Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #43,141 of 48,562
Has anyone tried Dolby Atmos for Headphones and DTS Sound Unbound. What do you prefer

thanks
For application to vanilla 5.1 Dolby Digital, I initially preferred DTS X for greater “out of your head” sense of depth. However the audio fidelity / quality is not as good as Atmos for headphone IMO, sounds a tad muffled in comparison. At first, I thought it was an acceptable trade-off as I had excellent experiences with DTS headphone X V2 on the Steelseries Gamedac with the PS4. However when I used it on Xbox with Witcher 3, the swirling wind and rustling foliage sound effects sounded pretty bad so I guess quality/fidelity is content dependent. So, these days I tend to try first with DTS headphone X and if it sucks then I move to Atmos, which I know will be decent if not quite as deep. The exception to this rule is if I know the game or film in question has a native Atmos soundtrack. In that instance, I will always use Atmos for headphone. The same would hold in reverse if the content featured a native DTS X soundtrack but I have never come across any such content. It’s much rarer than Atmos, particularly for gaming.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #43,143 of 48,562
Works well. I prefer to use Dolby Atmos for headphone over SBX though so I just set the G6 as my default audio device in the Windows audio manager (and activate the Dolby Atmos for headphone processing) and keep the virtual surround portion of SBX turned off. It’s a one off payment for a supposedly lifetime licence that is good for 10 windows devices.
If you have a Netflix 4k subscription and have bought the Atmos for headphone licence from the Dolby access app then any title with an Atmos soundtrack will give you height effects and a greater sense of “3D” depth. Non-Atmos surround content will just be Dolby Digital plus 5.1 so in that instance, Dolby Atmos for headphone will just act in a similar fashion to Dolby headphone virtual surround, I.e. surround but mainly confined to a flat plane (it’s supposed to upmixing to add height and depth but the effect is limited) and without out as much much depth to the center channel (and to a lesser extent the rears). There are also a few titles on Netflix that are Dolby digital 2.0 stereo only so in that instance the Atmos for headphone effect would more resemble stereo speakers in front of you.
If you don’t have a 4k Netflix subscription then 5.1 is the max available in terms of surround and the title page in the app won’t even list Atmos. It also won’t list Atmos unless you have a Dolby Atmos for headphone licence or alternatively, a true Atmos surround AV receiver set as your audio device.
Interesting..... so, you're saying the software solution (Atmos for headphone) works better than the HW solution (Creative G6)?
If that is the case - maybe I should just use Atmos for headphone license combined with a DAC/Amp like the new iFi Zen...
Again, my use case is for movies only. Not for gaming.
BTW, have you tried Darin Fong's "Out of your head" software? How does it compare to the Atmos for headphone license from the Dolby??

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #43,144 of 48,562
Is it work in way that if I cut bass in EQ k712 can performance same as k702 for gaming?

Someone will disagree with me I’m sure, but my take on the K712 for gaming is: It’s great for CASUAL gaming, movies and music. They are great sounding cans and the soundstage is huge, but I found that - at least with my setup - the imaging isn’t very good. They are very left/right in their sound portrayal, maybe due to the soundstage.... No sure. Anyways, I found that I couldn’t really use them for PUBG (my main game atm). I was A/B testing them back and forth with my HD650s during a game, and while the soundstage took a massive hit the ability to hear directions was way better on the Sennheisers. Maybe some virtual surround mix could lessen the effects, I play in stereo.

I haven’t heard the K702s though, so can’t really answer your question.

Still - what do you mean by ”gaming”? Because if you play anything other than a competetive FPS I think you’ll love them!

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #43,145 of 48,562
Interesting..... so, you're saying the software solution (Atmos for headphone) works better than the HW solution (Creative G6)?
If that is the case - maybe I should just use Atmos for headphone license combined with a DAC/Amp like the new iFi Zen...
BTW, have you tried Darin Fong's "Out of your head" software? How does it compare to the Atmos for headphone license from the Dolby??

Correct me if you will, but isn’t the Creative G6’s virtual surround also a ”software solution”? I thought the last hardware-based framework for virtual surround died out with EAX.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #43,146 of 48,562
Maybe some virtual surround mix could lessen the effects, I play in stereo.
The hrtf setting in pubg is a virtual surround mix, so if you are using that, you aren't playing in traditional stereo.

Correct me if you will, but isn’t the Creative G6’s virtual surround also a ”software solution”? I thought the last hardware-based framework for virtual surround died out with EAX.
eax is hardware environmental effects, which required all the audio to be hardware accelerated. When people use like a g6 or a gsx 1000, they are doing just the surround sound > binaural conversion in hardware.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #43,148 of 48,562
OOYH can be quite good. It really depends on the virtual room chosen and
how closely your HRTF matches Darrin Fong's or whoever else's HRTF when the PRIR for the virtual room in question was measured. The room profiles are sold individually
unless there’s a bundle or sales promotion. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the vanilla gaming package though.
Fong's OOYH also will not, AFAIK, give you anything more than 7.1. If you want to enjoy Atmos for content that supports it, you need Atmos for headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #43,149 of 48,562
Curious about the "CAL" vs Astros pad depth and comfort.

I own a pair of the Astro A10's which are similar to the other Astro lineup as far as fit, if I am not mistaken. The A10's pads are actually flat at the bottom. The synthetic fiber pads are fairly thick.

I see where the OP noted the shallow cups on the CAL's. Also they have what appears to be a less thick, pleatherette.

So, as far as comfort. I am wondering, because of my head size, if I would find the CALS comfortable compared to my comfort level with the A10's. Also, the skin on my ears is fairly sensitive. So if the CAL's fit is similar to on ear headphones, I am not sure how that would feel.

I will probably just get the CAL's and try them for myself.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #43,150 of 48,562
Hey Everyone anyone play PS4, I am just curious what headphones do you use for console? Are they the same you use for PC? Do you use an amp\dac for both systems example g6 or x3?
Also anyone try the X3 on PS4 i see on the website its checked for sxfi but didn't think that was possible

thanks

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #43,151 of 48,562
Hey Everyone anyone play PS4, I am just curious what headphones do you use for console? Are they the same you use for PC? Do you use an amp\dac for both systems example g6 or x3?
Also anyone try the X3 on PS4 i see on the website its checked for sxfi but didn't think that was possible

thanks
G6, Steelseries Gamedac, Loxjie P20

Fidelio X2, Massdrop AKG K7XX, Sennheiser HD800S.

The X3 is somewhat pointless for the PS4 in comparison to the above devices which support Dolby digital 5.1 decoding via optical which is then processed into SBX virtual surround by the G6 or DTS headphone X v2 by the Gamedac.
The X3 needs a multichannel PCM feed to process into proper virtual surround but the PS4 needs optical (or HDMI) to send multichannel audio. The PS4 is limited to stereo over USB. So X3 + PS4 would just replicate stereo speakers in front of you rather than multichannel surround speakers.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #43,152 of 48,562
G6, Steelseries Gamedac, Loxjie P20

Fidelio X2, Massdrop AKG K7XX, Sennheiser HD800S.

The X3 is somewhat pointless for the PS4 in comparison to the above devices which support Dolby digital 5.1 decoding via optical which are then processed into SBX virtual surround by the G6 or DTS headphone X v2 by the Gamedac.
The X3 needs a multichannel PCM feed to process into proper virtual surround but the PS4 needs optical (or HDMI) to send multichannel audio. The PS4 is limited to stereo over USB. So X3 + PS4 would just replicate stereo speakers in front of you rather than multichannel surround speakers.

thank you for the comment. I will look at the G6

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #43,153 of 48,562

thanks
G6 => Schiit modi 3/Jds Atom

Audeze lcd1, Philips SHP9500

I play on ps4 btw

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #43,155 of 48,562
Hey thanks I was looking at the shp9500 how are they for RPGs or are they mostly for fps
Thanks
The SHP9500 can be used for FPS gaming or RPG gaming or music or movies or other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back