I may be getting the Q701 and M-stage but, now I am concerned if it would be to many cooks in the kitchen sort of speak:

DSS2 headphone out -> M-stage -> steelseries -> Q701 ?
DSS2 USB                  ------------------> Steelseries-> mod mic

Would like to get the functionality of the ax720 set up with the TB DSS2. Also I am planning on getting the Q701 and m-stage in the near future and would like to know if this would all play nicely together. Thanks

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4,380 of 48,566

Quote:
Would the steelseries cross platform mixer work with the dss1? I'm assuming it would let you control voice volume? Would it let you hear yourself in the headphones also?

IDK yet, I may be ordering it next week to test. I hate to assume but I assume it will work and I wouldn't be able to tell you if you can hear yourself until next week when I receive the

Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=ox_ya_os_product) so I can connect the pc360 mic to the DSS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back