Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #39,631 of 48,562
This one will probably be the only one that will let you use an optical out to your own dac/amp and pass through the virtual surround.

How were you looking at getting the PC/PS4/Switch feeding through a single optical?

With that I'd use the USB from the PC > X7,
Optical from the PS4/Switch from the ARC passthrough in the TV > X7 (or swap if not using a switcher/TV with ARC)
(using the USB gives the best option from the PC and frees up the Optical port for the other inputs)

Can then use the Optical Out or the Line Out of the X7 to feed whatever you put into it through to the DAC/Amp with or without the surround processing or in "direct mode" (no processing at all)

I've got mine acting both on it's own and also feeding a couple of other DAC/AMP combo's for various setups and choices - optical to one and RCA to another

I'm using an optical switcher. The X7 does look like the best option, but I couldn't stomach spending $400 for just basic surround sound processing. I ended up purchasing an Astro Mixamp 2013 on Ebay to use until the Smyth Realiser A16 is released.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #39,632 of 48,562
I have the Smyth A16 on order but it may still be awhile til it gets released.
I was using the Recon3D before it blew up a year ago. Im looking to replace it. As sources, I have Direct TV receiver (optical or hdmi output) and a Samsung Bluray player and HDDVD player that I need to feed into a unit and then output to a stereo headphone plug that goes into my headphone amp (Musical Fidelity XCan v2) and then to AKG712 headphones. I dont mind plugging and unplugging sources into a unit. Into the Recon3d I was using the Digital input jack and powering it using a nearby laptop USB plug. I sit on my couch and watch all TV on a 65" Plasma.

which product would you recommend to replace the Recon3D? This is for movies ONLY.

Headphones: AKG712 headphone, Musical Fidelity XCan v2, Samsung BD-F7500 4K Upscaling 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (2014) + DirectTv, PreAmp Processor: Marantz AV7702 w/ATMOS, Sunfire Signature Amps x3, BG Radia SA-200 in 7.2 Sonance 2 in-wall subs 10" Smyth A16 on order

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #39,633 of 48,562
Is it possible to connect my Geek Out 450 USB amp to the Turtle Beach DSS, and improve the surround sound that way? Is so, how do I do it? Because I've tried several all ways of doing it, but the only way I get sound, is if I connect the amp via a 3.5 to 3.5 mm to the direct headphone output of the DSS, and connect my headphones to the amp itself.

However, this causes the sound to be inferior, and the volume to be a lot quieter than when I plug the hrafphones to the DSS itself, and I can't control the volume vis the Geek Out, because the Geek out only responds when it is plugged into a powered USB device, and I don't get any sound that way..

The reason I'm asking this, is because I want to get the K7xx for gaming only, and I've read you can't use the DSS alone to power them sufficently with good enough dynamics.

The other option I'm considering is the HD 598, however I've read that they're not as good in soundstage and imaging compared to an amped K7xx, and that they're a bit grainy/not as smooth in the uppermids (which is a HUGE let down for me)

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #39,634 of 48,562
If your headphones need more amplification than your motherboard can provide, which is usually the case for most audiophile headphones, then sure, you can add an amp to that chain somehow, but that takes away any virtual surround your motherboard or soundcard does.
Proper amplifier is what it says on the tin: It doesn't modify data, only amplifies signal.
Of course if you add something which distorts frequency response or adds other distortions like tubes then you start messing data.
But that's why amplifier should be neutral instead of "warm" or what ever terms marketing comes up with..

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #39,635 of 48,562
Is it possible to connect my Geek Out 450 USB amp to the Turtle Beach DSS, and improve the surround sound that way? Is so, how do I do it? Because I've tried several all ways of doing it, but the only way I get sound, is if I connect the amp via a 3.5 to 3.5 mm to the direct headphone output of the DSS, and connect my headphones to the amp itself.

However, this causes the sound to be inferior, and the volume to be a lot quieter than when I plug the hrafphones to the DSS itself, and I can't control the volume vis the Geek Out, because the Geek out only responds when it is plugged into a powered USB device, and I don't get any sound that way..
Geek Out 450 doesn't work as separate amplifier:
It lacks analog line input.
Its 3,5mm jacks are parallel connected outputs and that 47 ohm output impedance of one acts like serial resistor lowering volume... and decreasing damping factor.

Are you using DSS to get Dolby Headphone for consoles?

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #39,636 of 48,562
Geek Out 450 doesn't work as separate amplifier:
It lacks analog line input.
Its 3,5mm jacks are parallel connected outputs and that 47 ohm output impedance of one acts like serial resistor lowering volume... and decreasing damping factor.

Are you using DSS to get Dolby Headphone for consoles?
Thank you for the useful answer.

Yes, I'm using the DSS for Dolby Headphone on the 360.

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #39,637 of 48,562
I have the Smyth A16 on order but it may still be awhile til it gets released.
I was using the Recon3D before it blew up a year ago. Im looking to replace it. As sources, I have Direct TV receiver (optical or hdmi output) and a Samsung Bluray player and HDDVD player that I need to feed into a unit and then output to a stereo headphone plug that goes into my headphone amp (Musical Fidelity XCan v2) and then to AKG712 headphones. I dont mind plugging and unplugging sources into a unit. Into the Recon3d I was using the Digital input jack and powering it using a nearby laptop USB plug. I sit on my couch and watch all TV on a 65" Plasma.
which product would you recommend to replace the Recon3D? This is for movies ONLY.
Headphones: AKG712 headphone, Musical Fidelity XCan v2, Samsung BD-F7500 4K Upscaling 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (2014) + DirectTv, PreAmp Processor: Marantz AV7702 w/ATMOS, Sunfire Signature Amps x3, BG Radia SA-200 in 7.2 Sonance 2 in-wall subs 10" Smyth A16 on order

Also a Realiser on order here and a Marantz SR8012 owner allbeit with 5.1. Love Marantz stuff.
I also used a Recon 3D in the past and thought it wsn't bad for the money. For the moment I use a stereo headphone amp.

I wonder if anyone tried the Sennheiser GSX 1000 here and what they thought about it.
Saw a few reviews about it on the web but I'd prefer real user experience.
Could it drive the HD700?
I recently acquired the HD700 at 440€ brand new, quite a nice bargain I thought.
I tried some games with it with the stereo amp and really liked the sound, big soundstage and positioning for gaming.

Any thoughts on the GSX 1000 anyone?

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #39,638 of 48,562
I wonder if anyone tried the Sennheiser GSX 1000 here and what they thought about it.

The GSX1000 has given me the best VSS performance I've found so far from all the main performers.

The HD700 is the can I usually use with it.

I'm hopeless with frontal cues with VSS - the GSX allows me to resolve them best so far

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #39,639 of 48,562
Thank you for the useful answer.

Yes, I'm using the DSS for Dolby Headphone on the 360.
Not that many devices for that use with need to accept Dolby Digital input.

Output's inadequency would easiest show in high dynamic range content like classical music:
In those average signal level is low and you increase volume based onto that, while there are then transients and short moments with lot louder sound.
Games don't have such level volume differences, because it would be annoying if you had basically ears ringing when shooting match started.
(or wouldn't hear other sounds if adjusted for gunshots etc)
So there's hope that it works without problems.

While some DAC/amp combinations have analog line input for using them as headphone amplifier mostly it needs separate headphone amplifier.
Like Objective2 designed was absolute neutral sound. (important for not affecting positional cues of binaural sound)

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #39,640 of 48,562
Could it drive the HD700?
I recently acquired the HD700 at 440€ brand new, quite a nice bargain I thought.
I tried some games with it with the stereo amp and really liked the sound, big soundstage and positioning for gaming.

Any thoughts on the GSX 1000 anyone?
Unfortunately Sennheiser GSX is badly overpriced for its hardware.
It uses low end Conexant CX20745 DAC/output buffer chip meant for phones/tablets struggling to match budget level Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX sound card:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-gsx-1000-1200-impressions.824923/page-30#post-13504383.
http://conexant.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CX20745_ds.pdf

Some people say that HD650 needs more power than motherboard integrated and standard sound cards can give and if that's the case GSX would certainly struggle.
But HD700 no doubt has different driver so might work without problems and HD700 was actually used in this blind testing:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

Still price of GSX is lot more than lot cheaper and better sound cards, or still cheaper ones with pretty much top level headphone output.

Which binaural simulation works best can certainly vary depending on shape&size of head and outer ears of listener.
Though if those differ from average every algorithm should struggle one way or another.
Myself what I've tested GSX recordings I've found with AKG K702, K712, Beyer DT990 and Sennheiser HD595 it doesn't have advantage over Creative's algorithms and they're overall even.

Here's some game samples with Creative you can listen yourself:
Positional surround sound with headphones in Battlefield 4
Battlefield 4 with different soundcards and onboard - (standard headphones)
This has quick test in start. (that 100% setting isn't optimal)
SBX vs. CMSS-3D vs. Razer vs. Dolby vs. Realtek - headphone game sound test

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #39,641 of 48,562
The GSX1000 has given me the best VSS performance I've found so far from all the main performers.

The HD700 is the can I usually use with it.

I'm hopeless with frontal cues with VSS - the GSX allows me to resolve them best so far

Great to know, thanks!
I’ve been tempted to order one for a while.
I doubt if it will see much use once the Realiser comes in though.
Could it be used via USB on a console by any chance?
And what is the difference between the 1000 and the 1200?
Just some teamspeak option or something like that?

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #39,642 of 48,562
Which binaural simulation works best can certainly vary depending on shape&size of head and outer ears of listener.

Definitely this.

Try and find the solution that works best for you

And what is the difference between the 1000 and the 1200?
Just some teamspeak option or something like that?

Just the chaining up of them for chat.

Could it be used via USB on a console by any chance?

No, PC only.

While the GSX sounds the best for me for VSS, it's the X7 that is in daily use - far more functional and generally better all round.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #39,643 of 48,562
@EsaT
Thank you for the info. But I'm afraid no soundcard will have the installation convenience of something like the GSX 1000.
Amazing how little the tech costs though. Would love to see the BoM of certain "high end" stuff i this hobby.

@raband
That's what I thought, no use to go for the 1200.
I wouldn't mind a little gadget like the GSX 1000 but an X7 (which I heard and did find good) I will pass on since i have the Realiser incoming.
Thanks for the info!

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #39,644 of 48,562
Can someone please clarify Xbox one Dolby Atmos for headphones for me.

I understand it works by either plugging stereo headphones directly in to the controller, or if I use a Hdmi/ optical headset directly connected to the box.

Now, I use an external optical Dac/ amp which is fed by the stereo pass-through tv instead of a direct Xbox to dac connection.
Meaning, I got all my consoles plugged in to my tv via hdmi and then pass through to my dac via optical.

When I tick the hdmi/ optical option in Dolby Atmos for headphones, I understand the signal gets mixed by the box and send via hdmi/ optical.

As this is technically still a stereo signal, the tv should just pass it through without having any issues right?

Also, what are recommended sound options in games when I have the choice of stereo or surround?

Is the box downmixing/ upmixing to Dolby Atmos for headphones according to choice of sound?

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #39,645 of 48,562
@EsaT
Thank you for the info. But I'm afraid no soundcard will have the installation convenience of something like the GSX 1000.
Amazing how little the tech costs though. Would love to see the BoM of certain "high end" stuff i this hobby.

@raband
That's what I thought, no use to go for the 1200.
I wouldn't mind a little gadget like the GSX 1000 but an X7 (which I heard and did find good) I will pass on since i have the Realiser incoming.
Thanks for the info!
Still paying 5+ times the price for budget level hardware isn't exactly sensible.
While you can get Sound BlasterX AE-5 with pretty much absolute top level D/A-converter and high end headphone output (+ lots of other connectivity) for clearly less than GSX.
And for less work in installation (or no space inside case) Sound BlasterX G5 would be pretty comparable to AE-5 at same price.

Realiser's BoM certainly wouldn't look "nice" for buyer.
Lets hope that in some day there's measurement standard for personal HRTF, which you could get measured in say shop and could then use that measurement result for adjusting devices and sound cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back