Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #40,276 of 48,562
I'm here trying it on Destiny 2, and it's 100% not doing anything. It's stereo as stereo comes. This is annoying.
The Atmos plug in expires after 30 days. The Sonic should work.

May 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #40,278 of 48,562
Did you ever take the Sony MDR-Z7 into consideration as a closed can for gaming? IMHO it is a great choice. Great bass for immersion, wide soundstage, wider than lots of open cans easy to drive and comfortable like not many others.

Unfortunately wooly bass (distortion, not great control) and not really extending a lot down low, more focussed/bumped in the midbass. Soundstage is rather wide for a closed but not much air to be found, like the GSP 600.
MLE is used to ultra fast low distortion bass, like Audeze and Fostex.

Speaking of Audeze. I got a LCD-2C in da house.

May 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #40,279 of 48,562
Unfortunately wooly bass (distortion, not great control) and not really extending a lot down low, more focussed/bumped in the midbass. Soundstage is rather wide for a closed but not much air to be found, like the GSP 600.
MLE is used to ultra fast low distortion bass, like Audeze and Fostex.

Speaking of Audeze. I got a LCD-2C in da house.

You'd better get your mic working! But I am interested in how you like the LCD 2 for sure, as I have the Mobius incoming.
The Sony Z7 and Z1R bass concept is widely misunderstood btw. The subbass is actually received by the skin of the earlobe as physical impact rather than by the eardrum. The HD800 can mimic that too with its large driver but is not tuned to really deliver on that part. Maybe it measures not ideal, but it feels incredible. Real impact instead of measurements. But it takes some time to get that.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #40,280 of 48,562
Well, it's what I was hearing when I was comparing it with cleaner bass like the TH-900, Audezes, also HD800. Owned the Z7 years ago.

The LCD-2 Classic is almost like the pre-fazor, except it's faster, slightly brighter up top in very few areas and ultimately less "romantic", which kinda is a pity as it would make this headphone stand out a bit more. Yet still it's rather cheap for a LCD-2 and you get the classic Audeze house sound with it's strong technicalities and intimate presentation, just faster, more reactive. It really is made for pop and rock. Put it on and dance away for 599 Dollars or 600 pounds. Bass response is linear as usual but exceptionally clean and very rich in texture/detail. Typical Audeze. It's not like the TH-900 though, that's a different concept of bass "presentation". Mids are beautifull, very clean and generally warm, slightly dipped in the upper registers though. That's where the (almost) linearity stops and takes a downward slope until a few peaks above 7Khz.

Soundstage is unsurprisingly not something the LCD-2 series shined, especially in width and cohorence (like HD 800). It has pretty good depth though and if you aren't bothered by the HD 650's stage then you'll at least get better depth here while battering it in immersion due to its cleanliness and very potent bass that goes down low.
Audeze offers a VST plugin called "Reveal" which "corrects" their headphones making them much more linear than the default tuning for the case you might need such a thing. You can use it in your favorite media player that supports plugins or you can even set it up globally through Equalizer APO and activate/deactivate it manually. You could for instance combine Reveal + SBX + EQ.

I still need a mic setup like the SBZ's mic that you can place above your monitor, but I can't find the package right now.

May 22, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #40,281 of 48,562
I got the free trial, but turning on spatial and whatever didn't change the sound. Dunno why.

It's because dolby atmos for headphones and windows sonic for headphones change the windows speaker configuration to stereo. A lot of applications see this and then refuse to output surround sound for some reason. It's a weird catch 22. I think I said this before, but ironically, the hesuvi version of those DSPs allows you to keep windows as 7.1. So it ends up having greater compatibility than the official versions.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #40,283 of 48,562
Again closed vs open. They are different. I think I've said enough about them in the review so you understand the differences. Positional/directional cues are amazing on both. MMX300 has better bass immersion but not as strong midrange, and sparklier treble. Soundstage is different because of open vs closed, but the MMX300 is one of those closed headphones with a stellar soundstage. 598/GO obviously have a bigger soundstage due to the open nature.

They aren't comparable. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the MMX300 mainly because they are more engaging for MY needs. If I was 100% about competitive gaming, I'd choose the Game One. I play single player or casual multiplayer games 99% of the time so I prefer the MMX300.

If they were both just headphones, I could say they compliment each other well that having both would make sense.

I'm not gonna say more on the matter.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #40,284 of 48,562
Again the typical Beyer sound versus the typical Sennheiser sound.

May 25, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #40,285 of 48,562
Again closed vs open. They are different. I think I've said enough about them in the review so you understand the differences. Positional/directional cues are amazing on both. MMX300 has better bass immersion but not as strong midrange, and sparklier treble. Soundstage is different because of open vs closed, but the MMX300 is one of those closed headphones with a stellar soundstage. 598/GO obviously have a bigger soundstage due to the open nature.

They aren't comparable. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the MMX300 mainly because they are more engaging for MY needs. If I was 100% about competitive gaming, I'd choose the Game One. I play single player or casual multiplayer games 99% of the time so I prefer the MMX300.

If they were both just headphones, I could say they compliment each other well that having both would make sense.

I'm not gonna say more on the matter.

:facepalm:

My fault. :) I totally glossed that part again. Thank you so much for all of your help and wisdom! Sidenote - I got my AE-5 working! I had to disable fast boot in W10, not in the bios.

May 29, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #40,286 of 48,562
Hi guys, I know this question has been asked before but any help would be appreciated.

IEM’s for gaming what are the best ones currently in your opinion? I can spend anywhere from 1-2k on a pair, as I say I know this question has been asked before but from my research those are from older threads and websites from as far back as 2014-16 but can not fond anything of substance that’s up to date on 2018 as technology has come a long way and I know there’s a fair few iems out now that are up there with some of the best totl full size headphones.

I game a lot so sound stage and bass is obviously important I also listen to music a lot as well rock, edm, hiphop etc so something that could tick all those boxes would be great.

I already have a hugo 2 as my desktop/portable amp/dac so I’m all set in that department and like I said price really isn’t a major factor as long as they’re good and tick all the boxes above.

I’ve owned, ether flow, Aeon closed back, focal utopia and hd800s all amazing headphones but I just can’t stand having things on my head anymore for long periods of time and really want to get something much more comfortable and portable.

If there are any users of IEMs that could give me some advice that would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any help it’s greatly appreciated

May 29, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #40,287 of 48,562
Hi guys, I know this question has been asked before but any help would be appreciated.

IEM’s for gaming what are the best ones currently in your opinion? I can spend anywhere from 1-2k on a pair, as I say I know this question has been asked before but from my research those are from older threads and websites from as far back as 2014-16 but can not fond anything of substance that’s up to date on 2018 as technology has come a long way and I know there’s a fair few iems out now that are up there with some of the best totl full size headphones.

I game a lot so sound stage and bass is obviously important I also listen to music a lot as well rock, edm, hiphop etc so something that could tick all those boxes would be great.

I already have a hugo 2 as my desktop/portable amp/dac so I’m all set in that department and like I said price really isn’t a major factor as long as they’re good and tick all the boxes above.

I’ve owned, ether flow, Aeon closed back, focal utopia and hd800s all amazing headphones but I just can’t stand having things on my head anymore for long periods of time and really want to get something much more comfortable and portable.

If there are any users of IEMs that could give me some advice that would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any help it’s greatly appreciated

Have you tried the planar iems yet? Because they're open back, I'd think they might be pretty good for gaming. Monoprice has some at decent prices. Audeze obviously. I love planars for gaming, but don't own iems. Any I do aren't open and I wouldn't game with. Good luck, please post back results!

May 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #40,289 of 48,562
Quick query for anyone with a PS4...

So I recently discovered that plugging my earbuds into the PS4 dual shock controller hp jack actually works surprisingly well. Just Monk + buds but it sounds really good. I decided i’d Like to give it a try with headphones too so I plugged my FiiO Q1 into the hp jack and tried it with my AKG K240 but for some reason it didn’t seem like the Q1 was providing any power boost over what the jack gave me. Other sources thru the Q1 gives me lots of volume, but not the jack on the ds controller. My question is this: is there some peculiarity about the jack on the controller that would prevent it from working with the amp? Seems to me it should work just like it does with the hp jack on my iPad...

May 31, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #40,290 of 48,562
Quick query for anyone with a PS4...

So I recently discovered that plugging my earbuds into the PS4 dual shock controller hp jack actually works surprisingly well. Just Monk + buds but it sounds really good. I decided i’d Like to give it a try with headphones too so I plugged my FiiO Q1 into the hp jack and tried it with my AKG K240 but for some reason it didn’t seem like the Q1 was providing any power boost over what the jack gave me. Other sources thru the Q1 gives me lots of volume, but not the jack on the ds controller. My question is this: is there some peculiarity about the jack on the controller that would prevent it from working with the amp? Seems to me it should work just like it does with the hp jack on my iPad...

That's because the way power works compared to how volume levels rise. DOUBLE the power only gives you just a few decibel's boost. In many cases, not very noticeable.

You would need an amp many, MANY times more powerful than the headphone jack amp on the controller to notice a real increase. So no, just some little Fiio amp will not do. Power requirements per volume level does not scale linearly.

Also the AKG 240 may not be sensitive enough for the Q1, but I dunno about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back