Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #43,171 of 48,562
I already have the X7 I'm not concerned about the wired setup but I'm not going to run a 5m long xlr from the amp to my couch if there is a wireless solution available.
A40 is not wireless by any definition anymore though . . .? They’ve ditched the wireless receiver and base station emitter combo. The entire chain would be wired.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #43,172 of 48,562
A40 is not wireless by any definition anymore though . . .? They’ve ditched the wireless receiver and base station emitter combo. The entire chain would be wired.
A50 is though

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #43,173 of 48,562
A50 is though
Of course. I was just puzzled as to why you asked for the A40 as well given you already have a X7 and your stated priority for the enquiry appeared to be wireless with no hacks / works arounds.

I mean for the price of an A50 one could get what is widely considered to be the best wireless gaming headset specifically designed for Xbox One, the Steelseries Arctis 9x, along with the best that is specifically designed for the PS, the Platinum Wireless, and still have a chunk of change left over after buying *both*.
Do Amazon not do no-quibble return/refunds in your area?

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #43,174 of 48,562
schiity.jpg

I'm quite astounded by how nice the Schiit Fulla sounds for such a tiny device. The Hel is even better of course, but damn... for sub $100 for a dac/amp... I'm actually really, really surprised they got it to sound this good.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #43,176 of 48,562
How are you feeding them VSS? G6 through lineout?
You can use the G6 as the DAC and the Hel or Fulla as the amp, but as far as using the internal dacs, neither can, as they're usb only. For now, I'm stuck with the gimped Atmos/Sonic. I'm not touching HeSuVi, and I don't have any other VSS atm that is software based.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #43,179 of 48,562
if I would cut a lot of bass in EQ k712 PRO can performance same/similiar as k702 for gaming?
Probably. I think the fact that this is your fourth time asking the question in a relatively short space of time with no response means that nobody has both to compare so you’re best off just buying them from somewhere that offers return / refunds and trying them.

Alternatively if you want a middle ground between K702 and K712 then get these, they are superb for gaming.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition-eu

Also, read this if you haven’t already:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...s-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion.752994/

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #43,180 of 48,562
Got the CAL's today. Not bad. The pads are plenty deep, however, the circumference does make them more like on ear, for me.

Does anyone know of any custom pads that work well with these headphones and where to get them? thanks

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #43,181 of 48,562
Of course. I was just puzzled as to why you asked for the A40 as well given you already have a X7 and your stated priority for the enquiry appeared to be wireless with no hacks / works arounds.

I mean for the price of an A50 one could get what is widely considered to be the best wireless gaming headset specifically designed for Xbox One, the Steelseries Arctis 9x, along with the best that is specifically designed for the PS, the Platinum Wireless, and still have a chunk of change left over after buying *both*.
Do Amazon not do no-quibble return/refunds in your area?
I asked for a40 because if MLE were to rereview the a50 he might as well also do the a40. But personally I'd only be interested in the a50 for the wireless convenience. Haven't used the Arctis and I don't see a reason to since i don't own an Xbox but I did try the sony headset and it's a giant ball of suck

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #43,182 of 48,562
You can use the G6 as the DAC and the Hel or Fulla as the amp, but as far as using the internal dacs, neither can, as they're usb only. For now, I'm stuck with the gimped Atmos/Sonic. I'm not touching HeSuVi, and I don't have any other VSS atm that is software based.

So feeding VSS to a dac is only possible with optical cable and not usb? If i use optical but the dac and the amp are connected with RCA the VSS signal is lost aswell? I'm talking about a normal HIFI dac (no surround sound options) which is feeded with a software VSS.

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #43,183 of 48,562
So feeding VSS to a dac is only possible with optical cable and not usb? If i use optical but the dac and the amp are connected with RCA the VSS signal is lost aswell? I'm talking about a normal HIFI dac (no surround sound options) which is feeded with a software VSS.

That would be ideal (feeding VSS via optical). For the source to remain digital it's have to be sent either via USB or optical. You're very limited on software solutions that send VSS to a DAC through USB. As opposed to external devices that can send VSS through optical.

If your DAC received a VSS signal through optical, it will remain no matter what comes after. Hell that's what I do with the Magni and Modi. I send VSS through the optical to the Modi, and the RCA of the Modi goes to the Magni, and boom, I have VSS.

The Schiit Hel and Fulla in question DO NOT have optical inputs. I can send VSS to their RCA inputs, but that just means I'm not using their dacs, and just using their internal amps. So my dac would be whatever sent that VSS through the RCA. Either my G6 or my Xonar U3. In this instance, the G6 would make a fine DAC anyways, though I wouldn't recommend the U3 if using it as a DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #43,185 of 48,562
All right, thanks for the detailed clarification!
It's important to understand that just because a DAC has VSS enabled, doesn't mean that their optical out is sending that VSS. Something like the Mixamp 5.8. If you turn on VSS, the DAC won't send that. Why? Because the optical out in this device is passthrough only. Meaning it's sending the same signal it received. Nothing the DAC did to alter it to turn it into VSS affects this.

The G6 and Xonar U3's optical out isn't passthrough. The signal they send out is affected by the DAC unless you enabled line out mode, where it won't touch the signal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back