Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4,261 of 48,583

Quote:
No amp for the DT-770 Pro 80? I have to disagree. Even on a Sansa Fuze with LOD to Nuforce Icon Mobile and they barely get enough volume on high gain.
The E7 should have similar results. When I had one I was kind of surprised they didn't get very loud from most portable devices.

Even the 32 ohm Beyer DT-770-990s have never been easy to drive based on my experience with them.

Hmm I may have to take back some of what I said now Tdockweiler. hmm.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4,262 of 48,583

Quote:
Hmm I may have to take back some of what I said now Tdockweiler. hmm.

I don't know..I just felt they weren't too easy to drive. Maybe they're better from an Ipod Touch or Zune HD.
I guess the best thing to do is for people to try it. I guess as long as you get enough volume.
Probably just a case of not enough volume with some sources, but still sounding decent..

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #4,263 of 48,583
Mine have no trouble with my iPod 5G. Also never had any trouble when using friends phones or 5+ year old laptops with onboard audio, the fact that it didn't sound good on those wasn't from lack of amping.

From everything I've heard the 32ohm are as hard to drive as the 250s, as screwy as that sounds.

They are. Which is why Beyer made an error with releasing the 32ohm Beyers. Don't get me wrong, they sound just as good as the 250. Their mistake was that as far as 32ohm headphones go, they're very inefficient, and sound anemic without an amp. Since they need an amp just like the 250ohm does, you may as well get the 250ohm, as they have a lower noise floor, and the higher impedance leads to more versatility in what amps to use. There are lots of amps with 5+ohm output impedance which work better with cans with 40ohms or higher.

In the case of the 32ohm Beyers, they work their bestv with amps that have less than 8ohm output impedances, which cuts out a lot of amps that technically wouldn't pair well with their impedance (like the E9 which favors headphones with over 80ohms).

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #4,264 of 48,583
So the DT 770 Pro's are sold out (unfortunately) !
So looks like i will have to wait or are there any better alternatives to it (~150$) ?

Also i agree that the dt990 are superior to the dt 770 in every way but i don't have the space (since they are open back) nor the amp to power them properly !

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #4,265 of 48,583
The DT770 Pro 80 needs an amp. Only those who run it ampless would think it doesn't. It IS easy to drive in terms of the popular Beyers, but it's bass sounds incredibly bloated without an amp, and mids are very thin, and treble very harsh. If you're going unamped, te DT770 Pro 80s are just gonna be sad for not getting proper power.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #4,266 of 48,583

Quote:
The DT770 Pro 80 needs an amp. Only those who run it ampless would think it doesn't. It IS easy to drive in terms of the popular Beyers, but it's bass sounds incredibly bloated without an amp, and mids are very thin, and treble very harsh. If you're going unamped, te DT770 Pro 80s are just gonna be sad for not getting proper power.

Good thing it were sold out then...
Anyways they were my first "real" pair of headphones so i might not even have noticed it

Any other recommendations that can give me the best of both worlds ( gaming/music with amazing comfort) that can be run without an amp but will sound better when amped ...

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #4,267 of 48,583
Quote:

I have no experience with the 80 Ohm version, but to me the 250 Ohm does not seem to change much (and I do not see the reason why it should) when powered from different sources, other than obviously the maximum volume without distortion, and minor differences due to output impedance, and general sound quality (noise etc. not related to driving headphones). I guess the 80 Ohm version is more affected by high output impedance, which would make its already muddy sound even worse.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #4,268 of 48,583
Good thing it were sold out then...
Anyways they were my first "real" pair of headphones so i might not even have noticed it

Any other recommendations that can give me the best of both worlds ( gaming/music with amazing comfort) that can be run without an amp but will sound better when amped ...

The Creative Aurvana Live is like a baby DT770 Pro 80, and doesn't scale much with amping. They're also heavily discounted at times. They make a fresh first pair of serious cans, and to me are incredibly comfortable.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #4,269 of 48,583

Quote:
The Creative Aurvana Live is like a baby DT770 Pro 80, and doesn't scale much with amping. They're also heavily discounted at times. They make a fresh first pair of serious cans, and to me are incredibly comfortable.

I don't live in the US so I probably won't get much discounts
btw any of you know a good place to order headphones internationally ?

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #4,270 of 48,583
Quote:

Hmmm I always thought the 770s bass issues were more an output impedance issue. Anyways, this is why try before you buy when possible is always a good idea for headphones.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4,271 of 48,583
The post was wrote over 6 months ago.

Is this still up to date?
I mean i can't imagine there are not new ''good'' headsets.

I'm also looking for a new headset but there are a few problems for me:

1st i dont have any kind of amp, when looking on internet its hard to buy in the Netherlands.
2nd i dont got a big budget 200 euro max, that is like 250dollars if i am correct.
3rd. I like gaming , so most ofd you would say AD700 right? But the problem is that I hear alot of reviews that the music from it sucks.

I would be verry pleased if people could advise me good headsets, i have been looking for 8 up to 10 hours.
And the only thing I become whiser of is that I do want to soundwhore in games, but also want to enjoy music like a baws!

Regards,
PsyKoZe

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #4,272 of 48,583
The problem with the AD700 is it doesn't have hardly any bass. But music doesnt suck from it. It just not good for any thing that's bass heavy or have bass as the main beat.  The closed back A700 does have bass but at the cost of the sound stage being smaller then the open back AD700.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #4,273 of 48,583
Quote:
The post was wrote over 6 months ago.

Is this still up to date?
I mean i can't imagine there are not new ''good'' headsets.

I'm also looking for a new headset but there are a few problems for me:

1st i dont have any kind of amp, when looking on internet its hard to buy in the Netherlands.
2nd i dont got a big budget 200 euro max, that is like 250dollars if i am correct.
3rd. I like gaming , so most ofd you would say AD700 right? But the problem is that I hear alot of reviews that the music from it sucks.

I would be verry pleased if people could advise me good headsets, i have been looking for 8 up to 10 hours.
And the only thing I become whiser of is that I do want to soundwhore in games, but also want to enjoy music like a baws!

Regards,
PsyKoZe

MLE has gone back and updated the first post a few times since it was posted. Also gaming headsets don't exactly come out every week, especially not the high profile companies we like to look at who spend years on R&D. There aren't a whole lot of top tier headphones that don't essentially require an amp but my sub $200 setup will be my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms with a Antlion ModMic when it arrives. That way I'll effectively have a headset without paying a big premium for something like the MX300. Of course I'm biased here so take it with a grain of salt, I hope to get a better feel for them amp'd when my E17 from Miccastore comes this week. They're 80ohm so they don't have a whole lot of volume issues unlike most higher impedance cans, however they are a little picky about their source. One time I plugged them into an older Dell laptop for fun and had no volume issues, but they sounded worse than my $20 and falling apart Creative Fatal1ty headset. Should meet your needs for both gaming and music, though the 990s best them noticeably in SQ but will require an amp. If your budget was a little higher (and I'm sure shipping to Europe raises the prices a lot) you could do something like 880/990+E17+Xonar+ModMic

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #4,274 of 48,583
The problem is: My parents, yea sigh, but they pay it for me as a gift.
So i cant buy any good amp like the one from astro ect.

But I did find a site were i could buy this one :
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro the 250 ohm

For the rest the PC 360 is availible and the AD700 and the Sennheiser 598.

But you did talk alot about the ''more geekie way'' (No i am not hating, i just dont understand what you mean)
I am not that formilliar with all the technical specs.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #4,275 of 48,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also i agree that the dt990 are superior to the dt 770 in every way but i don't have the space (since they are open back) nor the amp to power them properly !

I have to disagree with this. I run the 990 pro on the Fiio E6 and for the time beeing this is absolutely sufficient. It might not satisfy some people on here, but for people just getting into good headphones (like me) this absolutely works and is a good enough setup to have some fun with imho.

This however brings me to the question if I should get the Astro Mixamp pro instead of the Fiio E17. Are those 2 comparable? I am still confused what´s a DAC and what´s an amp and all that...
I will be using the Amp/DAC (or whatever) like 85 % of the time with my TV (Blu Ray, Xbox, digital cable box - all digital outs) that has no digital outs and 15 % with either my iPod/iPhone or my MacBook for music or DVDs.
And just from looking at it and going through it´s features I find the Astro Mixamp pretty interesting... but hard to tell for me right now what best would suits me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back