Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #39,976 of 48,566
Hello

Here is my "non-audiophile" review of the 3 headsets that I recently purchased - GSP 600, HD 598SR, and Game One (all by Sennheiser). Rated from least favorite to my favorite. For sound source I used the onboard sound package that came with the Gigabyte Aorus Z370 gaming 7 motherboard , which is Realtek ALC 1220+ ESS Sabre 9018 DAC.
I mainly tested these headsets in Battlefield 1 and Vermintide 2 with Battlefield 1 profile enabled in settings and with the headphone amp set to "on" and level 3.Volume percentage was at around 50% to 70%. Anything beyond that they sounded way too loud for me.

IMG_5514.jpgIMG_5517.jpgIMG_5529.jpgIMG_5526.jpg
Sennheiser HD 598

Build Quality and looks

Decent build with faux leather and velour ear cups. Overall it seemed sturdy enough. Minimalistic looks all black with some silver accents. Rubber cables and probably the hardest cable to unplug and plug back in. Perfect fit for pretty much any setting.

Sound Quality

Best sound stage , great for gaming, crisp clear sound. The lack of a decent amount of bass may be an issue for some looking for that immersive experience in some action games with lots of explosions and gunfire. However spotting enemies on the battlefield with this headset is super easy.

Comfort

Very comfortable, minimal amount of clamping force, a decent amount of padding but the headset seemed very light. Minimal adjustments to the headband. The earcups dont rotate but same goes for the other 2.
IMG_5518.jpgIMG_5519.jpg

Sennheiser Game one

Build Quality and looks

Better build quality with thicker/higher quality plastics and more padding. Velour on the top and on the earcups. Very similar design on the earcups compared to the HD598. Overall it seemed fairly sturdy. Braided cable is a huge plus in my book because its much softer and matches the rest of my peripherals. Minimalistic looks in all black with some red accents. Perfect fit for most settings

Sound Quality

Not as good sound stage as the HD598 but a very close second, and definitely great for multiplayer gaming with crisp clear sound and a decent amount of bass, a very neutral sound signature but I really liked it. I had no issues spotting enemies, hearing footsteps etc. A decent amount of bass makes it so that you can hear every explosion in all of its glory. Very immersive experience in Battlefield 1. I also really like the sound volume because you can easily adjust the volume while gaming. Note that the sound doesn't really turn all the way off with these headsets.

Comfort

Not as comfortable as the HD598 but a very close second. Clamping force seemed a little higher but i did not experience any pain after hours of gaming. Minimal adjustments to the headband. The earcups dont rotate.

IMG_5522.jpgIMG_5523.jpg

Sennheiser GSP 600

Build Quality and looks

Best build quality with thicker/higher quality plastics and more padding. Some sort of thick memory foam on the top and a combination of faux leather, memory foam and some other soft materials on the earcups. The earcups are oval shaped and feel very good. Braided cable (nicer than the Game One’s) is a huge plus in my book because its much softer and matches the rest of my peripherals. Looks are a bit subjective with this one. I personally like the looks just as much as I like the looks of the other 2 headsets but Sennheiser definitely steered far and away from the minimalistic design of the previous game series headsets.

Sound Quality

Great sound stage i would say somewhere about the same as the HD598s I would say maybe not quire there but unless you are switching between these 2 headsets while gaming you will not be able to notice a difference at least not a difference that would favor the HD598.. The overall sound was a bit more crisp and richer than the Game one with a better bass (no rumbling but very clean and powerful), very immersive. I enjoyed every single gun fire and explosion in Battlefield 1 while wearing these. I honestly expected them to have worse sound positioning than the other 2 headsets I bought but that was not the case. They sounded very good to me and I had no issues spotting enemies and just turning the player around in game I was able to spot where the action was coming from. The volume dial was abit of a hit or miss compared to the Game one. Its stiffer which means its nicer to "fine tune" the volume but at the same time if you are trying to adjust them while gaming it may not be as quick as the game one (minor gripe but wanted to mention it).

Comfort

Decent amount of comfort with adjustments to the headband and head pressure. Sennheier made something very unique here because even though these headsets have the strongest amount of clamping force they actually dont hurt your head after several hours of gaming due to those adjustments on the headband. I had mine all the way to maximum though. My ears got fairly warm after a few hours of gaming but no sweating and no pain. I think they require some “break in” period because the more I was wearing them the more comfortable they felt (although switching over to the other 2 headsets they felt much lighter and more comfortable).
IMG_5516.jpg
IMG_5515.jpgIMG_5520.jpgIMG_5521.jpg

Closing thoughts

Mic quality was fine on both Game one and GSP 600. I asked folks in chat and everybody heard me fine so no issues there.The fact that you can hear your voice with Game one is very nice. I didn't spend much time reviewing the mic, sorry but both sound very similar based on the feedback I got.
I would strongly recommend some above average sound source at least a decent dac/amp to really take advantage of these headsets. I ran them without the built in amp feature (theres a way to disable this in software) and that made a fairly significant difference in sound.

I will be keeping the GSP 600 although I will definitely recommend trying out all 3 headsets before buying. This stuff is so subjective is not even funny. For me it was a fairly tough decision between the gsp and game one. Price may also be a huge factor as the difference in price currently in the US is about $100 and you will have a tough time convincing me that the GSP 600 are worth $100 more but sales and whatnot may change this.
I also plan on trying out the GSP 500. I was intrigued by how good the game one sounded and how comfortable they were and i would not be surprise if i end up with a pair of GSP 500 for gaming but for now I think im happy with gsp 600 and i highly recommend them.
IMG_5533.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5524.jpg
    IMG_5524.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #39,977 of 48,566
Hello

Here is my "non-audiophile" review of the 3 headsets that I recently purchased. Rated from least favorite to my favorite

Sennheiser HD 598

Build Quality and looks

Decent build with faux leather and velour ear cups. Overall it seemed sturdy enough. Minimalistic looks all black with some silver accents. Rubber cables and probably the hardest cable to unplug and plug back in. Perfect fit for pretty much any setting.

Sound Quality

Best sound stage , great for gaming, crisp clear sound. The lack of a decent amount of bass may be an issue for some looking for that immersive experience in some action games with lots of explosions and gunfire.

Comfort

Very comfortable, minimal amount of clamping force, a decent amount of padding but the headset seemed very light. Minimal adjustments to the headband. The earcups dont rotate.

Sennheiser Game one

Build Quality and looks

Better build quality with thicker/higher quality plastics and more padding. Velour on the top and on the earcups. Very similar design on the earcups compared to the HD598. Overall it seemed fairly sturdy. Braided cable is a huge plus in my book because its much softer and matches the rest of my peripherals. Minimalistic looks in all black with some red accents. Perfect fit for most settings

Sound Quality

Not as good sound stage as the HD598 but great for multiplayer gaming, crisp clear sound. I had no issues spotting enemies, hearing footsteps etc. A decent amount of bass so you can hear every explosion in all of its glory. Very immersive experience in Battlefield 1.

Comfort

Not as comfortable as the HD598 but a very close second. Clamping force seemed a little higher but i did not experience any pain after hours of gaming. Minimal adjustments to the headband. The earcups dont rotate.

Sennheiser GSP 600

Build Quality and looks

Best build quality with thicker/higher quality plastics and more padding. Some sort of thick memory foam on the top and a combination of faux leather, memory foam and some other soft materials on the earcups. The earcups are oval shaped and feel very good. Braided cable (nicer than the Game One’s) is a huge plus in my book because its much softer and matches the rest of my peripherals. Looks are a bit subjective with this one. I personally like the looks just as much as I like the looks of the other 2 headsets but Sennheiser definitely steered far and away from the minimalistic design of the previous game series headsets.

Sound Quality

Great sound stage i would say somewhere about the same as the HD598s but with much crisper sounds, better bass, very immersive. I enjoyed every single gun fire and explosion in Battlefield 1 while wearing these.

Comfort

Decent amount of comfort with adjustments to the headband and head pressure. Sennheier made something very unique here because even though these headsets have the strongest amount of clamping force they actually dont hurt your head after several hours of gaming due to those adjustments on the headband. I had mine all the way to maximum though. My ears got fairly warm after a few hours of gaming but no sweating and no pain. I think they require some “break in” period because the more I was wearing them the more comfortable they felt (although switching over to the other 2 headsets they felt much lighter and more comfortable).

Closing thoughts

Mic quality was fine on both Game one and GSP 600. I asked folks in chat and everybody heard me fine so no issues there. I didn't spend much time reviewing the mic, sorry.
I would strongly recommend some above average sound source at least a decent dac/amp to really take advantage of these headsets. I ran them without the built in amp feature (theres a way to disable this in software) and that made a fairly significant difference in sound.

I will be keeping the GSP 600 although I will definitely recommend trying out all 3 headsets before buying. This stuff is so subjective is not even funny. For me it was a fairly tough decision between the gsp and game one. Price may also be a huge factor as the difference in price currently in the US is about $100.
I also plan on trying out the GSP 500. I was intrigued by how good the game one sounded and how comfortable they were and i would not be surprise if i end up with a pair of GSP 500 for gaming but for now I think im happy with gsp 600 and i highly recommend them.
Great review , it mirrors my own experience. Only my ears never got warm under the GSP 600 so far. But we are still in early spring here. Let's see what the summer will bring.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #39,979 of 48,566
So I gave HESuVi's surround sound plug ins a test: (thanks to @Fegefeuer )

Alright so I did some testing (make sure you do it IN game, and not with the test button in the equalizer apo).

I really like:

Dolby Atmos
SBX (Overall still my top pick)
GSX
Dolby Home Theater V4

I think these 4 are all anyone would really need. Dolby Headphone 2 in the plug in was a bit too reverb heavy. I don't remember it being that bad.

Hi,
They are several SBX options, 33, 67 and 100 which one did you prefer?

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #39,981 of 48,566
Hi,

I use the 100 setting, gives me the best immersion/stage/encirclement and I find the loss very marginal since i'm surrounded BY LOVE, BEAUTY, DEATH AND TERROR.
remember to update HeSuVi regularly for improvements and additional filters! https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/files/?source=navbar

you can also delete filters you don't like or need under \EqualizerAPO\config\HeSuVi\hrir

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #39,982 of 48,566
Hi,
I didn't bother with 33 and 67 because like my X7 which has SBX, I prefer it at 100. The lesser the amount, the less soundstage and space, which I didn't wanna reduce. The HeSuVi version of SBX sounds like the real thing, just a little quieter vs the X7.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #39,983 of 48,566
Okay, thanks

And what about things like that? I hear everything in 3D just plug my headphones in Mobile phone. It's trully 3D

That is pre-recorded binaural audio. You will hear 3d. Just like the videos on the first page are pre-recorded virtual surround. Don't understand what you mean here otherwise?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #39,985 of 48,566
Yoou're asking me to compare a headphone I owned about 8 years ago to one I tested a few weeks ago, lol. All I can say is the AD700 has non-existent clamp (which IMHO is a BAD thing). The AD700 weighs 280g from what I see, and the Mobius is 350g. The Mobius is light for a Planarmagnetic, but not exactly the lightest headphones compared to dynamics like the AD700.

As for comfort, I'm pretty sure you can extrapolate my thoughts from the Mobius impressions and what I thought of the slipping and sliding AD700 which couldn't sit still on my head.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like Audio Technica's wing design for their headbands. I HATE it. The Mobius feels like a standard headphone, with comfy pads. Winner in comfort: Mobius.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #39,986 of 48,566
A comparison is better than no comparison. The AD700 don't really slip around on my head, my head isn't big either.

One thing I'm worried about with the Mobius is the detachable cable and the durability of the port.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #39,987 of 48,566
I don't currently have the Mobius (I'll be receiving an updated version sooner than later), but I don't remember thinking the aux port being flimsy or anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the aux cable was a standard 3.5mm cable, which means you can find easy replacements if need be. May be a cable with a mic channel. Not sure. Perhaps I said something as such in my impressions.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #39,988 of 48,566
I'm sorry for the late response to this, but thank you for your review of these. Very well written. :) While I don't currently have any guest reviews on my guide, I would recommend you also pasting your reviews to each respective headphones on the forums for more exposure. It'd be a shame if you didn't.

Hello

Here is my "non-audiophile" review of the 3 headsets that I recently purchased - GSP 600, HD 598SR, and Game One (all by Sennheiser). Rated from least favorite to my favorite. For sound source I used the onboard sound package that came with the Gigabyte Aorus Z370 gaming 7 motherboard , which is Realtek ALC 1220+ ESS Sabre 9018 DAC.
I mainly tested these headsets in Battlefield 1 and Vermintide 2 with Battlefield 1 profile enabled in settings and with the headphone amp set to "on" and level 3.Volume percentage was at around 50% to 70%. Anything beyond that they sounded way too loud for me.

Sennheiser HD 598

Build Quality and looks

Sound Quality

Best sound stage , great for gaming, crisp clear sound. The lack of a decent amount of bass may be an issue for some looking for that immersive experience in some action games with lots of explosions and gunfire. However spotting enemies on the battlefield with this headset is super easy.

Comfort

Very comfortable, minimal amount of clamping force, a decent amount of padding but the headset seemed very light. Minimal adjustments to the headband. The earcups dont rotate but same goes for the other 2.

Sennheiser Game one

Build Quality and looks

Sound Quality

Not as good sound stage as the HD598 but a very close second, and definitely great for multiplayer gaming with crisp clear sound and a decent amount of bass, a very neutral sound signature but I really liked it. I had no issues spotting enemies, hearing footsteps etc. A decent amount of bass makes it so that you can hear every explosion in all of its glory. Very immersive experience in Battlefield 1. I also really like the sound volume because you can easily adjust the volume while gaming. Note that the sound doesn't really turn all the way off with these headsets.

Comfort

Sennheiser GSP 600

Build Quality and looks

Sound Quality

Great sound stage i would say somewhere about the same as the HD598s I would say maybe not quire there but unless you are switching between these 2 headsets while gaming you will not be able to notice a difference at least not a difference that would favor the HD598.. The overall sound was a bit more crisp and richer than the Game one with a better bass (no rumbling but very clean and powerful), very immersive. I enjoyed every single gun fire and explosion in Battlefield 1 while wearing these. I honestly expected them to have worse sound positioning than the other 2 headsets I bought but that was not the case. They sounded very good to me and I had no issues spotting enemies and just turning the player around in game I was able to spot where the action was coming from. The volume dial was abit of a hit or miss compared to the Game one. Its stiffer which means its nicer to "fine tune" the volume but at the same time if you are trying to adjust them while gaming it may not be as quick as the game one (minor gripe but wanted to mention it).

Comfort

Closing thoughts

Mic quality was fine on both Game one and GSP 600. I asked folks in chat and everybody heard me fine so no issues there.The fact that you can hear your voice with Game one is very nice. I didn't spend much time reviewing the mic, sorry but both sound very similar based on the feedback I got.

I will be keeping the GSP 600 although I will definitely recommend trying out all 3 headsets before buying. This stuff is so subjective is not even funny. For me it was a fairly tough decision between the gsp and game one. Price may also be a huge factor as the difference in price currently in the US is about $100 and you will have a tough time convincing me that the GSP 600 are worth $100 more but sales and whatnot may change this.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #39,990 of 48,566
I don't currently have the Mobius (I'll be receiving an updated version sooner than later), but I don't remember thinking the aux port being flimsy or anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the aux cable was a standard 3.5mm cable, which means you can find easy replacements if need be. May be a cable with a mic channel. Not sure. Perhaps I said something as such in my impressions.

What about the USB cable? Those ports are usually what go bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back