Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,751 of 48,578
Ill further look into the lyrs preferred tubing for the 990 600 beyers. I'm really looking to tame the treble and increase the mids and soundstage, extra bass being a bonus.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #3,752 of 48,578

Quote:
I bought some Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm phones, and want to figure out what I should do with regards to DAC/AMPs. The source for everything will be my self built Win7 64 bit pc.

I currently mostly use the headphones for video games and will continue to do so with the new headphones, but I plan on listening to music a lot more with the improved setup.

My question is how much of an improvement an external amp/dac provide over one of the nicer sound cards (seems like Asus Essence STX and HT Omega Claro are the best). Would those sufficiently power 600 ohm headphones? The literature they produce says they will, but I would rather hear it from a knowledeable head-fier than the people who are trying to sell me the cards.

Even with a sound card that says it can drive the Beyer's I feel like I would prefer to just buy an amp for them. If I just bought one of those cards + an amp (say Shiit Asgard or Matrix M Stage) that should provide really good quality gaming sound, and still decent quality sound for music, right? I haven't really figured out if I should just get a DAC and AMP or if AMP + sound card is a better option for me. Thanks for any help  :)

I just posted a guide on how to enable CMSS on Win7 with any external DAC/Amp chain, you can pick up a cheap Creative card for ~$25 and then just completely ignore the hardware and use the bundled software to do CMMS virtual surround on anything you want. Cheaper and easier than getting an Astro+amp, better choice of components too.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #3,753 of 48,578

Quote:
Make sure DX is disabled is a good start as that seems to be the cause for quite a few problems. If its turned off the GX button is not lit up green.

I normally use the 8 channel with dolby headphone for gaming and sometimes use SVN too. Just click on the drop down list for audio channel and pick what you want. To turn on dolby headphone click the box towards the bottom of the panel and a small tick in the box indicates dolby headphone is running.

Some other options to look at are the 7.1 virtualisation (button above dolby headphone) and the SVN button below the volume. SVN magnifies the quietier sounds around you it seems so footsteps, whistling of wind etc all seem louder and easier to hear. If the button is lit up green its on.

Just mess around with the settings until you find somthing you like. Hope this helps a tad.

A huge help! This makes the asus gui make a ton more sense now. My questions remaining is what gain should I have the hd555 set for the medium or the highest it will go? Also I'm still confused by the "DX" , "GX" and "HF" or hi fi options. I don't see a DX button and it looks like I can't have Hi Fi turned on with dolby headphone turned on. I think I would like to have the highest gain turned on but I don't want to damage my headphones if that would happen.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #3,754 of 48,578
Warning keep your volume turned DOWN!!!... Can't stress that enough for you guys with the good headphones.

So I was killing some time while I was downloading some things and found this on you tube. 

Dolby© Digital Surround Sound Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8QaE0I_3do&feature=related  ...... for what it is, it made me lol

Still keep your volume turned DOWN.. the guy waits a little bit to start the audio so you'll turn up the volume. Son of a b1tch... lolz

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #3,756 of 48,578
Started playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 off the PS3 with the Mixamp/D7000. Initial impression on the sound in the game is very good. The bass is actually quite tight and balanced in the game. Even with the very intense opening cinematic and fights, the bass never roared. It was a refreshing change of pace, as the D7000 vibrates in an awesome way when it gets bassy, but this game hasn't demanded much bass yet, which is fine.

I love that the D7000 is so efficient, they run so well off the Mixamp. It sounds open, crisp, and pleasing.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3,757 of 48,578
Just wanted to let people know. Electronics expo has a half off sale on the denon ah-d110. Put in coupon code LSDA12 and with shipping it comes out to 107.49.

Not a bad deal if you like the look over the creative live!

Also another headset thats been getting some recent interest here. The akg q701 with coupon code LISTEN30 is 236.47 with shipping.

Want to get this one myself wanting to hear chicolom's comparisons on the different models.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #3,758 of 48,578
That's the D1101 which is not the alternate CAL. D1001 is what the CAL is a clone of, which was discontinued.

Apparently, the D1101 is very bassy, very warm...

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,759 of 48,578
Hello everyone, first of all thank you "madlust envy", it's a fantastic thread, review and so on,
it's nice to read many of the posts, I have a question:

I use pro 900 for gaming, bass is fantastic,ok, i enjoy a lot in cinematic scenes.
But in competitive gaming; it's sometimes hard for me to observe the opponents position (instead
the pro 900 soundstage is accepted large) ,my plan was to get an akg k702 or q701 for a more
balanced, mid rich headphone for listening to music (compliment of pro 900) 

After reading your comments you place ad700 a little bit forward position acording to all other
headphones in competitive mode fro games. If i get ad700 i think i will use it only in games but if i get
akg one i also will use it in listening to music, so is there a huge difference in sound stage
when you compare both according to your experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,760 of 48,578
Hello everyone, first of all thank you "madlust envy", it's a fantastic thread, review and so on,
it's nice to read many of the posts, I have a question:

I use pro 900 for gaming, bass is fantastic,ok, i enjoy a lot in cinematic scenes.
But in competitive gaming; it's sometimes hard for me to observe the opponents position (instead
the pro 900 soundstage is accepted large) ,my plan was to get an akg k702 or q701 for a more
balanced, mid rich headphone for listening to music (compliment of pro 900) 

After reading your comments you place ad700 a little bit forward position acording to all other
headphones in competitive mode fro games. If i get ad700 i think i will use it only in games but if i get
akg one i also will use it in listening to music, so is there a huge difference in sound stage
when you compare both according to your experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Go for the AKGs. They run circles around the AD700s overall, and make the obsolete.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3,761 of 48,578
That's the D1101 which is not the alternate CAL. D1001 is what the CAL is a clone of, which was discontinued.
Apparently, the D1101 is very bassy, very warm...

My bad remembeted the model number.

Janvaljan - best price I found on the k701 is 220 but its only the white version

www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=K701WHT&status=

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,762 of 48,578
Ok its clear :wink: thanks.

I'll ask one thing more; forgive my less knowledge but what's "dolby headphone" or "dh"? Actually i know what dolby headphone is, but how can we provide it at output of pc?

-------

Ok Drastion, the white one is my favorite im checking :wink: thank you very much.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,763 of 48,578

Quote:
Ok its clear
wink.gif
thanks.
I'll ask one thing more; forgive my less knowledge but what's "dolby headphone" or "dh"? Actually i know what dolby headphone is, but how can we provide it at output of pc?
Ok Drastion, the white one is my favorite im checking
wink.gif
thank you very much.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=208809374&sellerid=34152738 or http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Recon3D-External-Enhancer/dp/B005FKT70O or this now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132022 if you have CONSOLES you want to use as well.

If not a sound card would do you the best. I would recommend the Asus Xonar DG http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020R for $15!!!!!!!!?????. If you want the big stuff you can get Creative's Recon 3d sound card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102041 that should be in the $100 range I think or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132014 .

I can't beleive I could have gotten the damn card for free instead of wasting my $15 gift card and still paying $20 and still have a rebate to deal with... last week :frowning2:

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #3,765 of 48,578
Ahhh!!... I'm not liking Medal of Honor MP. Is it true that this is one of the best dolby headphone pc games? Cause I don't hear it. Of coarse it doesn't help I'm hating it constantly. First it was the constant Black flickering. Edited the .ini and set the bloom to low. That fixed that. But I feel like I'm catching and tripping over every nook and cranny in these POS maps. Then my team mates run into me and circle infront of me. and the sounds, the sounds is just random yelling for no reason and gun shots and explosions every where all the time. It's just so constant I can't really distinguish anything.

It seems like having the gain set to the highest setting on the xonar makes everything too bright. Does that make any sense? Any suggestions or wisdom about the MOH game on a xonar dg with hd555's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back