Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #4,351 of 48,566
Hey MLE, think this optical switcher would actually work? It looks like it's pretty straightforward (all mechanical) so I doubt it'd interfere with the quality all that much. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4,352 of 48,566

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on Silent Cinema.

I didn't find this back in NamelessPFG's thread (which I completely read 2 days ago - I know... crazy...)
Is this Silent Cinema a "real" surround or a "made-up" surround? (I mean: if an opponent comes from behind you, do you hear him from behind? or does it just "randomly" positions sounds?)

Correct me if I am wrong, but all surround sound you hear through your headhones is "made up". This means that you have to have some device that mixes the sound and sends it to your headphones in an order that they appear to be surround sound, when acutally you only have 2 speakers of course (left and right). 
There are only a hand full of "real" surround sound headsets (meaning multiple speakers on each side) and from what I´ve heard they just simply suck. So not an option.

What I don´t get is this: People (including me) all want a good surround sound experience. Understandably so. But even now, when I just plug my headphones into the headphone jack (or RCA) of my TV I already get "surround sound". I mean technically I think it´s stereo of course, but if I play MW3 I still can tell if somebody is behind me or in front of me or if he is comming left or right around the corner, or if that fire is behind/in front, left or right of me. Same with movies: I can hear the a starship in Star Wars passing by just as I would in real life. So there must be some sort of processing already beeing done by my TV, Blu Ray Player, Xbox or whatever. Maybe somebody can explain that mystery to me :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4,353 of 48,566
just a thank you for this thread, i've been reading the whole thing & learned a lot.  i went from having tb dx11's to getting some audio technicas ad700's.  even got the antlion modmic to go with it.  the dss w/ the 700's was a huge improvement over the tb's.  even when i turned on the xbox i could hear stuff that the tb's didn't, lol.  the only complaint i have about the 700's is my wife says they're too loud.  so now i'm on a quest for some closed cans also for gaming.  the dt 770's are on the list.  i looked on the beyer website & they have a limited edition 32 ohm 770 coming out in march.  i might wait for those.  has any1 tried the fischer audio/brainwavez w/ mixamp/dss for gaming?

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #4,354 of 48,566
Lurking around these forums and this thread, I found a lot of good information about headphones that work well with gaming. I don't know where to ask and I don't want to be "that guy who making another 'What headphones should I get thread'", so I might as well ask here. I'm looking for an all around headphones for gaming and maybe music and movies. The details are here:

Music genres: Classical, rock, hip hop, pop, dubstep, some rap, generally anything, but heavy metal.

Gaming genres/setup: Anything really, mostly action adventure, platformers, FPS, TPS, RPGs hack n' slash, etc. Not much strategy games though, like RTS. Mostly consoles, Wii, PS3, PS2, thinking about a PC in the future.

Budget: Anything below $50 - $60 would be nice, it'll be my first headphones, so if I end up having issues with it or for some reason don't like using headphones, it would not be as much of an issue if I did spend over $100 for something I didn't like or was actually crappy, looking at you "gaming headsets".

Notes: - I'm not an audiophile by any means, well, as far as I know.
- The closest to headphones I have used would be the ones in the medical clinics where they test your hearing and earbuds, which is where my interest in using earbuds/headphones began after listening to music and stuff on Youtube.
- I used to look for "gaming headsets" which apparently after a ton of research are poor quality, high bass, only suitable for games and suck with almost everything else, branded, meaning more money for stuff that everyone buys, expensive, and have weird setups at times, when you could just plug it into a headphone jack on your TV which I found out yesterday.
- I do not care about mics, at the moment, which is why I'm looking for a set of headphones not headsets.
- I think I have issues with extremely high pitched noises, like when opening certain plastic packages, the little screeching sounds is really annoying for me.

Products already looked at: JVC HA RX700, Superlux 681 and 668B, Panasonic RP-HTF600S, Sennheiser HD201 and HD202 II (mostly as the really low cost headphones), Samson 850.

The things about the headphones I already looked at is that the 668B is out of stock from Amazon, don't know about other retailers, and most are a little bass-y, but hey, it's my first time with headphones so I shouldn't really judge, but try them out and find a reference point.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4,355 of 48,566
Question on MixAmp Pro (pre-2010) power requirements:
I think I've figured out why the power was so "noisy" out of my Xbox's USB port--I had a controller plugged into the next USB port, which is why I only noticed all the distortion in the audio now.
I'm thinking of powering the MixAmp by using either an iPad or iPhone wall wart charger; does anyone know the voltage / current requirements of a MixAmp? I don't want to blow the MixAmp or the charger.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4,356 of 48,566

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but all surround sound you hear through your headhones is "made up". This means that you have to have some device that mixes the sound and sends it to your headphones in an order that they appear to be surround sound, when acutally you only have 2 speakers of course (left and right). 
There are only a hand full of "real" surround sound headsets (meaning multiple speakers on each side) and from what I´ve heard they just simply suck. So not an option.

What I don´t get is this: People (including me) all want a good surround sound experience. Understandably so. But even now, when I just plug my headphones into the headphone jack (or RCA) of my TV I already get "surround sound". I mean technically I think it´s stereo of course, but if I play MW3 I still can tell if somebody is behind me or in front of me or if he is comming left or right around the corner, or if that fire is behind/in front, left or right of me. Same with movies: I can hear the a starship in Star Wars passing by just as I would in real life. So there must be some sort of processing already beeing done by my TV, Blu Ray Player, Xbox or whatever. Maybe somebody can explain that mystery to me :)

I00I, when your off your meds, you hear things that are not really there.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #4,357 of 48,566

Quote:
Lurking around these forums and this thread, I found a lot of good information about headphones that work well with gaming. I don't know where to ask and I don't want to be "that guy who making another 'What headphones should I get thread'", so I might as well ask here. I'm looking for an all around headphones for gaming and maybe music and movies. The details are here:
Music genres: Classical, rock, hip hop, pop, dubstep, some rap, generally anything, but heavy metal.
Gaming genres/setup: Anything really, mostly action adventure, platformers, FPS, TPS, RPGs hack n' slash, etc. Not much strategy games though, like RTS. Mostly consoles, Wii, PS3, PS2, thinking about a PC in the future.
Budget: Anything below $50 - $60 would be nice, it'll be my first headphones, so if I end up having issues with it or for some reason don't like using headphones, it would not be as much of an issue if I did spend over $100 for something I didn't like or was actually crappy, looking at you "gaming headsets".
Notes: - I'm not an audiophile by any means, well, as far as I know.
- The closest to headphones I have used would be the ones in the medical clinics where they test your hearing and earbuds, which is where my interest in using earbuds/headphones began after listening to music and stuff on Youtube.
- I used to look for "gaming headsets" which apparently after a ton of research are poor quality, high bass, only suitable for games and suck with almost everything else, branded, meaning more money for stuff that everyone buys, expensive, and have weird setups at times, when you could just plug it into a headphone jack on your TV which I found out yesterday.
- I do not care about mics, at the moment, which is why I'm looking for a set of headphones not headsets.
- I think I have issues with extremely high pitched noises, like when opening certain plastic packages, the little screeching sounds is really annoying for me.
Products already looked at: JVC HA RX700, Superlux 681 and 668B, Panasonic RP-HTF600S, Sennheiser HD201 and HD202 II (mostly as the really low cost headphones), Samson 850.
The things about the headphones I already looked at is that the 668B is out of stock from Amazon, don't know about other retailers, and most are a little bass-y, but hey, it's my first time with headphones so I shouldn't really judge, but try them out and find a reference point.

The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) is a good all around headphone (semi-open) and the price is reasonable.
Audiohipster (on eBay) stocks the HD-668B.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #4,358 of 48,566

Quote:
The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) is a good all around headphone (semi-open) and the price is reasonable.
Audiohipster (on eBay) stocks the HD-668B.

Thanks for the info. I should look into the Samson SR850, mostly seen some things about the others except the HTF600S and HA RX700, by headphone.com, Innerfidelty, and headfonia.com.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #4,359 of 48,566
@ Mastakilla

I had the HD598's and to be honest, they dont sound at all good listening to hip hop. The bass they produce lacks "punch" and imo takes the life out of the music. They worked great for gaming but that was about it. Now I have the 770 Pro 80's and am so glad I tried them. Movies and Music have life now because the bass they produce and that "punch" that is needed. Again, just my opinion. But if you want hip hop bass and movie bass to sound good, skip the senns

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #4,361 of 48,566
Hey MLE, think this optical switcher would actually work? It looks like it's pretty straightforward (all mechanical) so I doubt it'd interfere with the quality all that much. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946

Its cheap and broke on me in a few days of turning the knob. Avoid it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4,362 of 48,566
It seems like most people are using a Mixamp on the PS3, but what about using a USB microphone directly into your PS3.

Then you don't have to buy a Mixamp or even gaming headphones.

I was thinking this might be a budget solution if you want to chat and play a muti-player game.

Has anyone tried this?

If you have what are your recommendations?

I was thinking of ordering the Zalman Zm Mic1 and the Syba USB Stereo Audio Adapter.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4,363 of 48,566
The Mixamp still serves a purpose for USB mics. You can adjust volume levels between game and voice. A very important and simple to use feature.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #4,364 of 48,566
The zalman mic is pretty bad, even with tweaking if picks up on ambient noises and has trouble picking up on your voice by design.

Just 5 minutes of tweaking micmod(its quite sensitive initially) I was able to get an output that is mostly silent and most importantly my voice comes out extremely clear and audible by comparison.  It also clips onto your headphones easier.

Soundly beats my USB logitech mic as well, it picked up my voice clearly as well as everything else behind me.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #4,365 of 48,566
Super Mario RPG Last Night a DJ Kidnapped Mallow OC ReMix

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ufC_ogbRU[/VIDEO]

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01654/

God, I love this song, SO much. One of my fave RPGs with one of my fave remixes.

And another chill out song...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbLFbqcuO8[/VIDEO]

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02053/

All about video game remixes, baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back