Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #34,036 of 48,583

Set it like it looks in the picture below.

Most people prefer the "DH2" medium setting of dolby heapdhone, myself included.  DH1 is also OK, but I would NOT recommend DH3 as it's a reverby mess.

That picture is mostly correct, but you shouldn't max out volume, for clipping related reasons. Dolby headphone does a lot of mixing, and whenever you mix, you are summing the volume of multiple channels, and this can go beyond the maximum volume. So you want to leave yourself some headroom. Like 50-70% volume tops.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #34,037 of 48,583
I just got my dx clip on mic today in the mail so that i would no longer have to wear my old headset around my neck as a mic while wearing my X2s. Sadly, the cable microphonics are so bad that it creates super loud static sounds constantly that can be heard over chat, making it essentially useless. Oh well, at least it was only 3 bucks. Back to wearing 2 headphones for now.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #34,038 of 48,583
Max volume does not always =/= clipping, especially when Chicolom isn't using the analog out in that image, he's using the optical digital/spdif out. You can't clip the digital signal here. He's literally ensuring he's sending the full data transfer with no bit data lost. In this situation, he's sending a Dolby Headphone-laced digital signal to another dac.

Had it been the analog out, I'd agree clipping is possible, but in this instance, Chicolom is 100% correct to max volume for best results.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #34,043 of 48,583
Max volume does not always =/= clipping, especially when Chicolom isn't using the analog out in that image, he's using the optical digital/spdif out. You can't clip the digital signal here. He's literally ensuring he's sending the full data transfer with no bit data lost. In this situation, he's sending a Dolby Headphone-laced digital signal to another dac.

Had it been the analog out, I'd agree clipping is possible, but in this instance, Chicolom is 100% correct to max volume for best results.

No, that's the interesting thing, he can clip the digital signal because it is 24 bit integer and not floating point. There is a finite range of volumes with integer audio, and when you are combining the volumes of, for example, front left channel, side left channel, back left channel, subwoofer, and the hrtf filtered components of the right side, all into one channel (the left channel), you can easily go out of range. Lowering the volume gives you some headroom to prevent that.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #34,050 of 48,583
I need some advice regarding using a USB Snowball Mic connected to the PS4 along with a 2014 Mixamp Pro. Will the Snowball and Mixamp work fine together both connected via USB to PS4? I'm wanting to try a different mic setup that isn't connected through the Mixamp because the Mixamp seems to noticeably degrade mic quality compared to even connecting directly to the DS4 controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back