Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 26, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #41,267 of 48,562
Mad why do you care so much about virtual surround if all you're excited about are 2D games?
Hahaha. You're so right!

To be fair, aside from reviewing, I hardly use headphones nowadays. When I do it's usually my PortaPro wireless, lol. I actually DON'T care much about virtual surround gaming these days. I mean, for the sake of you guys, and for people who do use headphones regularly, I hold a lot of importance for virtual surround gaming. So I approach these reviews and whatnot as if I'm still heavily into gaming with headphones. Dont get me wrong, if I use my big cans, I still very much only use them with virtual surround. But most of the time, I'm just lazy and don;'t wanna be tethered to anything and like to lay down. That's where my Portapro wireless comes in. Especially the fact I don't use them with their headband but with the ksc75 clips attached instead. It's so much freedom.

If there was a Koss Portapro wireless with virtual surround, believe me, I'd still be very invested. :wink:

Fege, sorry man. I'll definitely relay to them that they NEED settings to be locked as soon as you set them.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #41,268 of 48,562
First i would like to say thank you for the absolutely amazing amount of reviews, research and time that went into this post.

I have a Xbox One, a Astro A40 TR headset+MixAmp M80 and have spent a lot of time researching potential amps lately.

The mixamp M80 just isn't enough for me, being as i am hard of hearing. Music is fine with it, but when it comes to the highs, footsteps, and subtle gaming changing stealth listening it falls short.
Chat is also leaving something to be desired. It is there, i can hear it, but not quite loud, clear and crisp enough to understand at times. Of course that could be something on the persons microphone who is speaking so i cant completely fault the mixamp M80 for that.

I am considering the new Sound BlasterX G6 as it does fall within my budget(up to $150 range) and the rated decibel levels are loud enough for my hearing level.

My concern is while reviewing the specifications for the Xbox One is it says that "Voice communications not supported"

I assume this means for example that gaming chat with your party in say Battlefield V or BO4 is not possible?

And if not, how might one be able to rig this up so that chat is possible, perhaps with a additional external microphone attached to the controller?

Any clarification, alternate amp choices and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #41,269 of 48,562
First i would like to say thank you for the absolutely amazing amount of reviews, research and time that went into this post.

I have a Xbox One, a Astro A40 TR headset+MixAmp M80 and have spent a lot of time researching potential amps lately.

The mixamp M80 just isn't enough for me, being as i am hard of hearing. Music is fine with it, but when it comes to the highs, footsteps, and subtle gaming changing stealth listening it falls short.
Chat is also leaving something to be desired. It is there, i can hear it, but not quite loud, clear and crisp enough to understand at times. Of course that could be something on the persons microphone who is speaking so i cant completely fault the mixamp M80 for that.

I am considering the new Sound BlasterX G6 as it does fall within my budget(up to $150 range) and the rated decibel levels are loud enough for my hearing level.

My concern is while reviewing the specifications for the Xbox One is it says that "Voice communications not supported"

I assume this means for example that gaming chat with your party in say Battlefield V or BO4 is not possible?

And if not, how might one be able to rig this up so that chat is possible, perhaps with a additional external microphone attached to the controller?

Any clarification, alternate amp choices and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Basically, if you're on Xbox then you're screwed when it comes to chat audio. I believe only Mixamp TR natively supports usb for chat, all other devices require a splitter to be plugged into the controller. if you have a PC nearby, use the Xbox app for chat, otherwise, buy a 3.5mm splitter plug it into the controller and plug your microphone into that.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #41,270 of 48,562
The mix-amp M80 just isn't enough for me, being as i am hard of hearing. Music is fine with it, but when it comes to the highs, footsteps, and subtle gaming changing stealth listening it falls short.
Chat is also leaving something to be desired. It is there, i can hear it, but not quite loud, clear and crisp enough to understand at times. Of course that could be something on the persons microphone who is speaking so i cant completely fault the mix-amp M80 for that.
If the Xbox does not support a voice communication feature, can't see how replacing the mix-amp would fix that issue.
But i would expect the Sound blaster X G6 to provide you with louder (and clearer) audio.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #41,271 of 48,562
Basically, if you're on Xbox then you're screwed when it comes to chat audio. I believe only Mixamp TR natively supports usb for chat, all other devices require a splitter to be plugged into the controller. if you have a PC nearby, use the Xbox app for chat, otherwise, buy a 3.5mm splitter plug it into the controller and plug your microphone into that.

I have a 3.5mm splitter i use for the PC that goes from a single 3.5 female 4 post jack and splits into 2 male 3 post jacks. One for headset, one for microphone. Would that work?

I do indeed have a PC and i am curious about the Xbox app for chat. My headset is sooo much better and louder on PC compared to my current setup on Xbox one S. Other players are also to hear me through this app?

If the Xbox does not support a voice communication feature, can't see how replacing the mix-amp would fix that issue.
But i would expect the Sound blaster X G6 to provide you with louder (and clearer) audio.

Right, really seems absurd but hey, i suppose it comes with the territory when it comes to Xbox and microsoft. At some point i am going to have to give playstation a try.
Some mixamps like the M80 and the mixamp TR pro will support chat functions no problem. Unfortunately, from experience the M80 is lacking for me.
I am not yet sure on the Astro TR pro mixamp as the decibel output is rated at 100 db. I am not sure how much better that is in comparison to
the reported power output of the mixamp M80 which is 0.973 Vrms @ 1kHz. I do know the M80 is powered by the controller, so the decibel level cant really be driven all that much i would think.
If anyone knows the decibel output of the M80 i sure would like to know what it is for comparison purposes.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #41,272 of 48,562
I have a 3.5mm splitter i use for the PC that goes from a single 3.5 female 4 post jack and splits into 2 male 3 post jacks. One for headset, one for microphone. Would that work?
I do indeed have a PC and i am curious about the Xbox app for chat. My headset is sooo much better and louder on PC compared to my current setup on Xbox one S. Other players are also to hear me through this app?
Right, really seems absurd but hey, i suppose it comes with the territory when it comes to Xbox and microsoft. At some point i am going to have to give playstation a try.
Some mixamps like the M80 and the mixamp TR pro will support chat functions no problem. Unfortunately, from experience the M80 is lacking for me.
I am not yet sure on the Astro TR pro mixamp as the decibel output is rated at 100 db. I am not sure how much better that is in comparison to
the reported power output of the mixamp M80 which is 0.973 Vrms @ 1kHz. I do know the M80 is powered by the controller, so the decibel level cant really be driven all that much i would think.
If anyone knows the decibel output of the M80 i sure would like to know what it is for comparison purposes.
I've bought my nephews a Nintendo gaming console, two Xbox consoles, and last one was a PS4, all they use now is the PS4, they have not asked me to buy an Xbox game in years, just PS4 games.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #41,278 of 48,562
Is there an advantage to using the Super XFi amp with a Sound Blaster X7 or an E5? I just don't understand how it's supposed to work yet. Does it fully replace those devices? If so, why did they even bother to release the G6?

I would assume the Creative X7 does everything you need, so no need to use the Super X-Fi amplifier or E5.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #41,279 of 48,562
Wouldn't the USB Host port take care of that?
USB Host port is for plugging in mobile devices such as smartphones. It doesn't accept digital microphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back