Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #34,486 of 48,562
No Man's Sky looks boring. :/

That and randomly generated worlds = no true direction and repeated assets.

So yeah, I have a feeling people are expecting waaaaay too much from this game that isn't even AAA IIRC.

I'm not the right guy to judge this type of game, as I personally don't like any open world games. Give me a linear, narrative driven game with set pieces to play with for 15-20 hours, then I'll move on to something else. I don't like a game that is huge and open but you're essentially doing the same stuff from hour 1 to hour 900. Padding playtime with mundane tasks isn't my idea of fun.

Weird. Reminds me of a game I once played with you :p

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #34,487 of 48,562
Destiny was a very rare thing for me. Even that game was linear, and narrative driven (however minimal the narrative was).

Reason Destiny was a success was because of how good the actual gameplay is. Unlike many open world games that half ass many gameplay mechanics. A lot of mediocre mechanics crammed into one game, instead of focusing on fewer, but much more fleshed out mechanics.

I'd buy the Division, but maaaan, the little I played of the Beta, I was incredibly bored. I was much more impressed by Destiny's accessibility and mechanics.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #34,488 of 48,562
Is the Creative X7 supposed to mute other sound when you attach the headphones?  I've got mine hooked up to the PS4 but it's still outputting sound through the TV when I plug my headphones in... I ended up just having to turn the TV volume all the way down.  I thought I had followed Yethal's diagram and set the console to the right audio settings but since it's not muting, I'm wondering.  
At least the sound quality was nice!

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #34,489 of 48,562
That's a PS4 seeing. Turn off multi audio or whatever is called in the sound settings.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #34,490 of 48,562
I'm really mediocre with console shooters but i just bought a physical copy of the Division for the PS4. Playerbase should turn out to be the strongest and I should start to make friends on consoles. :D

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #34,491 of 48,562
Anyone here intrigued by what No Man's Sky has shown, so far? Im curious as to what some of your thoughts and expectations are.

I'm actually highly anticipating the game.  I went so far as to pre-order the PS4 limited edition the first day it went up for sale last week.  What fascinates me about the game is the vast amount of undiscovered possibilities yet to be uncovered.  And by that I mean things that haven't been seen in the demo's or screenshots, whether that's unique types of species, or geographical aspects like hidden caves, or oddly shaped mountain ranges, or the more recently discussed alien structures that will allow the player to lean the languages of other species.

Another aspect that was discussed in more detail recently was the potential for numerous different threats to your survival.  Not only from the sentinels "policing" the planets, or animals that may attack you (whether or not you provoked them), but also from hostile environments that your suit might not be adequately equipped to protect you from, or even from space pirates or warring factions that mark you and decide to come after you.  I don't suspect it will always be high adrenaline like that, as there will be just as many quiet moments of exploration, but I like that it has the potential to keep you on your toes from time to time too.

I'm also looking forward to experiencing the game audio, as there seems to be a lot of attention paid to the sound effects and overall atmosphere of the locations.  I'm eager to see how it sounds with headphones and DH.  The approach to the game music is also intriguing, as it is also being procedurally triggered/composed based on different criteria.  I suspect that they had to make a lot of loops with easily transitioned cross-overs so as to keep it feeling organic and free-flowing.

So yeah, imo, there's a lot of neat really stuff to look forward to with the whole package!

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #34,492 of 48,562
Well, looks like my friend ultimately decided against the X-Fi Sonic Carrier, so I won't be reviewing that come September.

He's got some other Yamaha sound bar he's pleased with right now and decided he wanted to put most of that money toward the HTC Vive instead. Still waiting on the refund, though.

As for No Man's Sky, I'm keeping my eyes on that one. While I'm not sure I'd go and spend $60 for it right off the bat, I do like exploring new worlds and all. The problem is that it's going to be released at a time when I'll probably be glued to Elite Dangerous with a Rift strapped to my face for my space exploration fix.

Oh, and on an actual headphone-related note, what do you guys think of this?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/248983394/ossic-x-the-first-3d-audio-headphones-calibrated-t

I get the feeling the tech would be better-suited to a standalone headphone DSP, but hey, maybe they can somehow make a multi-driver headphone not totally suck.

What actually excites me about this isn't the headphone itself, but the fact that they're pushing heavily for object-based audio formats like PC games used to have. Maybe we'll get proper 3D audio back. However, I'm not banking on it happening for just this one specific headphone. Too niche.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #34,493 of 48,562
what? Why? We don't need to rely upon them for object-based audio.

VR is bringing object-based audio back full force. The future looks bright.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #34,494 of 48,562
I'm really mediocre with console shooters but i just bought a physical copy of the Division for the PS4. Playerbase should turn out to be the strongest and I should start to make friends on consoles. :D
It seems Ubisoft is going the same route Activision went with Destiny, so there should be plenty friends to make. Since there is basically nothing to do in that game, right now, expect them all (if not most) to migrate over to Division.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #34,495 of 48,562
Yeah, i think thats what is happening with Destiny. My clan is moving over to Division last I checked.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #34,496 of 48,562
Hahaha. I'm taking the 'wait and see' approach, something I originally intended to do with Activision's Destiny. I hate all of you because of that damn game :p

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #34,498 of 48,562
Never heard it. Can't say anything about it.

So I rented the Division at Redbox, and I'll play later on today, alone, for testing. :p

Consider it a $3.00 test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back