Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #42,017 of 48,562
So any comments on the experiment here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...ana-trio-added.534479/page-2801#post-14792417

I can solve the dolby headphone set (tell which one starts from the front, and which one starts from behind). But I don't know how much of this is because I use dolby headphone dh2 regularly anyway, so I already have much experience with the head and environment model being used. The stereo set, for me, appears unsolvable, but I don't know, maybe someone who exclusively plays in stereo can do better.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #42,018 of 48,562
mayflower is probably visible in windows just as a stereo device - so that would mean NO.
what i can tell you is that i am running g6 + hesuvi gsx and it sounds good but dont know if identical to hardware GSX 1000.
I'm confused about this... I thought with HeSuVi you needed to have stereo hardware (or a G6 in stereo mode for example) as you don't want duplicate VSS processing. I haven't used the software yet so maybe someone else can chime in, but I assumed it would emulate a 7.1 output to Windows to allow the game to output 7.1, then it would apply the VSS algorithm into binaural stereo and output to your stereo DAC (external or onboard).

This is why I assumed I could have VSS with the Mayflower Arc.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #42,019 of 48,562
I'm confused about this... I thought with HeSuVi you needed to have stereo hardware (or a G6 in stereo mode for example) as you don't want duplicate VSS processing. I haven't used the software yet so maybe someone else can chime in, but I assumed it would emulate a 7.1 output to Windows to allow the game to output 7.1, then it would apply the VSS algorithm into binaural stereo and output to your stereo DAC (external or onboard).

This is why I assumed I could have VSS with the Mayflower Arc.

but you still need the game to output 5.1/7/1 which most of the time they wont unless you set your audio device in windows to 5.1/7.1.
if you cant set your dac to 5.1/7.1 you will need a workaround like that:

https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/Help/#voicemeeter-workaround-for-surround-sound

but idk about latency then

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #42,020 of 48,562
but you still need the game to output 5.1/7/1 which most of the time they wont unless you set your audio device in windows to 5.1/7.1.
if you cant set your dac to 5.1/7.1 you will need a workaround like that:

https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/Help/#voicemeeter-workaround-for-surround-sound

but idk about latency then
Sorry that doesn't make sense. Then you would be processing VSS twice which I'd think is a bad idea.

I think you need Equalizer APO and emulate the 7.1 to Windows so your game can output 7.1 for HeSuVi to handle:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Can anyone else chime in? I don't believe HeSuVi was intended for use with a subsequent 7.1 DSP.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #42,021 of 48,562
Sorry that doesn't make sense. Then you would be processing VSS twice which I'd think is a bad idea.

I think you need Equalizer APO and emulate the 7.1 to Windows so your game can output 7.1 for HeSuVi to handle

before the 7.1 signal reaches g6 it is already processed by hesuvi.
then g6 can only modify front left and front right channels, but i even doubt it will do anything since all other channels will be silence after hesuvi.
i compared between g6 + hesuvi gsx and alc1220 + hesuvi gsx, i can hear no difference.
also when using g6 + hesuvi gsx the rear and side channel separation is much better then g6's builtin sbx vss so that kinda confirms it.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #42,022 of 48,562

I think you need Equalizer APO and emulate the 7.1 to Windows so your game can output 7.1 for HeSuVi to handle:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Can anyone else chime in? I don't believe HeSuVi was intended for use with a subsequent 7.1 DSP.

It has more to do with the game. For a game to output 7.1, it has to see you are using a 7.1 dac. You can't configure a lot of audiophile dacs to be 7.1 in windows. So you have to use voicemeeter to create a fake 7.1 device. This tricks the game into outputting 7.1.

After that, equalizer apo and hesuvi can convert the 7.1 to binaural audio.

With sound cards and integrated audio, you often can just directly set them to 7.1, and can skip the voicemeeter step.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #42,023 of 48,562
It has more to do with the game. For a game to output 7.1, it has to see you are using a 7.1 dac. You can't configure a lot of audiophile dacs to be 7.1 in windows. So you have to use voicemeeter to create a fake 7.1 device.
So if you set the GSX 1000 or the G6 to 7.1, game outputs 7.1, HeSuVi runs VSS algorithm, output to said DAC/Amp, another VSS is applied then output to your stereo cans? I'm definitely not going that route. I don't even see the point, probably because I'm a newb.

I'm pretty sure VBCable will emulate 7.1 to Windows when you have a stereo DAC. I'm pretty sure software like NX Waves and Atmos for Headphones don't require a 7.1 DAC.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #42,024 of 48,562
So if you set the GSX 1000 or the G6 to 7.1, game outputs 7.1, HeSuVi runs VSS algorithm, output to said DAC/Amp, another VSS is applied then output to your stereo cans? I'm definitely not going that route. I don't even see the point, probably because I'm a newb.

I'm pretty sure VBCable will emulate 7.1 to Windows when you have a stereo DAC. I'm pretty sure software like NX Waves and Atmos for Headphones don't require a 7.1 DAC.

If you are using hesuvi, you would turn off VSS on the device obviously. Or if you are using VSS on the device, you wouldn't use hesuvi. The purpose of hesuvi is to get virtual surround sound when you otherwise won't have any.

You can use vbcable also, sure. I don't know how dolby access works, apparently it can provide 7.1 virtual surround sound without a 7.1 dac with recent windows updates. I'm pretty sure waves nx would require a 7.1 dac or explicit 7.1 format support in the application to get the benefits of virtual surround sound.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #42,026 of 48,562
If you are using hesuvi, you would turn off VSS on the device obviously. Or if you are using VSS on the device, you wouldn't use hesuvi.

yes, of course, ideally you would want to do that to be absolutely sure they dont mix.
but, as it is now, you can't do that with g6 because it doesn't have the ability to disable vss on the front hp output.
you can however verify that when hesuvi is enabled sound cards SEND ONLY SILENCE through their c/sub, rear and side outputs (card/mobo physical outputs).
essentialy hesuvi applies vss to 7.1 game output and then encapsulates hrtfed stereo signal in 5.1/7.1 format and sends that to the output device.
and then even hardware vss like g6 can't do anything (and can't brake anything) because it doesn't have the data to work with.

i asked /u/Creative_Ryan for the option to disable their vss, in general i would say that they seem to be open to suggestions, maybe they will provide it down the road if enough people ask:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast...er_g6_discussion_thread_introduction/egwi0w9/

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #42,029 of 48,562
no, that just adjusts the amount of reverb. you cant turn off the vss currently.

There are many people who own creative gear who can chime in (I don't have one), but I'm pretty sure sbx surround is creative's vss technology. In this context, vss being the use of hrtf to maintain the spatial information in a surround sound mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back