Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #36,061 of 48,562
Some free advertising for someone giving a great deal in the classifieds. I honestly wish i would have kept mine.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815416/philips-shp9500-excellent-condition-45-shipped

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #36,062 of 48,562
The DT1770 has been a big hit. People were clamoring for it at RMAF. Could be cool if it fills the $400-$500 gap with commensurate value, and has a less divisive treble experience.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #36,063 of 48,562
The DT1770 has been a big hit. People were clamping for it at RMAF. Could be cool if it fills the $400-$500 gap with commensurate value, and has a less divisive treble experience.

I'd like to hear it sometime (are you getting one?). Always been curious how it compares to my TH-X00 (same price range).

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #36,065 of 48,562
  Yeah my reply to the headsets was just sarcasm lol but I do agree that "gaming" headsets have been improving as of late but that's also mainly because some of them are rebrands of a headphone and then just attaching a mic to it. Nothing wrong with that but it should be noted. However, some of those in house made headsets do seem to be improving like the Logitech G933 although it does have its flaws and its too flashy for my taste (Im 30 years old, I need to keep it classy not swag), it is still a solid headset to purchase for aroun $150.

Yeah, RaceRoom micro-transactions isn't what I like about it. Such a shame they had to go that route compared to previous games like WTCC 2007 or 2008 as well as other that felt to me, very complete.

PCARS....well it has gotten better I say but I do agree, still needs a lot of polishing up and for them to start on PCARS 2 which will probably be announced officially next year, is going to be bad for the PCARS community. It's sad that even on the forums, peoples complaints and stuff are being deleted off the forums and users are sometimes banned from the forums.

I wont be buying the next PCARS 2, nope. So much marketing went into that game that Im very sure most reviewers of the game got paid to say good things about it, with the exception of a few of course.

Long live Assetto Corsa, I can't get enough of that sim. I just hope they get their MP aspect running nicely and do some sort of cross-platform multilplayer so we can race the console peasants as well. Would make things very interesting given that some youtuber's have already tried the console version of Assetto Corsa and have said that it feels the same as on PC. Kunos is doing great work and listening to their fans and that is what people want....for the developers to listen to their players. And I believe the game will have full support until 2020, will get new DLC and upgrade in graphics and sound as time goes by.

Assetto Corsa just gives great quality for the price you pay for.

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't receive notifications of new posts for some reason.

The reason I brought up the gaming headset thing is because I see the phrase "gaming headsets suck" or comments that hint at it a lot nowadays. I think there are some cases where people have had bad experiences with gaming headsets and then decide that all gaming headsets suck, but their opinion stays static rather than taking into account the fact that things change over time. I also see some people that I get the impression have gotten wind of this and jump on the bandwagon. I just rather not add to the stigmatisation of gaming headsets when things seem to be improving. I've just turned 33, so I agree with you about not wanting flashy looking stuff. If it has LEDs on it, I'll probably give it a miss.

I was a big fan of Simbin titles, so I was very sad to see them go the free to play route. The problem is that it was pretty much a glorified demo that you could add content to. I figured out that if you were to buy the amount of content that would make up a traditionally marketed game (let's say £25-£30 as it isn't a triple A title) you'd be paying over £200. Yes there were discounts here and there and you could temporarily try out some new cars, but the F2P pricing model is just generally a sneaky way to charge more money for less content and I won't support it.

I spent some time over at the Project CARS forums and even contributed footage for analysis to try and get to the bottom of a tyre heating issue. There are a few nice people there, but there are a lot of defensive fanboys that will jump on you for criticism of the game. The studio head also frequents the forums and he personally locks threads (and allegedly deletes stuff). He is bad tempered and unproffessional. I'm not quite sure why he goes on the forums at all because it seemed like he was only there to argue with people that criticised the game or lock/delete threads. When people complain about the state of the game or one of the many bugs, there is very much a "if you don't like it don't play it" attitude, like people are acting entitled to expect a game they bought to work properly. Also, according to them the tyre model/heating and physics are always correct at the time of questioning. When a new tweak or update comes along (changing the then "correct" aspect), the old version was wrong, but the new one is correct. Rinse and repeat.

I supported Assetto Corsa from the first day of early access, but I didn't actually play it until the official Nordschleife pack came out (it's my favourite track, so I wanted that to be the first track I drove). I haven't played a racing sim in a while because I've been playing other game genres, but I really enjoyed Assetto Corsa when I was playing it and there have been various updates since I last played to look forward to for next time I play. I still want to like Project CARS but the many issues it has/had make it difficult.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #36,068 of 48,562
Haha coincidentally Ev mentions Beyer's closed 1770 and boom. Front page shows Beyer announcing the new open 1990.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814629/beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-beyers-open-back-mastering-headphone#post_12731229

Very interesting. Wonder if they fixed the upper frequency issues while keeping that good bass the 990 is known for.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #36,069 of 48,562
Haha coincidentally Ev mentions Beyer's closed 1770 and boom. Front page shows Beyer announcing the new open 1990.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814629/beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-beyers-open-back-mastering-headphone#post_12731229

Very interesting. Wonder if they fixed the upper frequency issues while keeping that good bass the 990 is known for.

Umm Im the one that mentioned the DT1990 and Evs mentioned the DT1770...lol

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #36,070 of 48,562
Umm Im the one that mentioned the DT1990 and Evs mentioned the DT1770...lol
Ah, I overlooked your post because it was the last one in the prior page, and Ev didn't bother quoting you. I was wondering why the hell he randomly mentioned the Beyer, but it wasn't random after all haha.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #36,071 of 48,562
Glad it's not another $1500+ new release, as Ev mentions. Seems like most other companies are completely ignoring the mid price range nowadays. Sad because it was that market that put most of them on the map.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #36,072 of 48,562
Nice, but not expecting much

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #36,073 of 48,562
Ah, I overlooked your post because it was the last one in the prior page, and Ev didn't bother quoting you. I was wondering why the hell he randomly mentioned the Beyer, but it wasn't random after all haha.

Lol yeah I realized you said he just randomly mentioned the DT1770.

I read a comment on Beyers Facebook pgae that they did tune something different about the sound signature. Reason he said that was because someone asked for some graphs but they replied by said comment.

Im wondering if if that peak on the DT990s got fixed?

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #36,074 of 48,562
By all accounts, the DT1770 was a fair jump in SQ upgrade over the DT770, so things look promising for the DT1990.

For you gents who tried the DT990 and DT880, which had the sharper/more irritating treble? I realized the DT880 was going too fatiguing for me to keep, but I really liked the T51p small portable and occasionally jones for it :D

Change, thanks for attributing supernatural foresight to me! But yeah, the DT1990 was mentioned in a few Head-Fi places and Rudyrae brought it up, and I am random. I prefer not quoting people if I can provide enough context that I'm replying, because sometimes posts get really long and I don't want to make people scroll too much. But if people need to know what I'm referring to, I try to quote then!

To Napalm's point about gaming headsets... I thought the Astro A30 was shockingly crap, the A40 was decent but not worth the price, a series of turtle beach headsets have broken for my buddies and I've never found the neoprene comfortable, and Tritton were also just "ok" and not particularly outstanding for comfort. The big three are where people's minds usually go for "gaming headsets," though brands like Afterglow and Steelseries don't help. There are some good headsets, but like someone else (Rudy?) pointed out they're often good headphones, with a mic slapped on, and rebranded (Kingston CloudX). That said, there are exceptions... I have no complaints about the Creative H7 @ $130, for example, I like the sound better and it's far more comfortable than the CAL!2. Rarely do I backtrack on my headphone upgrade path, but I do sometimes and more often than most (appreciated Change's suggestion of the K612 way back when. I need new pads for mine). Good gaming marketed headsets are still an exception rather than the norm, and even if they sound decent they rarely are a good value for the price.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #36,075 of 48,562
By all accounts, the DT1770 was a fair jump in SQ upgrade over the DT770, so things look promising for the DT1990.

For you gents who tried the DT990 and DT880, which had the sharper/more irritating treble? I realized the DT880 was going too fatiguing for me to keep, but I really liked the T51p small portable and occasionally jones for it :D

Change, thanks for attributing supernatural foresight to me! But yeah, the DT1990 was mentioned in a few Head-Fi places and Rudyrae brought it up, and I am random. I prefer not quoting people if I can provide enough context that I'm replying, because sometimes posts get really long and I don't want to make people scroll too much. But if people need to know what I'm referring to, I try to quote then!

To Napalm's point about gaming headsets... I thought the Astro A30 was shockingly crap, the A40 was decent but not worth the price, a series of turtle beach headsets have broken for my buddies and I've never found the neoprene comfortable, and Tritton were also just "ok" and not particularly outstanding for comfort. The big three are where people's minds usually go for "gaming headsets," though brands like Afterglow and Steelseries don't help. There are some good headsets, but like someone else (Rudy?) pointed out they're often good headphones, with a mic slapped on, and rebranded (Kingston CloudX). That said, there are exceptions... I have no complaints about the Creative H7 @ $130, for example, I like the sound better and it's far more comfortable than the CAL!2. Rarely do I backtrack on my headphone upgrade path, but I do sometimes and more often than most (appreciated Change's suggestion of the K612 way back when. I need new pads for mine). Good gaming marketed headsets are still an exception rather than the norm, and even if they sound decent they rarely are a good value for the price.

I don't roam around much like I used to, just stick to a couple subs and that's it. Not surprising this is my first time hearing about them. It's either in this thread, front page, or Massdrop that I read about new products. Even then, the front page gets overlooked most of the time because it's usually an announcement too pricey for my wallet. So, yeah, it's usually just here or MD's emails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back