Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3,721 of 48,583
Its stupidly expensive.  I think mostly because the A1 its based on is already stupidly expensive.  If they sold the Headzone for $500 there would be no reason to buy an A1.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #3,722 of 48,583
Yeah, I can see the A1 maybe going for $400, and the Headzone for $600... though I'm not certain how close in spec the amp section is on the A1 vs Headzone. The tech specs looked different, but that's probably because the DSP may have had to change some things around. They very will may be the same exact amp... and not just by looks.

But seriously, I don't see there being anywhere near a solid market for the Headzone. Gamers with some cash would eat it right up if they priced it accordingly. I'd be down for $600 at the MOST.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3,723 of 48,583
So I decided to go with I wanted... Burson HA-160DS. End of story, it's bought. XD

edit: Aww, damn, I thought I edited my post. My bad for double post.

Guess I'll be relegating the E9 to my TV area so I can D3/E9 whenever I wanna use my cans when I watch TV shows/anime/whatever is on the computer in my room. (I have a very long running HDMI cable from my living room to the bedroom for this purpose, but no way to use my headphones in that situation).

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,724 of 48,583
Burson HA-160DS you say? You know what goes really nice with that amp? The Q701. Hint..hint..just kidding.

Wonder if the W1000X is any good for gaming..I sure missing my ATH-AD2000 for gaming, but it was too uncomfortable.
The forwardness of it's mids reminded me of the SA3000. Weird..

If I ever buy the W1000X and it's drivers touch  my ears like on my ATH-AD200 I'm going to throw a fit.
Quote:
So I decided to go with I wanted... Burson HA-160DS. End of story, it's bought. XD
edit: Aww, damn, I thought I edited my post. My bad for double post.
Guess I'll be relegating the E9 to my TV area so I can D3/E9 whenever I wanna use my cans when I watch TV shows/anime/whatever is on the computer in my room. (I have a very long running HDMI cable from my living room to the bedroom for this purpose, but no way to use my headphones in that situation).

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3,725 of 48,583
Yeah, I won't be buying any wing design Audio Technica... ever again.

The Q701... :D

Nah, I'm good with the D7K for now. My next headphone is either gonna be the Shure 1840 (actually up on Amazon for $700) or the Beyer T1. Then that's it for me and major audio expenses.

I am gonna miss the SQ on the Headzone. The Mixamp does pale in comparison, but what was most important was directional accuracy, which both are pretty much the same in.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3,726 of 48,583
I bet chaining the Burson after the Mixamp will improve the soundstage.  I mean, if my M-Stage can do it...
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3,727 of 48,583

Quote:
It's a damn shame most the overwhelming majority of Blu-Rays are DTS encoded. I would be SO happy if the Mixamp could decode DTS.
frown.gif

We have to get you a JVC/Victor SU-DH1 for you to review at some point. Unlike all the later products that have showed up for Dolby Headphone processing from S/PDIF sources, it does decode DTS.

There aren't any on eBay at the moment, though, and only Victor-branded ones have the AC adapter port for some dumb reason, so unless you don't mind regularly changing pairs of AA batteries...

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3,728 of 48,583
I have rechargeable eneloops. :D

Hmm... I forgot about that SU-DH1.

I wonder if the SU-DH1 converts DTS to Dolby Digital, and then to Dolby Headphone, or if it's a different DSP altogether?

I'm pretty sure Headzone's DTS DSP is different from the JVC/Victor (assuming it's not just a DTS to DD to DH conversion, which would be just fine by me).

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1840-Professional-Open-Headphones/dp/B0073A4FM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328061643&sr=8-2

I want!

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3,729 of 48,583

Quote:
Burson HA-160DS you say? You know what goes really nice with that amp? The Q701. Hint..hint..just kidding.

Wonder if the W1000X is any good for gaming..I sure missing my ATH-AD2000 for gaming, but it was too uncomfortable.
The forwardness of it's mids reminded me of the SA3000. Weird..

If I ever buy the W1000X and it's drivers touch  my ears like on my ATH-AD200 I'm going to throw a fit.

Quote:
Yeah, I won't be buying any wing design Audio Technica... ever again.
The Q701...
biggrin.gif

Nah, I'm good with the D7K for now. My next headphone is either gonna be the Shure 1840 (actually up on Amazon for $700) or the Beyer T1. Then that's it for me and major audio expenses.
I am gonna miss the SQ on the Headzone. The Mixamp does pale in comparison, but what was most important was directional accuracy, which both are pretty much the same in.

I have an AD700 and an A900, the AD700 grills touch my ears, but the A900 grills do not.  I believe it is due to the bowl shaped pads the open AT's use.  

Edit: And for the price of the Headzone you could get a receiver that does Dolby Headphone, or even a home theater PC if there are any cards that will accept 5.1 Dolby and output Dolby Headphone.  

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #3,730 of 48,583
Yeah, I had some very bad experiences with the AD700's pads, the headband, and the drivers shocking me every once in awhile.. Those A900 pleathers look like a different kind of torture altogether.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #3,731 of 48,583
Quote:
I have rechargeable eneloops.
biggrin.gif

I wonder if the SU-DH1 converts DTS to Dolby Digital, and then to Dolby Headphone, or if it's a different DSP altogether?
I'm pretty sure Headzone's DTS DSP is different from the JVC/Victor (assuming it's not just a DTS to DD to DH conversion, which would be just fine by me).
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1840-Professional-Open-Headphones/dp/B0073A4FM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328061643&sr=8-2
I want!

All DH needs is a 5.1 or 7.1 signal so all it would have to do is decode the DTS into a normal 6 or 8 channel signal and send it to DH.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,732 of 48,583

Quote:
Yeah, I had some very bad experiences with the AD700's pads, the headband, and the drivers shocking me every once in awhile.. Those A900 pleathers look like a different kind of torture altogether.

They're actually vinyl, I believe, but they don't last so long.  I since replaced them with genuine leather pads meant for W5000's.  The static electricity is sometimes a problem for me on cold days, but where I live the high humidity usually prevents it.  

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,733 of 48,583
Looks like the Shure 1840 may be a touch too analytical for my taste. Maybe the Q701 WILL be my complimentary can of choice... I'll wait and see more comparisons, but by Headroom's impression, the HE500 is more 'fun' and has more bass... and I don't exactly want the HE500...

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,734 of 48,583

Quote:

I doubt it does, for that would be unnecessarily complicated.

The SU-DH1's DSP chip is an older revision, now out of production (which is presumably why you can't buy them new anymore). A bit more powerful and power-hungry, along with support for DH1 and DH3 Dolby Headphone modes in addition to the usual DH2 (which the Mixamp and DSS can only use). It wouldn't be too unreasonable to believe that it can support DTS directly as well, though there's still the matter of licensing to consider. (That, and having taken apart the SU-DH1 before just out of curiosity, I notice another major IC that isn't the Dolby Headphone DSP. Who knows what it does...)

We don't know what exact HRTF virtual 7.1 tech the Headzone uses, but it's probably not something widely licensed like Dolby Headphone. It might have been necessary if they wanted to implement head-tracking that badly. On top of that, the Headzone is clearly still in production.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #3,735 of 48,583
I got my Xonar DG soundcard in today. So far it sounds pretty good but I'm confused with the gui coming from the razer. I don't know when Dolby Headphone is enabled and things of that nature. Does anybody have any suggestions for setting this card up for gaming with the hd555's?

Also Thank you Catscratch for your input. It is very appreciated. My Gamma's will have some slight cosmetic issue's mainly the leather strap needs repaired but I have been assured that the sound is balanced and in good form overall. I'll keep my finger's crossed however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back