Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #40,036 of 48,562
What you read was my post from VERY LONG AGO, when it wasn't fully functional. The X7 works wonders nowadays.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #40,037 of 48,562
Wow, ok, so I decided to put the MMX300 velours on the Custom One Pro aka Custom Game, and man what a difference it makes. It immediately expanded the soundstage and airiness of the sound.

I mean, call me crazy, but it definitely sounds better, and I'm not just saying that because I prefer velours in comfort. it really does sound a hair brighter/airy/detailed. The congestion is gone.

The velours sucks out some warmth, but it can be offset by changing the bass port for more bass.

Switching back to the MMX300 and putting the velours back on, the MMX300 is definitely a superior headset, but man considering how muich cheaper the COP/Custom Game is, if one could find 770 velours for cheap, it'd be a very nice, cheaper alternative.

Changing the pads back to the faux leather, the COP/Game still sounds good, but definitely darker.

Hmm, if only someone made upgrade velour pads for headphones, if only, if only...

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-elite-velour-earpad-set-beyerdynamic-dt-770-880-990/

If you’ve ever wanted velour pads for a DT770, COP, or MMX300, our pads have a few features that are an upgrade over the famous standard Beyerdynamic pads. These have a flat face-facing surface to maintain the bass transmission to your ear, slow-rebound memory foam which traps heat less than pleather pads but maintain better isolation than stock velour pads, and the velour surface itself features a tighter weave and fantastic softness.

We also make upgrade pads for AKG, Focal, Sennheiser, and many other brands... we even have velour pads for the Beats Studio.

Mad, despite your name, we don’t think you’re crazy. Pads are one of the easiest and biggest impact mods you can make on a headphone, and we’re working on publishing measurement results from putting our pads on different headphones.

Last edited:
Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #40,039 of 48,562
I read that its working not perfect. Did you try it on Ps4?
I did,it requires bt-w2 tranitter for chat audio but if you have both then I TT's a dre device

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #40,040 of 48,562
Has anyone been able to test or spend some time with the Sennheiser GSP 500 here?? Thought I'd try the Steelseries Pro + GameDAC on my PS4 Pro yesterday but was massively underwhelmed and sent it straight back. Gone back to my Fidelio X2, VModa Boom Pro and SMSL 793 DAC/Amp.

Want to keep the Fidelio just for music and in honest don't find them perhaps as comfy as most plus the GSP500 add a more convenient volume control and my preferred flip to mute. Just concerned audio-wise they may be a backwards step to the Fidelios?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #40,041 of 48,562
Hello all.
Still dipping my toes in this area and looking for some advice.
I game solely on PS4. Current set up is switching between a mixamp pro tr (with a fiio or topping amp)for games and an smsl m3 for music, mainly to DT990 premiums or occasionally mdr1a for a bit more fun.
I’ll be honest I find the mixamp underwhelming. I tend to use the m3 for gaming more and more as I prefer the sound. However, I do appreciate surround to my cans and mix that feature after a while.
Been looking long and hard at the creative x7 as an all in one solution.
So I guess what I’m asking is...
Is the x7 better than my above setup?
Musically and for gaming?
Any advantage to getting the x7 limited edition?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #40,043 of 48,562
I have the Philips Fidelio X1’s and the GSX 1000. I used to use the Astro Mixamp Pro TR, and there is absolutely no comparison.

I have GSP 600’s coming next week and 500’s when they become available on Amazon. I am looking for a worthy replacement for the aging X1’s. They’re fine, I just want to be ready.

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #40,044 of 48,562
Got the GSP500 now for a few days (overclockers uk have stock if interested).

Not the most comfortable headset I ever had I must say.

Currently I’m not using it with anything else than the controllers.

Dualshock4 is not powerful enough. Headset needs to be on full volume to get “loud”. The Xbox controller is better and headset volume is down to about 80% to achieve same as DualShock4 on full volume. It’s strange as the cloud alpha is a 62 ohm headset but gets louder on the DS4 than the 28ohm rated GSP500 (both controllers are set to max volume in options).

You shouldn’t use a headset like this with a crappy source like the controllers anyway but Sound itself is quite good considering the weak source I use it with.

Dolby Atmos for headphones from the Xbox one controller is actually really good with this headset.

When using it with better gear (tested it briefly with chord mojo which I use on consoles sometimes) the headphones are easily on 598, 599 level.

Great clean bass, crisp but not fatiguing highs and overall clear presentation with good soundstage.

This is also the downside. £200 headset which sounds as good as a £100 (£120 maybe with added mic). You do the maths.

It’s just the comfort that is really bad at the moment. Yes, you can adjust the clamp with the sliders but the padding on the valour pads and band are not very thick and they just sit very strange on my avarage head very there is constant pressure under the ears where the jaw starts. It might get better with time.

Currently I find the cloud alphas better.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #40,045 of 48,562
Has anyone been able to test or spend some time with the Sennheiser GSP 500 here?? Thought I'd try the Steelseries Pro + GameDAC on my PS4 Pro yesterday but was massively underwhelmed and sent it straight back. Gone back to my Fidelio X2, VModa Boom Pro and SMSL 793 DAC/Amp.

Want to keep the Fidelio just for music and in honest don't find them perhaps as comfy as most plus the GSP500 add a more convenient volume control and my preferred flip to mute. Just concerned audio-wise they may be a backwards step to the Fidelios?

I bought the Steelseries Pro + GameDAC on launch day and returned it immediately too. The surround wasn’t convincing at all and the volume was way too quiet. Went with a MixAmp and A40, it’s much better in my opinion I use it with my HD800 unless I need chat then I just use the Astro headset.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #40,046 of 48,562
well, I had the same problem with the GSP 600. Not surprised the 500 seems to have the same or similar problems since it uses the same headband mechanic. Sennheiser seemingly tried hard but turns out these are the first and only Sennheisers that gave me discomfort. :| :head_bandage:

anyway, people, try HESUVI. Give it a shot. Buy any 7.1 card with either good analog outs (Xonar STX etc.) or any 7.1 device with optical/coax out (also Xonars like the U3). "Unified Xonar" driven PCIe cards should be a no brainer in general.

Change between SBX, DHT/DHP and other solutions with a single click. Modify LS arrangement, EQ, boost etc..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #40,047 of 48,562
Hmm, if only someone made upgrade velour pads for headphones, if only, if only...

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-elite-velour-earpad-set-beyerdynamic-dt-770-880-990/

If you’ve ever wanted velour pads for a DT770, COP, or MMX300, our pads have a few features that are an upgrade over the famous standard Beyerdynamic pads. These have a flat face-facing surface to maintain the bass transmission to your ear, slow-rebound memory foam which traps heat less than pleather pads but maintain better isolation than stock velour pads, and the velour surface itself features a tighter weave and fantastic softness.

We also make upgrade pads for AKG, Focal, Sennheiser, and many other brands... we even have velour pads for the Beats Studio.

Mad, despite your name, we don’t think you’re crazy. Pads are one of the easiest and biggest impact mods you can make on a headphone, and we’re working on publishing measurement results from putting our pads on different headphones.

I heard of your stuff, but haven't had a chance to try any. Perhaps you'd like to send some pads out for testing/impressions for this guide? I atm have at home the MMX300, COP, HE-400 Rev. 2 (pads are to be placed on plastic rings of hell which then mount to the HE400), Audio Technica M50 Limited Edition, Creative Aurvana Live. The Sennheiser Game One as well, though the pad repaclement on those aren't just wrap around. The rest of the stuff at home are on ears, and not typical to use with other pads. Send me a pm, we'll talk?

I'm one of those guys that would love to always have a pad alternative for headphones that come with pleather/leather. I nmuch prefer to have velour/cloth at the very least where it rests on my skin. I had bought some Focus pads for the HE400 which kinda ruined the bass on the HE400, and some Audeze leather free pads on the HE400 that recessed the mids too much. I found the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads to work well enough.

well, I had the same problem with the GSP 600. Not surprised the 500 seems to have the same or similar problems since it uses the same headband mechanic. Sennheiser seemingly tried hard but turns out these are the first and only Sennheisers that gave me discomfort. :| :head_bandage:

anyway, people, try HESUVI. Give it a shot. Buy any 7.1 card with either good analog outs (Xonar STX etc.) or any 7.1 device with optical/coax out (also Xonars like the U3). "Unified Xonar" driven PCIe cards should be a no brainer in general.

Change between SBX, DHT/DHP and other solutions with a single click. Modify LS arrangement, EQ, boost etc..

Like Fege says, you all really do need to try this. It has stuff like Dolby Atmos, Sennheiser's GSX, Creative's SBX, and some other cool dsps that work like the real deal. I'm happy with just SBX on my X7, but if I wasn't I'd definitely try out Hesuvi for the other surround dsps.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #40,048 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy What are your opinions on the Sennheiser PC37X, I just picked these up bc I was a huge fan of my old PC 360 that died many years ago, but after a short run with them the soundstage doesn't seem as good? Maybe its just expectations, maybe I need more time with them, have you had any experience with them?

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #40,049 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy What are your opinions on the Sennheiser PC37X, I just picked these up bc I was a huge fan of my old PC 360 that died many years ago, but after a short run with them the soundstage doesn't seem as good? Maybe its just expectations, maybe I need more time with them, have you had any experience with them?

Read my Game One review. It's the same headphone with different accessories.

Best in mind that when I say it has more sub bass presence, I literally meant more rumble in the mix than I expected, but not that it has a lot of it. I need to change my review to reflect this, since I make it sound like it's more than it is.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #40,050 of 48,562
Does anyone know if there's a way to connect the Hugo 2 to a playstaion 4 using the bluetooth? I tried but it says the device won't work on the ps4 when I try to connect it even though it shows up.

Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction of someone who has maybe done this?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back