Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 11, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #34,516 of 48,562
Wow, between this and Hifiman's 400i holiday sale... I have to tip my cap to them. Never heard the og 400, but my guess is that is a supreme deal (based on my latest experience with the 400i). Superb sound quality at lower-tierish prices...

Honestly not sure if you'd be into them. I mean they're pretty love hate. They do sound a lot more agreeable with the pad swaps though.

Think of v-shaped but with great bass, low mids, recessed uppers, and very, very spiky treble. Vegans/1540 do much to tame the treble, but may recess the upper mids even more so.

Still, as a fun headphone, it's REALLY great. And I have yet to hear bass as amazing that the HE400, except the og LCD2.2. That double-sided magnet planar bass is seriously something single-sided magnet planars can't seem to reach, no matter how good all these companies are making them.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #34,517 of 48,562
Yeah, my ears don't get along with spikey treble. Still, at that price it would have been nice to at least try, then resell to the next lucky head-fier.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #34,518 of 48,562
i just bought the Astro A40 TR and im Very disappointed with this headset
mad.gif
the soundstage is poor,too much bass,maybe for music they are ok,last night i was reading some reviews on the Mixamp and some people say that the Turtle Beach DSS is better than the Astro Mixamp,i have both products and i like better the Astro Mixamp 2013.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #34,519 of 48,562

Aaah, well I was thinking more along the lines of an i model... Was surprised to see the weight had been reduced to basically the same level as the Oppo PM-2 I liked. And the price was pretty good. Like, my pants in a bunch good. Did I ever say I liked the smoked charcoal finish?

i just bought the Astro A40 TR and im Very disappointed with this headset :mad: the soundstage is poor,too much bass,maybe for music they are ok,last night i was reading some reviews on the Mixamp and some people say that the Turtle Beach DSS is better than the Astro Mixamp, I have both products and i like better the Astro Mixamp 2013.

I haven't heard the TR, but don't say the guide didn't warn you about the A40 :wink:

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #34,521 of 48,562
The thing is, you can get better headphones for the same price. If you wanted a pair of gaming headphones that have good bass, you could've just bought a used pair of X2s for like $150. If I'm not mistaken you mentioned you also have a Modmic so you would be covered.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #34,523 of 48,562
  The thing is, you can get better headphones for the same price. If you wanted a pair of gaming headphones that have good bass, you could've just bought a used pair of X2s for like $150. If I'm not mistaken you mentioned you also have a Modmic so you would be covered.

yeah i know but the thing is that always wanted to try the Astros A40 2 generation but my friend sold me the Astros A40 TR,i told him that i wanted my money back
evil_smiley.gif
and he agreed to give me my money back
beerchug.gif
im going to buy the X2
L3000.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #34,525 of 48,562
I have searched around for feedback of the Sony Mdr-z7's for gaming and can't find any insight comparing them to different sets. I have them currently and feel like they are the best I own for gaming. I have pc360's, hd650, vmoda m100, and Astro a40 tr to compare them to and I'm loving the mdrz7. Does anyone else have any feedback for them?

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #34,526 of 48,562
Yes,

the Sony is best among your list, TH-X/Denon AH-D5k upwards are better though. More air, better soundstage, better low end control, definition and extension for the Fostex..

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #34,528 of 48,562
it's a compromise. 

If the HD 800 is 70% compatible with your music collection then the HD800S is at 90 (modded 650=100%). That's quite a huge step, especially on more modern and synthetic stuff. 

HD 800S sounds sharper and can be a bit more exciting. The very nature of certain peaks. It's why many Beyers are released on the market with them as many people love the excitement they bring, even when it can lead to fake detail. You know that though.

The HD800 peaks works similar. It's less offensive than a T90 or DT990 but it's there. It can have razor qualities, a certain sharpness and liveliness. It doesn't really matter much with classic but it's infamous with quite a few people's favorite tracks and genres as it messes up with many modern recordings with most gear. Something like Odac/o2 should be avoided. 

HD800S

-lower bass extension
-fuller bass, hits harder
-more physical/tactile
-peak pretty well tamed
-sounds more natural in Klangfarben (the very way an instrument or object sounds, its character, should be timbre in English)
-still the same huge and cohorent soundstage as the HD800, imo more cohorent as the resonance in the cups is mostly gone.
-slightly less separation or not quite the reference separation of the HD800 but that's quite a luxury "disadvantage"

HD 800:

-sharper, more razorlike effect in separating detail/instruments, it's subtle but it's noticable
-6K peak leads to less natural Klangfarben but shouldn't matter to most people anyway as few hear instruments regularly or daily
-due to tonality the sense of air is a bit bigger
-lesser bass extension but still that ultrahard and ultratight kickbass, can still go into subbass regions

so in the end: get the HD800S and have more benefits for better music compatibility, tonality, overall better package. 
get a used HD800, mod it french style and love it for its few specialties/advantages.

for gaming a HD800 is already overkill but man, that Philips Dolby Headphone device I recently bought and a HD800. A TH-900 goes lower and is supreme down there but a HD800 soundstage and sense of space remains unique

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #34,529 of 48,562
it's a compromise. 

If the HD 800 is 70% compatible with your music collection then the HD800S is at 90 (modded 650=100%). That's quite a huge step, especially on more modern and synthetic stuff. 

HD 800S sounds sharper and can be a bit more exciting. The very nature of certain peaks. It's why many Beyers are released on the market with them as many people love the excitement they bring, even when it can lead to fake detail. You know that though.

The HD800 peaks works similar. It's less offensive than a T90 or DT990 but it's there. It can have razor qualities, a certain sharpness and liveliness. It doesn't really matter much with classic but it's infamous with quite a few people's favorite tracks and genres as it messes up with many modern recordings with most gear. Something like Odac/o2 should be avoided. 

HD800S

-lower bass extension
-fuller bass, hits harder
-more physical/tactile
-peak pretty well tamed
-sounds more natural in Klangfarben (the very way an instrument or object sounds, its character, should be timbre in English)
-still the same huge and cohorent soundstage as the HD800, imo more cohorent as the resonance in the cups is mostly gone.
-slightly less separation or not quite the reference separation of the HD800 but that's quite a luxury "disadvantage"

HD 800:

-sharper, more razorlike effect in separating detail/instruments, it's subtle but it's noticable
-6K peak leads to less natural Klangfarben but shouldn't matter to most people anyway as few hear instruments regularly or daily
-due to tonality the sense of air is a bit bigger
-lesser bass extension but still that ultrahard and ultratight kickbass, can still go into subbass regions

so in the end: get the HD800S and have more benefits for better music compatibility, tonality, overall better package. 
get a used HD800, mod it french style and love it for its few specialties/advantages.

for gaming a HD800 is already overkill but man, that Philips Dolby Headphone device I recently bought and a HD800. A TH-900 goes lower and is supreme down there but a HD800 soundstage and sense of space remains unique

Just to add to this, the bass and lower midrange detail is worse on the hd800s due to the distortion they added to make it slightly warmer. Which may or may not be an issue for some people, as that kind of change can be pleasing to a good portion of folks.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #34,530 of 48,562
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled/3765#post_12416723

good Reviews and summaries

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-s/reviews/14950

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response#46yAGbdGAbZ5Lew6.97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back